#112432  by Jon S.

Remember, the question is am I nuts for having this specific idea, not generally. :P

Although I already have two awesome Jerrycasters (Tiger types), lately I find myself daydreaming about taking a raw Tele body, routing it for just one appropriately situated middle humbucker (a S2) w/a tap minitoggle, and creating the world's first "Jerry-bronita."

With an OBUGB & OBEL, it could work! :-)
 #112436  by TI4-1009

Pete B. wrote:fwiw, I've heard tons of Tele players in Country bands that sound alot like Jerry and don't even know it.

As long as they don't sound too much like Jerry.....
 #117726  by Mosfed

Jon S. wrote:Remember, the question is am I nuts for having this specific idea, not generally. :P

Although I already have two awesome Jerrycasters (Tiger types), lately I find myself daydreaming about taking a raw Tele body, routing it for just one appropriately situated middle humbucker (a S2) w/a tap minitoggle, and creating the world's first "Jerry-bronita."

With an OBUGB & OBEL, it could work! :-)
This is a very cool idea. I have a Custom Shop 2 pickup Cabronita that is one of my favorite guitars. There are so many different makers of Cab bodies today that I am sure you could find someone to do it for you correctly.

Let us know how it turns out. Very original and very cool
 #119735  by Tony6Strings

Some reason, a Tele lipstick neck pickup in the middle position seems to me like it would be great for Jerry tones. I recently put together a Tele partscaster, but alas, no middle pup. More of a neck humbucker, single coil Tele bridge type of thing, to give me a jazz/LP neck pickup lead tone and a tele bridge tone in the same guitar. Actually thought about routing for a middle, but decided against it. Fender has the Modern Player tele which has a strat pup in the middle, looks promising after a pickup swap.
 #119763  by Free Jazz

Yeah - picturing a single, little covered lipstick Tele neck pickup in the center of a slab. That would be the Minimalist's Dream Essence of Late Garcia Tone. What would be the ideal Ohm reading for such a humble thought jewel?

... would love to compare a single P-90 in the middle sweet spot as well. Or how about a Charlie Christian pickup? (Lollar, Biltoft, or CC from the UK)
 #120061  by strumminsix

Free Jazz wrote:Yeah - picturing a single, little covered lipstick Tele neck pickup in the center of a slab. That would be the Minimalist's Dream Essence of Late Garcia Tone. What would be the ideal Ohm reading for such a humble thought jewel?

... would love to compare a single P-90 in the middle sweet spot as well. Or how about a Charlie Christian pickup? (Lollar, Biltoft, or CC from the UK)
I doubt it would sound very Jerry like. While I love other people's tone with P90s, I don't see them fitting in well for either Bobby or Jerry tone in general. Not saying it can't, just that either a standard single, dual or mini would do much better 98% of the time.
 #120096  by Tony6Strings

strumminsix wrote:
Free Jazz wrote:Yeah - picturing a single, little covered lipstick Tele neck pickup in the center of a slab. That would be the Minimalist's Dream Essence of Late Garcia Tone. What would be the ideal Ohm reading for such a humble thought jewel?

I doubt it would sound very Jerry like. While I love other people's tone with P90s, I don't see them fitting in well for either Bobby or Jerry tone in general. Not saying it can't, just that either a standard single, dual or mini would do much better 98% of the time.
Didn't Jerry play a P-90 equipped Gibson back in the early days? I could be wrong. Anyways, while perhaps not the best thing for the ultra clean Jerry timbre, P-90's are freakin awesome tone monsters if you pair the right set with the right guitar. My boss has a P-90 loaded SG, it's unstoppable. Kind of a nice middle ground between single coil and humbucker. Speaking of which, lately I've been loving the tone I'm getting from mini buckers. There's this double cut away LP I've been playing which is equipped with these, again not ideal for Jerry sounds, very nice for lots of other stuff, IE neck mini bucker + compressor makes for a great jazz tone.
 #120097  by Pete B.

I recently played a MIC Fender Tele with P-90's in a new guitar store in my area. $329 Brand new. Sounded really strong. I have a Thinline Tele that originally had the big square pickups in it, but now has a set of Texas Specials.
I would like to try a set of P90's in that axe. I have it set up so the wires that come from the switch/pots are easy-access. I can switch pickups by just raising the strings. I hold them in place with a capo at fret 2 and a bath-towell between the strings and neck, then i can pop a new pickup in there (velcro), and twist the wires together, and I'm playing again. I currently have a volume pot (in series with the neck pickup) that is just dangling from the guitar (wires ran under the pick guard)! Fun for experimenting. I like that tone with both pickups on, and the neck pickup volume rolled off just a little (easily done on a Les Paul).
I'll come across a set or P90's somewhere in my travels sooner or later, and give 'em a run.
 #120207  by Mosfed

Tony6Strings wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

Didn't Jerry play a P-90 equipped Gibson back in the early days? I could be wrong. Anyways, while perhaps not the best thing for the ultra clean Jerry timbre, P-90's are freakin awesome tone monsters if you pair the right set with the right guitar. My boss has a P-90 loaded SG, it's unstoppable. Kind of a nice middle ground between single coil and humbucker. Speaking of which, lately I've been loving the tone I'm getting from mini buckers. There's this double cut away LP I've been playing which is equipped with these, again not ideal for Jerry sounds, very nice for lots of other stuff, IE neck mini bucker + compressor makes for a great jazz tone.
I've got a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Junior and a 1951 Gibson Royaltone lap steel that have ruined modern p-90s for me. There is such a difference btwn the sound of the vintage ones compared to the new Gibsons in either the Gibson USA SG Classic or a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Special double cut. I haven't heard Lollar P90s or David Allen ones. Frankly if I wanted a new P-90 guitar I would consider buying an old beat up lap steel and pulling the pickups.