rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #117696  by 1dallek1
 Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:05 am
gutted and redone







Last edited by 1dallek1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 24 times in total.
 #117885  by Yankee Tim
 Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:16 am
Very nice. I have a Liger also with a Wald pre-amp ready and waiting to do the whole OBEL thingy. Just got to buy the sD2's and hardware. Would you post what you did? Parts and supplies and such? Would be awesome. How is the sound now?
 #117896  by 1dallek1
 Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:19 pm
Yankee Tim wrote:Very nice. I have a Liger also with a Wald pre-amp ready and waiting to do the whole OBEL thingy. Just got to buy the sD2's and hardware. Would you post what you did? Parts and supplies and such? Would be awesome. How is the sound now?
I would definitely do that, I firmly believe in using the best ingredients wherever possible and that that no detail is too small
it’s only fair that the owner give his opinion on the job, before and after.
.
As far as the finished product I own the tiger below but was sorry to see the liger leave, the thing really plays, and the company who built it Really takes the whole thing seriously they are great !!!



I cant find BG's pictures here are some.
It's curious but he had a broken pickup that was never realized. Other techs had the instrument for service but ? I don’t miss things



Last edited by 1dallek1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 #117901  by Yankee Tim
 Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:17 am
Wow, those Phiga'a are spot on. Works of art. I wish I could have one but wifey would unload as here bathroom is not remodeled yet, nor is a hot tub on the deck. I swear, her priorities are so fuct.

Yeah, and tips or things I/we could glean would be fantastic. I'm modded axes before, new pots, pips and even some coil splits, but nothing on the scale of this. And since I love this girl much, I want it don to the beat I can do.

With baited breath, YT.
 #117920  by mrMix
 Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:17 pm
The liger is a fine axe for my needs - I posted a review earlier and decided to undertake the electronics upgrade. Not being and "ace" with a soldering iron I assembled the parts and found a local specialist on cl to handle the work. We decided to gut the wiring, upgrade the pots and caps Waldo buffer and super II in the middle and the OBEL. We shielded the cavity and focused on getting the cleanest sound possible.
The work took a few days and the tone is now amazing. I had an opportunity to compare it to a Phiga side by side. While the axe itself does not have the Phiga calibre (brass binding!)she can hold her own quite damn well. Mike's buffer makes a huge difference in the tone - something we are all aware of - and the super II is part of the secret sauce. The new pots are a world different and I'm glad I've made the investment in this keeper as it now sounds as if a blanket has been taken off of my rig and the tone comes alive!
 #117958  by Panicdude
 Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:25 pm
I can't see the picture. Can you repost or something? I don't use facebook either.
 #118178  by BreezyGrass
 Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am
1dallek1 wrote:
Yankee Tim wrote:Very nice. I have a Liger also with a Wald pre-amp ready and waiting to do the whole OBEL thingy. Just got to buy the sD2's and hardware. Would you post what you did? Parts and supplies and such? Would be awesome. How is the sound now?
I would definitely do that, I firmly believe in using the best ingredients wherever possible and that that no detail is too small
it’s only fair that the owner give his opinion on the job, before and after.
.
As far as the finished product I own this product below but was sorry to see this job leave, and the company who built it
Really take the whole thing seriously

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater
Couldn't agree more! Don't wait on the OBEL switch. It is the essential ingredient in the tone. I was lucky to have found Neil here who has helped make monumental improvements in my tone. He's turned me on to using the best ingredients possible down to the littlest detail and they make a huge difference. I don't have the pictures of the control cavity but it was a sloppy mess when I delivered it to him. (Someone else had done the conversion job) The clean up and improvement were game changers for my sound. The guitar is an '76 Ibanez Musician.
 #118261  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:21 am
BreezyGrass wrote:
1dallek1 wrote:
Yankee Tim wrote:Very nice. I have a Liger also with a Wald pre-amp ready and waiting to do the whole OBEL thingy. Just got to buy the sD2's and hardware. Would you post what you did? Parts and supplies and such? Would be awesome. How is the sound now?
I would definitely do that, I firmly believe in using the best ingredients wherever possible and that that no detail is too small
it’s only fair that the owner give his opinion on the job, before and after.
.
As far as the finished product I own this product below but was sorry to see this job leave, and the company who built it
Really take the whole thing seriously

