#119551  by SarnoMusicSolutions

The 421 has had a bass roll-off switch ever since the '60s. The really old early ones had a bass cut that was more like a sliding rotating thing without clicks (detents) that would roll bass out. Later it became a 5 position switch and was always there on the 421. It comes in handy sometimes when proximity effect is a problem and you don't have enough control at the board for precise hi-pass filtering.

It really is a mic that belongs in anyone's mic collection. It was all over the Dead's stage for years. It's the classic kick drum mic for the Dead. Tom mic too. They even were singing into them thru the mid/late '70s and early '80s. It's quite the classic Grateful Dead microphone.

B
 #119581  by JonnyBoy

Thats what I really needed to hear. I remember you (brad) saying something about them a while back, but I can't remember what thread we discussed it in. I think I am going to get the MD 421 and see what happens. Brad makes a good point that the Dead used them all over the place for years. They also seem to sell well on ebay used if I don't like it.....

BUT, I have also been hearing great things about the e 906 the past week too so I am kinda split here, they are much more affordable. I was told I could EQ the 906 to get clost to where I want to be so maybe do that first?

Mik I am surprised you used the e 601 because I assumed you used a 421! your clips are a great selling point for these compact sennheiser versions. would love to hear how you/your sound guy balances that mic out at the board with EQ/filters since you use a presonus too. Mike, Jim, Greg, Jedi, Brad, coldshots too. are you just running everything in the middle?

Has anyone figured out how jerry set the mic on the switches? I would think that is important. Maybe they varied? I am lucky to have the newest Presonus board that has great filters, EQ and processors so the e 906 may work just as well for 1/2 the dough.
 #119592  by lunasparks

JonnyBoy wrote: BUT, I have also been hearing great things about the e 906 the past week too so I am kinda split here, they are much more affordable. I was told I could EQ the 906 to get clost to where I want to be so maybe do that first?
I actually ordered the e906 online over the weekend. Should arrive this week. If all goes well, I'll try to post some clips this weekend, maybe even a comparison with SM57 ... unfortunately, no MD 421 at the moment, but who knows where the GAS will take me next? :-)
 #119639  by Tennessee Jedi

lunasparks wrote:
JonnyBoy wrote: BUT, I have also been hearing great things about the e 906 the past week too so I am kinda split here, they are much more affordable. I was told I could EQ the 906 to get clost to where I want to be so maybe do that first?
I actually ordered the e906 online over the weekend. Should arrive this week. If all goes well, I'll try to post some clips this weekend, maybe even a comparison with SM57 ... unfortunately, no MD 421 at the moment, but who knows where the GAS will take me next? :-)
thanks def wanna check the results
tapestry wrote:I use an e609 with GREAT results. I never travel without my 609!
How do use it ? Draped over the top or on a mic stand ?
 #119651  by myoung6923

I use my e906 on a mic stand - that way I can position exactly where I want it. Only one side has the mic, so while I have draped it, it could roll and face the wrong way.
 #119661  by Tennessee Jedi

myoung6923 wrote:I use my e906 on a mic stand - that way I can position exactly where I want it. Only one side has the mic, so while I have draped it, it could roll and face the wrong way.
Ok.... on a stand ....Where do you think I should place it ? Do you have a strategy ?
Thanks for the advice
:-)
 #119663  by jester536

I've got a question...I play in small clubs...a lot of times people say your amp will be plenty...we don't need to mic it. I say...I'll keep the amp a little lower...mic it and put some in the FOH. My thought is it will spread the sound out and fill the room a little better. Lots of guys look at me like I'm nuts. Any thoughts? Not meaning to hijack the thread...it just seemed like it fit here. Thanks.
 #119665  by tcsned

Jester, that isn't a bad idea in theory. It certainly makes the sound guy happier to be able to control things in the mix and issues with directionality of the amp are mediated. It does require some self control to not keep turning up :-)
 #119666  by strumminsix

jester536 wrote:I've got a question...I play in small clubs...a lot of times people say your amp will be plenty...we don't need to mic it. I say...I'll keep the amp a little lower...mic it and put some in the FOH. My thought is it will spread the sound out and fill the room a little better. Lots of guys look at me like I'm nuts. Any thoughts? Not meaning to hijack the thread...it just seemed like it fit here. Thanks.
If you have a soundguy, this is the way to go! Most bands should do this but most players won't turn down.
 #119669  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
strumminsix wrote: Most bands should do this but most players won't turn down.
Me sorry.
:cry:
Gonna do the next gig with a 1 x 12 and mic it ... hope for the best
:D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's honestly, more about where you point your amp than anything else. Now volume and speaker configuration are important too!!

Example:
40W 1x12 medium volume pointed directly at soundguy will have you out of the house mix in smaller clubs
40W 1x12 medium volume to the side of the guitarist pointed at him and the corner of club will have you IN the house mix in smaller clubs
 #119670  by jester536

I said amp before just to simplify the post...I'm using and axeFx...and I'm thinking of taking it to the extreme. Out from the axeFx to the board...guitar just in my monitor. We've got a regular gig at this place and we're all going to try to trim down as much as possible to simplify pack ina dn pack out...plus it's Thursday nights so the crowds will probably be on the small side...so I won't need a lot of volume. I'll be sure to let people know how it goes.
 #119681  by lunasparks

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote: And look at a lot of Dead photos to learn where Healy liked to place and aim it. That can make a lot of difference too. Not too close to the metal dustcap, but not too far either. Find that perfect blend of paper and metal and it seems that keeping the capsule just barely outside the outer ring of the dustcap (which is the voice coil too) helps get a good tone.

Brad
Brad, could you give some more pointers (or point to some good pics) on how Jerry's cab was mic'd? Exactly how far away...like 1 inch or 6, for example? Pointed dead on or at an angle? Sounds like not dead center of the dustcap but actually just outside, eh? Any tips appreciated. I still plan to record some clips of the e906 vs. SM57 this weekend...

Thanks,

Vince