#118639  by jkstraw

Mosfed wrote:The tone matching sounds too good to be true. Does this serious work? And well?

Unbelievable.

Yes indeed - however isolating a track from the live archives dictates your results. I got an isolated Jerry solo from a multitrack source (from one of those rock band video games - Alabama Getaway). Pretty stellar results......if you like the tone he laid down on that track (I don't :? ).

Mind you it makes for a heck of a jumping off point to tweak from!
 #118659  by barefootdave

The IR file Vic created from his HT JBL cab sounds right to me. He built his own JG patch from what I have read, and tweaked it until it was just right.

For an example of a tone match, check out the patch this kid did from a Rush song that will probably sound familiar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqzSch6j5KQ
 #118660  by playingdead

For a change of pace, try the IR I made off the Hard Truckers 2X10 cabinet with JBL K-110s ... it's one of my favorites. Warm, bell-like tones, not as sterile as the E-120s. Doesn't cut through like the E-120s in the mix, but it sounds great on its own.

http://playingdead.net/02K110.syx

#118668  by Mosfed

jkstraw wrote:
Mosfed wrote:The tone matching sounds too good to be true. Does this serious work? And well?

Unbelievable.

Yes indeed - however isolating a track from the live archives dictates your results. I got an isolated Jerry solo from a multitrack source (from one of those rock band video games - Alabama Getaway). Pretty stellar results......if you like the tone he laid down on that track (I don't :? ).

Mind you it makes for a heck of a jumping off point to tweak from!
So if I read this right - you need an isolated track - otherwise you get all the other stuff? That would make sense. It would then seem to follow that something like the jam out of Foolish Heart (9/18/90) or the jam out of Let it Grow (9/19/90) could work well. there are definite moments there that it is JUST Garcia.

I would love to play around with it. Sounds too cool for words.
 #118678  by barefootdave

Yes, although I have not done it yet, there are some videos on YouTube where users show how to do it. It appears to only take 2-3 seconds of input to accomplish.

Although with the Twin or Deluxe models, a bit of tweaking and Vic's cabinet sims get you most of the way there.
 #118683  by mrMix

Chances are there could be a good patch of isolated Jerry on one of the Winterland 74 shows during Morning Dew....Vic thanks that E120 was great and now I'll giving that new patch a try!
 #118691  by jkstraw

Ohhh just had a thought - the grateful dead movie extras also have an isolated Jerry lead.....gonna try and capture that this weekend with the new axefx v. 8 (new resolution control for tone matching)
 #118698  by playingdead

This is Jerry ...

http://playingdead.net/touch.wav

This is not Jerry ...

http://playingdead.net/touch2.wav

That's one's a guitar solo off a live Playing Dead recording (my Ultra direct to the board) from 4-21-12 in Foxboro MA. I did not use the tone matching feature on it. But you can try off the top file. It's just a certain amount of dirt to the signal, and it's pretty bright when it's isolated. Mine has a longer, deeper reverb to it.

Here's how that solo sounded with the whole band playing:

You can get there with the magic box.
 #118709  by lunasparks

playingdead wrote:This is Jerry ...

http://playingdead.net/touch.wav
First, that sounds pretty damn good! But second: where does one get an isolated Jerry track/lead like that one posted? Sorry if this is old hat, but I didn't know there were isolated Jerry tracks like that Touch solo available...are more like that available on-line? Could someone post links or point me in the right direction?
 #118725  by lunasparks

playingdead wrote:It's definitely from "In the Dark" ... but it's all I have. I would love to hear more, as well ...
Do you have the entire isolated track or just that clip?
 #118726  by playingdead

The track I had at one point had Jerry's and Weir's guitars spliced together -- sometimes it was Weir and sometimes it was Garcia. It's somewhere on another hard drive. I'll try to dig it up. The vocal track of Garcia singing it in the vocal booth is really scary ... there's no gating and you can hear this incredible wheezing and gasping for breath in between verses. I knew he had emphysema but man ... it's amazing he lasted another eight years when you hear how he sounded then. It's pretty spooky.
 #118739  by mrMix

Took my new rig to a gig yesterday - and I can honestly say it's the best tone Ive had to date! I used my Twin settings, Vic's E120 IR (thank you!) and choice effects - and it's all there. I clearly understand now what Vic was saying about the goal of having continuity in tone regardless of venue. I'll continue to tweak some of the amp and effects parameters - but the platform is great :cool:
 #118974  by The Stag

does anyone have a video or any audio of getting a early or mid 80s sound out of a fx? ive been thinking about getting one alot lately. or using the tone match?