#119483  by gr8fullfred

OK maybe Bobby does not suck at slide, but both Jerry and I could not wait for him to put that damn slide down!
 #119490  by mgbills

And I will go out on a limb and say I could've used some Classic Bob at the Edgefield, and not the House Cat-in-a-vise Bob.
 #119601  by lost sailor

Bobby's slide playing was not my favorite thing to hear, but he is still the best rhythm guitar player EVER -- He jams chord riffs like a jazz
player -- you can't really play Dead songs without understanding what Bobby did -- cowboy chords don't come close, so playing them kind of
makes you play Bobby's style, even if you have to make up for your own limitations. I was a Hendrix man for years, then in the early late 80's/early 90's I wanted to play Dead tunes and learn Jerry's style which I have loved for years but couldn't get it, except for songs from Jerry's first solo album --
That time was a difficult learning experience but it elevated my rhythm playing to a level I only dreamed about before (not that I am that close to Bobby's style). Man, to be able to play like that and sing too -- that's still way beyond me. I still stand in awe of him.
 #119603  by mgbills

I'm really glad this thread has stuck around. It's mentally theraputic.

I was so down on Bob in the '80's. It's easy to glom onto the negative rumor mill, and wonder why the band never shipped him. It was this forum, and the last 7 years of serious guitar study that brought me around. He adds texture that no other rhythm player can touch. Jerry was Bird, and Phil was Dizzy. Where was that kid going to fit. Well ...he did it. In an ever changing landscape.

We all know Jerry added significantly to the rhythm sound. And yet Bob has created a very unique niche, and all of our attempts to play this truly great music are for naught if we can't capture the hidden magic.

Sincerely,thanks to all.

Now ...somebody make me understand "Why the Ereeeeek noise?" I'm convinced that one day one of use will be making it...for a damn good reason.

Peace
M
 #119604  by TI4-1009

mgbills wrote:Now ...somebody make me understand "Why the Ereeeeek noise?" I'm convinced that one day one of use will be making it...for a damn good reason.
Electric wires to testicles?
 #119606  by mgbills

OK. I've plainly stated I'll have Tiff cut off my middle finger. I'm going to have to consider the "Shock Therapy" to play like Bob.

Some of you guys would be jealous though...right...Right!
 #119629  by Tennessee Jedi

mgbills wrote:
I was so down on Bob in the '80's.
Kinda the same here ...
Now its clear that he was as much a front man as the Dead ever could have ( Pig Pen ? ) and the fact the bulk of his tunes also happen to be my fav Jerry jam vehicles ....
Bob has some real nice compositions ..... its a big list ...His playing is so underrated .... He is a Huge part of the G.D.'s sound
Much love to the BobStar
 #119631  by gr8fullfred

Hey, I just want to make it clear that I think Bobby is a great rhythm guitar (one of the best, no doubt).
And a great song writer, and as mentioned great ability to sing while playing chords with weird inversions, and as mentioned Bobby's chord knowledge is beyond awesome, especially for a rock guitarist.

It just that slide playing thing ain't great, and at times sounds, well you know how it sounds.
I can't believe that the rest of the members of the band never asked Bobby to "stop that".
Honestly I think that I am a better slide player than Bob, and I hardly ever play slide.
Freebird anyone?
 #119632  by Tennessee Jedi

gr8fullfred wrote:Hey, I just want to make it clear that I think Bobby is a great rhythm guitar (one of the best, no doubt).
And a great song writer, and as mentioned great ability to sing while playing chords with weird inversions, and as mentioned Bobby's chord knowledge is beyond awesome, especially for a rock guitarist.

It just that slide playing thing ain't great, and at times sounds, well you know how it sounds.
I can't believe that the rest of the members of the band never asked Bobby to "stop that".
Honestly I think that I am a better slide player than Bob, and I hardly ever play slide.
Freebird anyone?
I wonder if bob had a low action back then .... while jerry liked a higher action ...... dont slide guys like their guitars set up w/ a high action ?
I really dig the tunes he plays slide in the back ground - like Althea and stuff ... sounds like the Dead
:smile:
 #119634  by TI4-1009

I remember a crowded basement bathroom line at a Dead show in the Spectrum- early 90's? There was a guy wearing a Bobby t-shirt that almost didn't make it out alive. :lol:

Well, it was Philly, and guys wearing Bobby t-shirts are few and far between...

If my wife didn't go to a show I had to give her the "what Bobby was wearing" report when I got home. :lol: :lol:

But he is an awsome (I don't use that word much) guitarist. As I said, to stand between Lesh and Garcia soloing away and to absorb what was going on and to be able to tie it all together on the fly- not for the faint of heart! :hail:
 #119640  by NSP

Yes, much love for Bobby. He was/is a true innovator in rhythm playing. He carved out a niche that became the glue of the band, often subtle but so perfect. I love the multi-track portion of the GD movie dvd that isolates each player in various mixes. Really cool to hear Bobby's parts by themselves.

But on the slide topic, while he can add some tasty background stuff, more often than not it can be painful. Another movie reference would be his slide playing on the Closing of Winterland dvd during Stagger Lee, especially at the very end...ouch.
 #119672  by GuesstimatedProphet

It's just a shame he was never more prominent in the mix with the dead. He is the glue that allows jerry to play lead and phil to play low lead. I wish I could hear him better so that I could learn more. There are just a few shows that showcase what he's doing.
Is Bobby prominent in the mix or otherwise showcased on any of the official releases? I don't have a hi-speed connection and thus can't get to the Archive, etc. I have also had a very hard time hearing him, especially in the later years, although I always liked his songs and vocals.
 #119692  by Sparechaynge

Postcards of the Hanging (80s/90s) and Hundred Year Hall (E72) have great Bobby mixes. Not too screechy, not too quite. Skull & Roses has him in a good place too but that's not *really* live in most cases.
 #119701  by Pete B.

Regarding the Bobby feedback at the Edgefield...
Go directly to 6min:50sec of this Big River, and listen to the ~10 seconds following the ending.
I heard this sound at the end of alot of songs.
Is this the Bobby Feedback you guys are talking about?
http://archive.org/details/furthur2012- ... nax.flac16
Last edited by Pete B. on Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.