#119815  by Forgotten Space

I have heard this is a key part of his tone, especially in the 80's and early 90's. When I add compressors to my effects chain, I do not seem to get the results I am looking for. A good thread on using compression and how the attack and threshold (and other settings) play into the tone would be amazing.
 #119826  by JonnyBoy

what he uses now for compression and limiting is totally different than a boss pedal or the like. Strumminsix would know a lot more about this than me for sure, he has talked about his conpression before. Maybe he used one for that wild ass distortion to keep his dynamics in check so he could dodge dive dip duck and.... Dodge during the songs.
 #119842  by strumminsix

JonnyBoy wrote:what he uses now for compression and limiting is totally different than a boss pedal or the like. Strumminsix would know a lot more about this than me for sure, he has talked about his conpression before. Maybe he used one for that wild ass distortion to keep his dynamics in check so he could dodge dive dip duck and.... Dodge during the songs.
Thanks, Johnnyboy. right you are that I've delved into this camp.

My "Bobby goal" is around the modern tonal dynamics and approach with the 76 overall tone.

To do this I used a Presonus Eureka. Worked very good for this. Medium attack, fast release, don't sidechain, use makeup gain to equal volume IMO it doesn't need more than a 3:1 ratio.

My #1 guitar now has a killer circuit and great tone from volume and tone on 1 and 1 all the way up to 10 and 10 with all sorts of pickup configs. So nowadays I use the knobs vs compressor.