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... =3&theater
Couldn't agree more! Don't wait on the OBEL switch. It is the essential ingredient in the tone. I was lucky to have found Neil here who has helped make monumental improvements in my tone. He's turned me on to using the best ingredients possible down to the littlest detail and they make a huge difference. I don't have the pictures of the control cavity but it was a sloppy mess when I delivered it to him. (Someone else had done the conversion job) The clean up and improvement were game changers for my sound. The guitar is an '76 Ibanez Musician.
Several grains of salt needed for this post IMHO.
 #118262  by strumminsix
 Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 am
BreezyGrass wrote:Couldn't agree more! Don't wait on the OBEL switch. It is the essential ingredient in the tone. I was lucky to have found Neil here who has helped make monumental improvements in my tone. He's turned me on to using the best ingredients possible down to the littlest detail and they make a huge difference. I don't have the pictures of the control cavity but it was a sloppy mess when I delivered it to him. (Someone else had done the conversion job) The clean up and improvement were game changers for my sound. The guitar is an '76 Ibanez Musician.
Are you this guy: http://www.breezygrass.com/about/matty% ... matty.html ?

And are you really saying that you found him here and made the decision to use him after reading dozens of posts ranging from theft to speculation on stealing designs.

And that your first time actually posting is to say how great he is?

This is a fair question as Neil has created alternate ID's to talk about himself here in the past.
 #118277  by Yankee Tim
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:01 am
*shakes head as he realizes he will never have the time to read every RUKind thread and find out who is cool and who sucks ball sack*
 #118278  by Tennessee Jedi
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:29 am
Yankee Tim wrote:*shakes head as he realizes he will never have the time to read every RUKind thread and find out who is cool and who sucks ball sack*
The mods do a great job here keeping the riff raff at bay, bro.
The RUKIND is an Oasis of Civility compared to the Wild West style of most other Forums.
I trust that the members I spend my $ on - guitar/speakers/cables - are straight up legit.
8)
 #118282  by 1dallek1
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:36 am






Not to go off subject , this is just a word about the wiring done on my tiger above. The instrument doesn’t need any praise from me it speaks for itself.

I’ve been doing this long before I ever saw the rosebud schematic but I never flipped the middle pickup and I can't say I see a reason for it without a single coil in the neck position. I want my south in the middle position to be as close to the bridge as possible, that’s my preference. By the way the neck pickup is vintage, can you guess what it is?

I did flip the middle pickup here and reverse wired it, there was a single in the neck position at the time

I have just 2 coil tap switches one for the neck/bridge and one for the middle, the same with the tones. by the way my caps are Vintage Bumble Bees

last I used a bourns 25k push pull switched pot to add phase switching on the middle pickup. this allows you to use either coil north or south either in combination or on its own. and in the humbucker position it really has possibilities.

when I have the time I’m going to make the neck and bridge dual sound with a 3 position switches, that way for the neck and bridge the middle position is tap, the other 2 are parallel and series.

I want to add there is allot of attention spent on historical cloning of instruments. it’s a good idea to keep an open mind with your technology. We are all individuals and we get to the solutions we are looking for in different ways. What I’m trying to say is if you had one of these instruments , like tiger, wolf, and so on, do you think that would make you sound like Garcia? I think there is more to it than that.

By the way here are a few words about my build of the tiger buffer from a customer:

2/2012
customer feedback
"The screws are bleeding genius. I didn't have silver wire handy, but used strand copper with a touch of solder and screwed them right in. The really good thing is the uniform crystal no noise punch. I don't know how else to describe it. The mid-tone to high is awesome, Unbelievably clean."

Coming soon a look at my : "Steinberger/Bud/OBEL"

Last edited by 1dallek1 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 #118322  by willmusic
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm
Just like last time. Awkward now but will soon become really friggin annoying. Neil Koons takes us for idiots ya see? 'Don't fool us once, shame on you. Don't fool us twice... Wait, what?'
 #118323  by TI4-1009
 Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:52 pm
Wow..... :?: