#118393  by hgregs

if you guys haven't seen this yet - it's a great example of how different they sound using generic gear. as best as i can tell:
jerry - yamah strat through his GK practice amp
bobby - tele through a peavey combo
phil - fender jazz through an ampeg
fun to hear.

while there's magic in their playing, there's also magic in their own gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4p1zBuqYDk
 #118405  by tcsned

czyfingers wrote:What is the story behind this? What happened to their "real" gear?
I believe they cancelled a show in France and had the opportunity to go play a hash bar in Amsterdam and just left all the stuff and used some local band's gear.
 #118444  by foolofships

tcsned wrote:
czyfingers wrote:What is the story behind this? What happened to their "real" gear?
I believe they cancelled a show in France and had the opportunity to go play a hash bar in Amsterdam and just left all the stuff and used some local band's gear.
That's what I heard. Phil had his bass, but everyone else had borrowed stuff. Every time I hear those shows, I'm amazed by how they sound like themselves, even with borrowed gear.
 #118658  by jenkins

It's amazing how much Jerry still sounds like jerry, his tone clearly has a lot to do with how he plays his guitar. But I wouldn't say his guitar sounds exactly like '81 Jerry on tiger. It sounds more like '70 Jerry when he was still using the power sections of his fenders. It has just a little more dirt in every note. He still sounds great on that gear.

Bobby's tone is similar but def a little different but Phil's really doesn't sound the same. I realize it's a recording and the bass wasn't coming through that great but still, his bass definitely lacked that punch that Phil's have. Phil's amps are definitely designed to compliment his playing style and he def accomplished it.
 #119969  by Mosfed

tcsned wrote:
The Melkweg is not a hash bar. It's a music venue like any other. Still open and still putting on good shows
 #119976  by mijknahs

I can't see Garcia's amp. How can you tell it is his GK practice amp? Sounds great whatever it is. Obviously Jerry is trying to get his signature sound with what he has to work with. The Strat style guitar helps a lot.
 #121465  by Tennessee Jedi

mijknahs wrote:I can't see Garcia's amp. How can you tell it is his GK practice amp? Sounds great whatever it is. Obviously Jerry is trying to get his signature sound with what he has to work with. The Strat style guitar helps a lot.
Behind Jerry you can make out a Peavey bandit .... not sure if thats his amp .....
The Bandit has the 2 white stripes on either side.
Me love a bandit.
:-)
 #121467  by mijknahs

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
mijknahs wrote:I can't see Garcia's amp. How can you tell it is his GK practice amp? Sounds great whatever it is. Obviously Jerry is trying to get his signature sound with what he has to work with. The Strat style guitar helps a lot.
Behind Jerry you can make out a Peavey bandit .... not sure if thats his amp .....
The Bandit has the 2 white stripes on either side.
Me love a bandit.
:-)
I do see a 2x12" Peavey on the floor between Bob and Jerry but I assumed that was Bob's amp. Three seems to be an amp behind Jerry about head level. I can't tell what it is though.
 #121468  by jeffm725

Do you know why the normal gear wasn't there? From what I understand it was because the Dead road crew REFUSED to haul gear to an unscheduled gig.
 #121470  by gr8fullfred

it is not even a strat Jerry is playing, it is some sorta strat like thing.
Phil's bass just sounds like mud in this mix, can't really tell how it sounded.
But they sound good overall, considering they are playing "whatever was available".
We have said it bunch of times, Jerry just sounds like Jerry. The lesson is, it is not all in the gear.
The gear helps, but the gear is just a piece of the puzzle, not the whole enchilada.

Gotta love YouTube though................
 #121474  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:Do you know why the normal gear wasn't there? From what I understand it was because the Dead road crew REFUSED to haul gear to an unscheduled gig.
The gear was already on the way to Paris!