#119830  by playingdead

Probably the bypass foot switch, which used to be below the part they incorporated into the rack. Says "in" and "out" if you look close.
 #119875  by cmc64

mijknahs wrote:That way he could still use it as a clean boost when the effect is switched off but the gain knob still works as a level boost.
I have been wondering the same thing (and apparently there is a thread around here somewhere that covers this, which I can not find) but as an owner of a vintage Mu-Tron III I can tell you the pedal is not a true bypass pedal and your the level of your incoming signal is completely controlled by that gain know even if the effect is bypassed so I think it must be for some other purpose.
 #119877  by mijknahs

gpilcher2001 wrote:Here's a link referencing the subject. forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=10187&p=959 ... ron#p95974
It was not to raise the signal in the OBEL since Jerry had each pedal in its own separate loop (at least by the 80's). It could have been used as a "dirt" boost though with envelope effect off (via the toggle switch). There are definitely times that he sounds a bit "dirtier" than his normal clean sound yet not a distortion pedal dirt. Just speculation though.
 #119878  by gpilcher2001

Here's another link to a thread stating that it was the footswitch moved to allow for the rack mounting. I do concur with mijknahs on the dirt boost thing. I have read that theory around here also but can't find the thread. Greg...

forum/viewtopic.php?f=334&t=6910&hilit= ... h&start=15