#118048  by Mosfed

Hey guys

I have found a natural 75 strat around my area that I was thinking of turning into an Alligator.

Bat shit stupid idea or not bad?

I would change pups and hardware. Nice neck and beautiful aged color
 #118066  by tigerstrat

70's Fenders are highly collectible and valuable (although nowhere near the quality of 50's/60s). I would choose a guitar of lesser value to mod. 2 cents.
 #118073  by tcsned

I'd say it depends on what you'd have to pay for it. $400-500 and you don't think you'd ever sell it go for it. I have a '79 that I got for $250 that I modded heavily. I've never been one treasure guitars as museum pieces, they meant to be played and made to suit the owner. I'd rather mod a guitar that sounds and plays great than to try to pull music out of a imported Strat that ain't got the mojo.
 #118074  by TI4-1009

tcsned wrote:I'd say it depends on what you'd have to pay for it. $400-500 and you don't think you'd ever sell it go for it. I have a '79 that I got for $250 that I modded heavily. I've never been one treasure guitars as museum pieces, they meant to be played and made to suit the owner. I'd rather mod a guitar that sounds and plays great than to try to pull music out of a imported Strat that ain't got the mojo.
Da Alligata gots to hab da Mojo!
 #118079  by Mosfed

Well it's interesting

I bought the guitar today. Nice shape. perfect grain great neck.

The reissue cost the same as the what I bought. SO I am torn 75s being worth anything doesn't really make too much sense.

pros with this guitar

Great neck
perfect look
not so hallowed a time that you wouldn't be able to justify a refurb.
nicely reliced

Cons:
it is vintage. So do you drop value with the mods or gain value on these forums for a well done alligator.

Still torn but i bought the guitar. i was able to trade two guitars I never played for this. Plus plus.
 #118081  by strumminsix

Mosfed wrote:Well it's interesting

I bought the guitar today. Nice shape. perfect grain great neck.

The reissue cost the same as the what I bought. SO I am torn 75s being worth anything doesn't really make too much sense.

pros with this guitar

Great neck
perfect look
not so hallowed a time that you wouldn't be able to justify a refurb.
nicely reliced

Cons:
it is vintage. So do you drop value with the mods or gain value on these forums for a well done alligator.

Still torn but i bought the guitar. i was able to trade two guitars I never played for this. Plus plus.
My $.02 - do a half Gator of things that can be reversed:
Brass nut
pickups (the ones in there may be perfect)
Stickers can peel off
Swap out the pickguard and do the half brass
New jack and attack the brass to the jack plate so no new holes there
Block your trem and call it a day.

If in a few years you LOVE IT then go for the last part - top loader hardtail
 #118152  by Mr.Burns

I'm pretty sure an Alligator-ed 75 Strat would fetch about the same as you probably paid for it, if not a little less. After all, a 75 headstock will be a dead giveaway. So we're not talking replica money.

I think that's because of two reasons, the first being collectors and guitar players that are not familiar with the real Alligator find it to be somewhat ugly. I've heard Strat guys call Alligator "sacrilege" and a "hack job". I disagree completely.

The second reason is, and this is only a gut feeling, that the type that's drawn here is usually seeking advice on how to build their own Alligator. I think the experience of putting your own together is of considerable worth.

I'm modding a Carvin, so all my mods are painless and worry-free.
 #118174  by Mosfed

I am going to opt for the mods that can be undone should I ever decide to sell it.

Put in a loaded pickguard with D. Allen 69 voodoos and the brass control panel. A brass nut and a term fix. Then if down the road I am jonesin for the Alembic style bridge and rosewood/brass stop bar (for lack of a better word) I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Robert Rusch has offered to do the pickguard and I'll get the work done here in London.

That way, as many of you have said, if I want to go back to the vintage original I have the option.

My guess is hat I could sell the Alligator-like-strat for about what I paid. But I won't be able to sell it for what I paid plus all the brass work.

Thanks for the input. I needed it!
 #118638  by Mosfed

Ordered my parts from Robert Rusch.

- brass nut
- brass saddles for the existing Fender bridge
- brass jack
- loaded pickguard with D.Allen 69 voodoos, a stratoblaster (always on), brass control panel

Ordered my Alligator stickers as well.

Will post picts when I am finished. So far I will not have to drill a single hole in the guitar. Then if I feel the need, the Alembic style bridge, brass sustainer plate, and rosewood / brass riser and string catch will be the next step. But I would really like to put the guitar back to all original should I ever need to sell it.