#118011  by tapestry

Hey everyone! Has anyone actually clipped the sentry monitor on a mcintosh 2100? I was thinking about trying it, but thought id ask first.

Did it sound any better/worse?

Also, I get alot of HISS when I plug anything into my 67 bf twin > macintosh. When there is nothing in the inout it is super quiet, but once I plug in I get alot of hiss. Any ideas?
 #118015  by mgbills

Is your Twin preamp tapped & modded? I haven't modded my Twin yet, but my deluxe became substantially quieter with the cap & resistor mods.

I have a 2100, but I don't play nearly loud enough to get to that magic threshold...yet.
Peace
Marty
 #118016  by mijknahs

tapestry wrote:Hey everyone! Has anyone actually clipped the sentry monitor on a mcintosh 2100? I was thinking about trying it, but thought id ask first.

Did it sound any better/worse?

Also, I get alot of HISS when I plug anything into my 67 bf twin > macintosh. When there is nothing in the inout it is super quiet, but once I plug in I get alot of hiss. Any ideas?
I've tried it both ways and to me it's not a "make or break" type of mod. Not really that big of a deal. I'm not really that convinced that Dan Healy actually removed the sentry monitor circuit from the MC2300 driver boards either. Healy was actually selling one of his NOS boards and the sentry monitor was still there/functional. Those spare boards were there to swap in when necessary and I'd think he would have prep'd them the way he wanted them before it was necessary. I DO believe that he disabled the Power Guard from the MC2500 when Jerry used it in 1982-1983.

Is the noise you get when you plug your guitar in actually HISS or is it more of a HUM/BUZZ? If it doesn't make much noise when it's on and all the volumes are up until you plug your guitar in, I'd suspect your guitar is noisy rather than the amp.
 #118017  by tcsned

I'd agree with Jim on the noise. I wasn't sure my MC2100 was working after I plugged it in and cranked the volume up and heard nothing. It wasn't until I plugged the guitar in that I heard any hiss (not much, my guitar is pretty quiet). If it's not making noise on it's own I can't imagine that it's coming from the amp.
 #118076  by tapestry

Thanks for the tips. I replaced some of the connecting cables between the gcx and the amp and replaced the cable from the mcintosh to the fender tap and the hiss is much better - hardly There!

Ill hold off on the sentry, but i guess i could try it sometime on one of the channels and leave the other alone and a/b it real easy.

Adding the tap to the fender > mcintosh doesnt mean you need more volumn btw, its more for tone and overhead. Dont get me wrong, I can crank my rig and blow the hair off your head with it, but I don't! (often) :)

ill never go back to a stock amp after playing this sweet rig. One other thing I've noticed is that nothing else quite sounds like my rig - I think there is some magic in the twin I have, I did all of waldos suggested mods to it.

Ive tried a few other rigs and heard countless others and tehre is def some character in mine that doesnt exist elswhere. Makes me believe that even with all of the same gear, small subtle things can really change the feel and tone.
 #118843  by oldsmojo

Great to hear. Any chance I can hear this rig..glad you loving it. Hey Mike..maybe see you Friday night in CT? you gonna be playing?
~Joe