#118793  by eric

Ive been waddling on the start of my project guitar for quite some time. Then I randomly came across this on the bay today... It has 90% of what I was looking for in a project (walnut, maple, neck through, neck +wings already roughed out)
And it's already vintage wood!!! I could really care less if it's a "Gretsch", I think this is a going to be a grate blank slate!I I also think he's got 1 left if anyone else is interested...

[ebayitem]280938094215[/ebayitem]

It's actually a 1978 Gretsch BST (Beast) 5000. It is a leftover that was never made at the factory . It's a walnut body, walnut/maple neck. Just the wood. From the little information I can find about these particular guitars, the models that were actually produced, came with super 2's (thats enough mojo for me)...

I'm thinking this was a total score yet I'm having problems finding out any real specific info on these. But I'm not sure if I really need that info because it's going to be a custom build toward a simple version of Jerrification...

So, does anyone know anything about these? Have any thoughts, opinions, or tips they wished they knew on their first build? I'm a somewhat competent basement woodworker and have been researching the design and building process for about 2 years now...But this is all new territory...

Game-plan is for me to do all the body assembly, routing and electronics, but I'm going need to find someone to do the neck work (fretboard,wire headstock inlay etc...). Anyone know somebody they could recommend in the southern New England area that would do that competently?

Thanks in advance!!!

Here's what some factory finished ones looked like....pretty sweet if you ask me..

#118798  by strumminsix

Looks nice! I'd suggest pre-sourcing the neck finish work. Many luthiers talk about that taking the bulk of their time.
 #118800  by hippieguy1954

That is a nice find! Very tempting too! It's next to impossible to find a neck through kit. Especially for that price! If I had the tools and the time, I'd buy the other one.

Best of luck with the project! Let us know how it goes!
 #118802  by tcsned

I've got a kit from Gretsch that looks like that guitar, it's an unassebled thru-neck. The fretboard is kind of iffy so I haven't done anything with it yet. That looks like a cool guitar to mess with.
 #118816  by paulinnc

Definitely a good score to build on. It will save you a little bit of time, but you still have to do most of the work. Will you be cutting your own fretboard?
 #118819  by RI Tom

Hi,

I've had great luck bringing my guitars to Domenic at B Sharp in Providence. He's done some great work on a Washburn semi-hollow and a Tele for me.

Hope that helps and good luck - looks like a great project with a cool body!
 #118839  by eric

Thanks for the all replies and info! I'll def be seeking professional help for all the neck work. Ive heard of B Sharp. Ive also had work done by Zach down at Frets in Westerly. He's a super helpful guy and I know hes built quite a few guitars ..I'm hoping to get this project going and finished over this winter .. I'll keep updating my progress as I go. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions along the way.
 #119013  by eric

So it turns out I need a specific Burns Gear o Matic Truss rod with special key. I've contacted Burns and they want US 243 +shipping from London for this thing... That's not gonna happen. Thankfully my EBAY seller accepts returns. I'm gonna do what I should have done in the first place... Get a sweet Soulmate neck. That guy looks like he does stellar work.
 #119018  by paulinnc

eric wrote:So it turns out I need a specific Burns Gear o Matic Truss rod with special key. I've contacted Burns and they want US 243 +shipping from London for this thing... That's not gonna happen. Thankfully my EBAY seller accepts returns. I'm gonna do what I should have done in the first place... Get a sweet Soulmate neck. That guy looks like he does stellar work.
He does and for about the same price as the Burns you can have an awesome custom neck.