#119451  by Dozin

I dunno, I've heard some pretty good Red Roosters
 #119452  by jeffm725

Dozin wrote:I dunno, I've heard some pretty good Red Roosters
ha, yeah, the "pretty good" Red Rooster slide solos are jerry's :-) :smile:
 #119457  by mgbills

Ahhh Dozin'...you just freed me! I've been tired of that same Allman's show for many years. I've kept it quiet to remain ammenable, but damn it overplayed. Skynyrd is like that for me too. Too Too Too many years of the same stuff. I just got drowsy just thinking about Freebird.

From a players perspective I need to dabble in that stuff, but I am woefully tired of it.

For those of you who don't appreciate Bob's slide fills, find that Rockpalast Video. Nevermind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFeuAbLHro

I dig it. Very non-traditional and unique rhythm work, in my opinion.
Peace
M
 #119461  by mgbills

Ya know...I just re-watched that Althea on my Boss's nickle...

Those guys are good. I might have to listen to those guys some more. And that Jerry guy...he's pretty fuckin' good.

I mean...he's no Curt Cobain, or Slash, or Joe Perry, or Keith Richards ...but he's cool.

:lol:

...30 years and the guy can still thrill me in a Youtube vid.
 #119465  by strumminsix

I think all you Bobby "Bobby learned slide on stage in the 80s and everyone laughed at him" folks are just out of your minds.

Bobby did a shitload of killer background non-blues slide work in the 70s that had a very polished sound:
Note fade = opening jam
Ramble on rose = alternates between slide and fingering
US Blues = alternates between slide and fingering
Sugaree = alternates between slide and fingering
Row jimmy = first solo
Minglewood = 2nd in 2nd solo

Sure, some of his blues stuff in the 80s was odd but that's also combined with have ZERO room for him in the mix as Brent dominated the entire tonal mix and Jerry was cranked to sit in the mix. It's obvious his tone was way too bright to cut into the mix and his volume was sooooo low and, frankly, in too many of the blues numbers you hear Jerry and Brent loose the progression. That is shocking. But I hear it again and again and at the same time i hear those 2 guys doing a turnaround onto the 5th which totally fails for Lil Red Rooster...
 #119469  by gr8fullfred

I hope Bobby never reads this but.................

His slide playing is not that great (really really not that great)
If his slide playing sounds good, its because its so low in the mix you can't hear it.

And I do not care what you guys think about the ABB, 40 years later, the live at the fillmore statsboro blues is freaking awesome. (probably in the top 10 rock songs ever!). And Freebird is also one of the best rock songs ever definitely also in the top 10. Just because you are sick of Freebird, because you spent your entire college career listening to it while drinking beer, in no way diminishes the killer song that Freebird is. I love the dead! I love Freebird! I play Freebird! Anybody want to play Freebird?

And if you ever heard Duane with the dead doing Sugar Mag 2-10-71 I think, it is the ONLY time that Jerry gets blown off the stage by an artist sitting in. On this song, Duane BLOWS JERRY OFF THE STAGE! Come to think of it has been a while, I am going to dig up that one!

Trust me I love the dead, but Bobby's slide playing it is ain't great (being kind here). And honestly, I can't believe that someone who has actually heard Bobby play slide guitar thinks its good.
 #119470  by mgbills

For me it's not that it wasn't great, gr8fulfred, it's just "dead." And I mean that with reverence. It hasn't changed since the Duane days, and his passing is a long time ago. I'm not sure I'll make it all the way to "Blown Off the Stage". I'm not familiar with that particular recording, but I will see if it's on the Archive. Night for night it's no contest. Second guessing myself also tells me that there is a proponderance of GD available, and limited ABB.

At any rate...my main point is that Duane's contribution is fixed in time. And now so is Jerry's. Jerry's evolved massively, and Duane's didn't get the chance.

Thus my boredom...
 #119472  by gr8fullfred

mgbills,

No doubt, the Allmans did not have the long term productivity, evolution, or depth of the dead.
The dead sorta started out slow, and continuously grew.
The ABB rose like a rocket and then crashed like one.
The ABB are a little like the Beach Boys. They have a core group of songs that they sorta ride forever.
The dead had a core group of songs also, but it was much bigger and always had new tunes added.
Duane however is a different story. Duane had more of a three year career verses Jerry's 30 year career. Duane made a huge mark in the short time he was here, and there is no telling how great he might have been had he lived longer. Of course same could be said for Jerry, but we have a large body of Jerry's work to cherish.

BTW, the ABB drew me to my first dead show, RFK in 73 Dead, Allmans, Wet Willie, WOS!
 #119474  by mgbills

I agree 100%. As I alluded to in my earlier post, I'm not happy about it having been overplayed in my head.
We have the benefit of Archive. For myself, I study Dead shows and relish them. They're always new.
It's like Marley, who I only started being able to listen to again. The same albums repeated too often.

Really it's my own fault for being obsessive. I hope it never comes to that with Jerry. Where would I go from there?

For my part I certainly acknowledge the greatness.
 #119481  by Mr.Burns

I love me a good Werewolves for some Bob slide. 7-8-78 comes to mind, fantastic slide work, and not overstated at all. After Bob plays some tasty slide, Jerry takes over and plays fretted notes. But what's amazing is Bob's fill work with the slide, perfectly complementing what Jerry is doing. Bob may not be one of the all time greats, but he doesn't exactly suck, either.