distortion +
Boss turbo OD
qtron +
Boss Octave
Boss DD
Phase 100
FBR JR blend
Ground Control GCX

I recently found out by accident that the preamp tubes make a huge difference in tone. i had one go bad and moved them all around in the twin and wow! The tne was even better than before. Im going to get some more NOS tubes and play around with them.
 #119141  by mijknahs

tapestry wrote:I recently found out by accident that the preamp tubes make a huge difference in tone. i had one go bad and moved them all around in the twin and wow! The tne was even better than before. Im going to get some more NOS tubes and play around with them.
Love the Twin. I've been rediscovering the Twin's power tube section recently.

I also noticed that the preamp tubes really change the tone of the amp. I didn't notice it as much before or thought it was a "trick of my ears" but recently I switched the main preamp tube (#2) from a Sovtek WXT to a new re-issue Tung Sol and the tone was smoother and less harsh. I could totally tell the difference.
 #119144  by Pete B.

How did you get the recording to sound so great?
It's so "present" and Lush.
What is your vocal rig?
Your Jerry tone on the intro notes... I love that sound!
 #119147  by jester536

Love that tune and love your take on it. Your playing and tone sound fantastic and the whole band just sound wonderful. Great job. I do love the album version of this tune...those sweet, high, ringing into chords that Garcia hits sound just exactly perfect to me...never have been quite sure of the voicings ...? Thanks for posting.
 #119155  by tapestry

Thanks all!

The recording was from the FOH presonus soundboard. We have had mixed results, but when it comes out like this its when the sound guy listens to me. I say "I like it hot and wet, the band will control dynamics" and if they listen it comes out good. Some sound guys are afraid to open up the channels and let the band play because some bands play too loud or dont have dynamics. If your band does play dynamically and you can convince your sound guy of that, it helps a ton. Plus, most sound guys (that i work with) are so afraid of reverb. I tell them "if it sounds like a bit too much, its probably perfect!"

The guy running sound this particular night listened and got it just right for my tastes.

The vocal rig? well, Kat Walkerson of course! ;)

Im doing a run off the e and a strings to an a7 chord sliding up from flat. does that make sense?

Im a believer that the tone comes from 50% gear / 50% touch. Ive heard other people play through my rig and it sounds nothing like what you hear when I play through it. Getting the gear is only one part, but I think we all know that. :) Thanks for all the positive feedback...most of you were very helpful in helping me get my gear together...escpecially wlado!