#114886  by Mr.Burns

playingdead wrote:The Tiger will be a little meatier sounding, the Strat's a bit thin in comparison, mostly because of all that wood and weight behind it, different fretboard, etc.
When I listened to playingdead's examples comparatively, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was actually hearing the difference between ash (alder?) and cocobola. What about a Strat with an ebony fretboard? I realize Fender doesn't make ebony fretboards, but plenty of skilled luthiers out there do. Possible workaround, or am I just crazy?
 #114887  by playingdead

Alder, actually. I agree. The highs are thinner with the Strat and there is a lack of lows. It's not something that can really be EQ'd. That Strat has a rosewood fingerboard.

My Walker guitar has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard, maple top and rosewood body, but it's not as thin as the Strat. It's probably a combo of the set neck and heavier wood body. Anchored bridge, too.
 #114895  by strumminsix

You'd probably want to use your current Strat as a back-up and work on a specific Jerry type guitar.

If you feel you have a good handle on what you'd like you could order the parts and put one together yourself. Not all that difficult just time consuming. At the end you could always take it to a tech for a good setup if you feel it needs it and likely come out hundreds of dollars ahead.
 #114908  by mgbills

Just an opinion...
My belief is that the Jerry-Althea-growl starts with the string set up. The higher action allows enough string oscillation to create the growl. If you haven't played a guitar set up like Jerry's, it isn't "high" action. It's about like playing a well set up acoustic. Roughly.

Recently Waldo & I co-conspired on Strat pickguards that moves the pickups toward the bridge. From Waldo's measurements of Rosebud, and his Moriarty we condensed the HHS pattern. I've just finished a Strat re-build with this configuration, and it is...awesome-er. Pics to follow when I have some time.

Then...amp. EL84 will growl modestly through my Mesa > JBL120. 6V6 growl more. 6L6's pushed...GROWL. I don't have access to my home email, but Waldo gave me a great mod for a cap in the pre-amp...that promotes growl.

I don't yet own a Cocobolo HippySandich. But most of the tonal characteristics can be produced with a properly set up Strat with a blocked trem. I'm certain that a guitar with a core of higher density wood will add low harmonics, sustain, and an awesome coolness factor. I can't stop buying amps long enough to buy one. And my son (the luthier) is getting married in July, so my prototype wont come off his bench until Sept/Oct.

That's what I believe on this subject.
Peace
M
 #114994  by calbucks09

Thanks again guys. this is all very helpful and enlightening. i had not considered the string height and had not thought about the tremolo on my strat, but that makes a ton of sense!

growl is essential. I will be playing thru a preamp > Mesa 50 > single JBL k120 pre-amp as yet undetermined, but 90% likely the Sarno solution.

I think have to go custom or I will just go mad wondering 'what if' . I am not experienced enough to do the work myself, and I won't get enough growl from my Ash / rosewood strat. I think i'll hang onto the strat for the blues stuff I like to play as well... It is like butter for the minor pentatonic noodling

I'll follow up with results once I figure it all out and get something made in a few months.

thanks!
 #115374  by Rojack01

I would get some hard graphite picks and rewire the thing myself, cheapest and most effective way I can think of. I myself use a vintage spec strat and a tele that I modified and I find that I can get pretty close just with technique and those Adamas picks. Using a rigid flat pick is vastly overlooked in the search for "the tone". I am sure that everyone is diff, but that is my experience
:P
 #116504  by Mosfed

Phil Gawen at Phiga does amazing work. Truly top class. Especially the wood work, feel of the neck, etc. sounds amazing too
 #119353  by quaack3

I highly suggest that if looking into this, contact Andrew at AO Guitars. He did awesome work on my strat!!! it sounds great and plays like a dream.

I tried to upload a photo but got a board attachement quota has been reached??? Anyone know what that is about or did i do something wrong???

Lets try posting the pic....hope it works as its my first???
Last edited by quaack3 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #119355  by Tennessee Jedi

quaack3 wrote:I highly suggest that if looking into this, contact Andrew at AO Guitars. He did awesome work on my strat!!! it sounds great and plays like a dream.

I tried to upload a photo but got a board attachement quota has been reached??? Anyone know what that is about or did i do something wrong???
Pic has to be hosted on another site like FB or something and not your computer
When thats done ... right click and do save image
In the header bar above click the IMG bracket ....
In between the brackets is where you put the image ....
Took me a few years to catch on
:D
 #119382  by barefootdave

You can also get fantastic necks from Warmoth that have fat slabs of ebony for fingerboards. Also available is your choice of radius and fret wire. I have one on my strat and it is far superior in tone and feel to a Fender neck. I also love the way ebony feels under the fingers, although the rosewood on my Les Paul and Paul Reed Smiths have great tone. I am not crazy about the feel of maple finger boards.
 #119430  by cmc64

quaack3 wrote:I highly suggest that if looking into this, contact Andrew at AO Guitars. He did awesome work on my strat!!! it sounds great and plays like a dream.

I am planning on sending my main #1 Strat to AO Guitars for the Jerryfication. Ash body, birds-eye maple neck/fretboard - sounds great and (at least for me) plays like a dream. For my purposes his mods I believe will more than satisfy my tonal needs.

I am pretty excited about it - with my Mesa MK IIB & K-120 2x12 I should have my hands full (for a while, at least :-) )

Edit: FWIW, Andrew just made me a speaker cable for the Mesa -> K-120 2x12 and it is beautiful.
 #119558  by quaack3

You will be happy with the new sound! Enjoy it!!

cmc64 wrote:

I am planning on sending my main #1 Strat to AO Guitars for the Jerryfication. Ash body, birds-eye maple neck/fretboard - sounds great and (at least for me) plays like a dream. For my purposes his mods I believe will more than satisfy my tonal needs.

I am pretty excited about it - with my Mesa MK IIB & K-120 2x12 I should have my hands full (for a while, at least :-) )

Edit: FWIW, Andrew just made me a speaker cable for the Mesa -> K-120 2x12 and it is beautiful.