#118862  by Phil Lesh101

I have seen a lot of people saying that Bob's black guitar he used in the 90's was a Casio.I'm almost 100% positive that it is a Modulus.

#118870  by Dozin

It's called a Casio PG-380 that was modified with EMG's, replaced the blade switch with toggle switches and a bolt on Modulus neck. They tried a midi system in a blackkinfe and the tracking was horrible. This was the next best thing.
 #118871  by Dozin

The problem with the Casio guitar is over time they loose their tracking and they need to be recapped. Not an easy fix for most techs apparently.
 #118874  by mkaufman

I used to own one. It's a Fujigen build. The details on replacing the caps can be found online - there are about 12 of them. Problem is that they are tiny surface-mounted caps on a PCB. Not so easy replace.

There are multiple snap-in midi modules available for the PG380. Not sure which one(s) Bob used...

mk
 #118891  by Deadhead85

I just picked one up in May, as a birthday gift to myself! They are REALLY great playing and sounding guitars, mine came with EMG's already in it as well! I had to have the MIDI re-tracked, which surprisingly was easy for my tech and was only charged $100 total...and the MIDI was back to life. A thing to keep in mind with the MIDI on these guitars, they do sound decent, but they are far from modern day systems like Roland. They stay in tune great, via the Floyd Rose setup, and there is a push/pull knob for humbucker/coil tap. Between this one and my Cowboy strat, it's always a difficult choice which to play...among all my other guitars! If you ever have the chance to get one, grab it...amazing guitar!
 #119359  by Cmnaround

Here is one on Philly / south Jersey Craig's list for $200. Not mine and I didnt review details - but may be a nice find for those that are building up their Bobby gear collection. Link and description posted below:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/3290852990.html

"PG-380: This was Casio's top of the line guitar, listing for about US$1500. Body: Alder, longer than a Strat's. Pickups: neck and bridge single-coil, bridge humbucker splittable by a push pull switch on the tone control. Bridge: Floyd Rose-style (licensed) locking vibrato. Neck: Maple with ebony 22-fret fingerboard; locking nut.

Guitar was manufactured by Ibanez, with Casio electronics.
This guitar will work as an in put device for any MIDI compatible device, drum machine, sampler, groove box, computer i/o, etc!!!!

This guitar was working perfectly until a few years back, when the midi out put stopped working. The electronics need to be repaired, and I am not experienced enough to make the repair.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is into these vintage midi guitars, and is willing to have it repaired. I am moving out west, and unfortunately, need to pass this relic on. Same guitar Bob Weir used in the late 80's!!!!!"