#118989  by BJolley

I spent much of the weekend finally turning a plank of San Joaquin claro walnut into the start of a Tiger-inspired build. Now I need to get serious about ordering some hardware. The body is flat with 1/2" round-over rather than archtop. I plan to do a Fender-style hardtail bridge rather than TOM and I'm looking at both the Hipshot hardtail or the Schaller 475. Does anyone have experience with either of these?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-p ... 3809_n.jpg
 #118995  by mgbills

+1 for the Shaller 475. Nice piece of hardware.
 #118999  by tcsned

mgbills wrote:+1 for the Shaller 475. Nice piece of hardware.
+2 on that. I've got that bridge on 2 guitars and love it.
 #119006  by Mr.Burns

I have a Schaller 477 and it may be the greatest hardtail bridge ever made. It's not quite on a guitar yet, but my experience with Schaller is only positive. Adjustable for height, intonation, and string spacing. Hipshot can't do that. Anybody with a 475/477 ever have the problem I keep reading about? Where the e string pops out of the roller on a bend above the 15th fret?

I know there is a model that is only available overseas with holes/slots for anchoring the ball ends underneath the bridge when used with the riser plate. Anyone ever modify a 475/477 to accept string-thru? When I look at the bridge, I can't shake the feeling that it should be done that way, but it would require some very careful preperation.
 #119008  by mgbills

I really wanted a bridge with the machine quality of the Schaller's, that would also allow the strings to pass through the body. I settled for the fine machine work.
 #119012  by BJolley

Great feedback. I don't mind the absence of string-thru on the Schaller. I have read some comments like those mentioned by Mr. Burns about the low E string coming out of the bridge. That would be my biggest concern -- but sounds like this may not be a problem for the owners on here?
 #119017  by tcsned

BJolley wrote:Great feedback. I don't mind the absence of string-thru on the Schaller. I have read some comments like those mentioned by Mr. Burns about the low E string coming out of the bridge. That would be my biggest concern -- but sounds like this may not be a problem for the owners on here?
I have been known to really beat the shit out of my guitars on occasion and have never had that issue. First guitar with that bridge I used for 3 years or so (100+ shows a year) and the new one for about a year and no problems. I use the Adamas pick too.
 #119070  by BJolley

tcsned wrote:I have been known to really beat the shit out of my guitars on occasion and have never had that issue. First guitar with that bridge I used for 3 years or so (100+ shows a year) and the new one for about a year and no problems. I use the Adamas pick too.
That's a ringing endorsement to this bedroom player.
 #119072  by BJolley

Follow up question: If I go with a >2" bridge spacing (say 2 1/8") I understand I want an F-spaced Super 2 for the bridge, but do I want the same for the middle position or do I want a regular spaced Super 2? I assume F-Spaced as the single coil SDS-1 in the neck will also be F-spaced. Just wondering.
 #119074  by Mr.Burns

Your pickups should all be the same spacing, then use the rollers to match it exactly. Or at least thats how I assume it was intended to be used.