#114796  by toddgardn

Hey Now! Looking for some advice. I've got an opportunity to pick up either 2 JBL D120's or 2 JBL K120's. I've been using Weber California's (2x12 cab) for some time and have been super happy, but when I plugged in a K120, I fell in love & didn't realize what I've been missing!

Each pair consists of one original and one recone (both D's and K's), of which all are in good working order.

It seems to me that D120's are best suited for lower-powered rigs and the K's are would be more rugged than the D's. It also seems to make sense to not mix a d120 and a k120 in the same 2x12 cab. I can't get all of them, but am interested in folks thoughts on which way to go?

I currently run a Strat modded with with a Waldo buffer, OBEL, & Super II's w/split coil; into an SMS classic & Mosvalve 962.

any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

peace,
T
 #114797  by mgbills

I have all 3...mostly due to insanity. I recently acquired my first D, and in a vintage Deluxe reverb...it great. It's a powerful beast for a low watt amp, and causes significant tube rattle when bumped. The same would be true of a K or E...no surprise there. My original thought was to play D's, but K's kept falling in my lap. Now I have been playing regularly with a loud drummer. I'd like to hand him some soba noodles disguised as drum sticks, but...can't get the design just right.

I'd go for the K's. D's are to my ear, a bit warmer than K's, and considerably warmer than E's. K's give you plenty of power (for most of us), and durability as you mentioned. Can't remember what the D's are rated for, but they certainly can be blown. The K's will give you more durability would be my guess. And the tone is always awesome.

My 2 cents.
Peace
M
 #114799  by TI4-1009

Ks
 #114804  by Smolder

I love the original cone D120's, but at this point they are 40-50 years old, and if in good shape they are dry and fragile. When they aren't dry they sound muffled. They are slightly sweeter than K120's, but the K cones seem much more durable. I think it's the rare person that could pick out a D from a K in a band setting.
 #114806  by toddgardn

Hey thanks so much for your opinions guys! I've been playing on this one k120 all day now & can't stop. I can't believe how much I underestimated how important a JBL is to the tone. Two K's it is!!!
 #114809  by strumminsix

Play what you love! K's are great for sure!

It's my understanding that they are very VERY similar sounding but K's handle more volume.

I recall reading that a Twin pushed D's to peak and each one gets 40w max with a Twin.

And your MV amp will give them more than that so it sounds like those Ks you are loving are it!
 #114812  by NSP

toddgardn wrote:Hey thanks so much for your opinions guys! I've been playing on this one k120 all day now & can't stop. I can't believe how much I underestimated how important a JBL is to the tone. Two K's it is!!!
Yep, I think that is a good choice. I've never played through D's, but I like the durability and power handling capabilities of the K's. I love mine!
 #116449  by Mosfed

I actually vote for the Ds. The Alnico gives them a much nicer, rounder sound. I hear a significant difference btwn the two. And I think that their fragility has been overstated
 #116464  by Smolder

Mosfed wrote:I actually vote for the Ds. The Alnico gives them a much nicer, rounder sound. I hear a significant difference btwn the two. And I think that their fragility has been overstated
the K's are alnico as well... but with the same cone used later in the E's (which are ceramic). I've had 5 D's shipped to me in the last year, two made it in tact. 40 year old dry paper is pretty fragile. The E/K cone is much more durable.
 #118705  by Mosfed

Btw - aren't reconed Ds (by the factory) Ks?

I was also wondering - I have a Fender Blues Deluxe and can't justify putting a JBL in there given the general prices here in the UK. Has anyone put a Weber NeoMag with an aluminum cone in a similar amp? I am betting it would be a huge improvement over the stock but would love opinions as to how close the Webers get to the JBLs.
 #118987  by cmc64

I very recently picked up a JBL K-120 2x12 cab - 13 ply Finnish birch - and I was knocked out. They are amazing speakers. Get them if you can!
 #118992  by strumminsix

Mosfed wrote:Btw - aren't reconed Ds (by the factory) Ks?

I was also wondering - I have a Fender Blues Deluxe and can't justify putting a JBL in there given the general prices here in the UK. Has anyone put a Weber NeoMag with an aluminum cone in a similar amp? I am betting it would be a huge improvement over the stock but would love opinions as to how close the Webers get to the JBLs.
As I understand, the K's have a larger magnet - so no.

I have a 40W Fargen Blackface amp with a Weber Neomag dustcap (not a cone) and it sounds great!!!! It's a custom amp and literally sounds like half a Twin Reverb but better, IMO. And I credit alot of that tone to the NeoMag!
 #118994  by Smolder

strumminsix wrote: As I understand, the K's have a larger magnet - so no.

Pretty sure that the K and the D are the same form factor... same mag and basket, but the rest is upgraded for more durability and power handling. Looking at mine, I can not see a difference other than the paint and label.

a nice reference point:

http://www.fretboard.com/jblspeakerclarity.html