When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #118982  by Lunchbox16

Has anyone here purchased the live versions of furthur shows? Are they burned CDs or are they factory made silvers? I bought a RRE show from livedownloads.com and it was the former when I was expecting the latter. A few burned CDs wasn't worth the extra cost to me. Was wondering what the Furthur shows were like.

Thanks!
 #119011  by Mr.Burns

When it comes to live recordings, there's not many "factory" made discs around anymore, or even "factories" to make them. What you're talking about is the difference between replicated and duplicated discs. "Factory" discs, as you put it, are replicated from a glass master, and a "burned" CD-R is duplicated. No difference in sound quality, and in fact the ONLY difference is in compatibility, which is made less significant every day by technology.

That being said, I'm SURE Furthur's live recordings are duplicated due to the relatively small number of discs being made.

None of this has any bearing on the actual quality of the recording contained on said discs.
 #119020  by Lunchbox16

That's what I assumed. I am considering purchasing the Red Rocks run when it becomes available and if they are just burned CD-Rs there's little incentive to purchase the physical media over the FLAC downloads. I can always burn my own and I archive everything in FLAC anyway so it just saves a step or two.

Cheers!
 #119023  by Smolder

not sure why you'd bother. I assumed it was more expensive when I bought and downloaded the Saturday night show this morning.

It's good enough I'll probably spring for the other two. Sort of my self compensation for living 7 miles from red rocks, but not being able to see a single show. Next year I will be more prepared... and I am definitely gonna see the Kimock shows in October.
 #119087  by zambiland

Smolder wrote:not sure why you'd bother. I assumed it was more expensive when I bought and downloaded the Saturday night show this morning.

It's good enough I'll probably spring for the other two. Sort of my self compensation for living 7 miles from red rocks, but not being able to see a single show. Next year I will be more prepared... and I am definitely gonna see the Kimock shows in October.
I'm a little further than 7 miles. More like 12, but I still missed them all. Definitely next time.
 #119089  by vwjodyme

They also had live streaming for red reocks that i was able to listen to most of on my phone...i think Hogan's band facebooked it out right before the show :hail:
 #119091  by strumminsix

Lunchbox16 wrote:Has anyone here purchased the live versions of furthur shows? Are they burned CDs or are they factory made silvers? I bought a RRE show from livedownloads.com and it was the former when I was expecting the latter. A few burned CDs wasn't worth the extra cost to me. Was wondering what the Furthur shows were like.

Thanks!
What do you mean by "factory made silvers"??? It's digital data, so it's a series of bits and bytes that are either on or off.

What you need to make sure of is that the discs last for year. For that, I use Taiyo Yuden. Which are factory made and silver :-)
 #119098  by Lunchbox16

strummin - by factory silver I mean the type of CDs you purchase in the store (or perhaps on Amazon nowadays) as opposed to discs that one can burn on their own. For example, I bought the discs of a RRE show I attended on 12/30/11 thinking they'd be the former, but when I flipped them over they were just regular blue dye CD-Rs that had been burned. In other words, I wasted an extra few bucks on discs when I should have just gotten the download, saved the time with DAE, etc.

I bought the downloads of the Red Rocks run and am currently listening to them. They sound great. As much as I would have liked to attend all three shows, I'm more than content spending about $50 for SBDs of all three rather than three times that (or more?) to attend them.
 #119099  by strumminsix

Lunchbox16 wrote:strummin - by factory silver I mean the type of CDs you purchase in the store (or perhaps on Amazon nowadays) as opposed to discs that one can burn on their own. For example, I bought the discs of a RRE show I attended on 12/30/11 thinking they'd be the former, but when I flipped them over they were just regular blue dye CD-Rs that had been burned. In other words, I wasted an extra few bucks on discs when I should have just gotten the download, saved the time with DAE, etc.

I bought the downloads of the Red Rocks run and am currently listening to them. They sound great. As much as I would have liked to attend all three shows, I'm more than content spending about $50 for SBDs of all three rather than three times that (or more?) to attend them.

http://www.edocpublish.com/history_of_t ... en_cdr.htm
Is there a difference between pressed CDs and silver CD-Rs?

Besides the fact that a pressed CD is made differently than a CD-R, the difference would be in the change of color on the bottom of the disc. A pressed CD has the same shade of silver all the way across. A CD-R will have a change in shade between the burned and unburned sections. If the CD-R was burned to capacity, there is no real way to visibly tell the difference between the two discs.
Nowadays the whole pressed vs written is minimal as the consumer has access to high quality media.
 #119100  by tigger

I would think most of their cd sales are made on-site after the performance...no way are they going to be anything but burns. If you weren't there, you might as well just download the lossless files.
 #119130  by WildEye

I remember last year being able to download the flac for free the day after - then sent the link to a friend who went with me (a few days after) and you had to pay for it... Is it still like this?
 #119136  by Mr.Burns

No matter what, in order to have "silvers" made, you have to press like 10000 discs minimum. Thats expensive.

Also, color has little to do with quality. CD-Rs are available in silver as well. But Taiyo Yudens are the best discs on the planet, and the ones I use are blue. They are of the highest quality.
 #119143  by Lunchbox16

I never said that colored mattered. I just used that as a metric for establishing that they were CD-Rs and not factory made discs. I have no idea what type of production goes into making these things, or how many are made at each show, hence why I asked in the first place. The disc sets that they sell online - are those leftovers from what was made at the venue or is there a standing order for 5000 (for example) CD sets per show. The color does not matter, and so long as the DAE is error free I don't care if they're the cheapest CD-Rs on the planet. I just need them for DAE. I simply used these terms (e.g. factory silvers) to help differentiate between CD-Rs and non-CD-Rs, which is apparently the nomenclature I should have used initially.

The POINT in all of this is since they are CD-Rs it is not worth the extra money to buy a given show on disc because 1. CD-Rs are cheap and I can burn my own if needs be, 2. most people are going to put them on their computer/device anyway so the CD format has no benefits in that situation.
 #119148  by Mr.Burns

The only situation in which a disc is more beneficial is in a car that only has a CD player. At this juncture the CD towers over all other media in the "listen in the car on the way home from the show" category.

Sorry if I ramble about this, thats what happens when your livelihood is tied to a dying media like CDs. The RIAA is ready to get rid of CDs to lower production costs and increase their profit margin exponentially. You should buy discs if only to support the people who make their living producing them. You can think of CD-Rs as "hand-made" by kind folks as opposed to pressed discs that are made by faceless corporate employees, or other digital media that isn't "made" at all. CDs represent the last human aspect of the recording industry, and within 3 years the only places you will be able to buy music on a disc will be Amazon, Wal-Mart, and at gigs where DIYers sell their own recordings. That's the RIAA's own self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, and another prediction: even if 3 years is off by a little, as a medium the CD-R will outlive the factory pressed disc by years, because the demand for replication will disappear when the RIAA stops offering recordings on disc altogether.
 #119153  by Phil Lesh101

They make how ever many wristbands they sell I I assume
Last edited by Phil Lesh101 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.