#117769  by Yankee Tim

Stepping out of my comfort zone today. While at a guitar shop new to me today, I picked up a set of Curt Mangan 10's. Nickel wound, high iron core. Similar to Vinci and DM. Made in Colorado of all US stuff. Came on recommendation of the shop owner. He prefers these over DMs (tall statement for me). Since these were $3.99 and the DM's are $6.99, he ain't upselling me. Will report back.
 #117775  by Tennessee Jedi

Yankee Tim wrote:http://www.curtmangan.com/10-46-nickel-wound-set/

Plated wire. Intrigued by this.
Sometimes I think I tend to focus on the amps and FX's too the extent that I don't mind the " little things " like picks or strings .... :idea:
I should mix it up a bit and try something new ....
As stated previously on the 'Kind - Jerry had fresh strings for every show - not ready to go that route - yet.
:-)
 #117778  by mijknahs

Yankee Tim wrote:Can anyone confirm if the Vinci sets came with a wound or plain 3rd?
Plain G string for sure (.017)
 #117780  by jeffm725

mijknahs wrote:
Yankee Tim wrote:Can anyone confirm if the Vinci sets came with a wound or plain 3rd?
And an extra E string!!!
 #117781  by Grateful Dad

Been using heavy gauge strings.

.012, .016, .020(p), .032, .042, and . 054.

Brand type is almost irrelevant as strings will lose their quality after a few hours of play. Got to change them almost every week.

The heavy gauge is well suited for finger picking, using the thumb in the bass, and produces a thicker/fatter sound than thinner gauge strings.
 #117788  by Coldshotblues

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Yankee Tim wrote:http://www.curtmangan.com/10-46-nickel-wound-set/

Plated wire. Intrigued by this.
Sometimes I think I tend to focus on the amps and FX's too the extent that I don't mind the " little things " like picks or strings .... :idea:
I should mix it up a bit and try something new ....
As stated previously on the 'Kind - Jerry had fresh strings for every show - not ready to go that route - yet.
:-)
I hear that T Jedi! thats what I'm doin. Adamas and Vinci's I'll hold off on my brother with the axe for now :lol:
 #117790  by jeffm725

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
Coldshotblues wrote: I'll hold off on my brother with the axe for now :lol:
The ultimate Mod !

I perform that mod for a modest price. I guarantee quick, clean work.
 #117796  by TI4-1009

Not authentic unless you get Tiff to do it.
 #117805  by Yankee Tim

mijknahs wrote:
Awesome. These strings are plain G as well. Excited to try them. And the Scot in me loves the $3.99 price point. :lol:
 #117938  by Coldshotblues

I spent the weekend testing the D'addario Pro Steels Definitely a different feel from the Dean Markley Vintage. The tone is not over the top bright but does have a crisp high end glisten. The roundwound strings (E<A<D) do feel a little coarse to the fingers not sure yet if they will change over time. I have read that that feel could cause excessive fret wear. However they do help with the sound of chord accent notes especially on the low end i.e Althea, Cold Rain and Snow,they seem to Pop a little more. The sound from the high E and B strings does seem to sustain a little longer and makes low to high solo runs keep their punch all the way up to the top of the neck with no fallout. I suspect the higher iron content has something to do with the ability of the magnetic pick up to do its job. Overall I'm very pleased with them, I'll see how the string life holds up, corrosion etc. If I can get a good 40 hours of play time I'll be even happier :smile:
 #117939  by mijknahs

Coldshotblues wrote:I spent the weekend testing the D'addario Pro Steels Definitely a different feel from the Dean Markley Vintage. The tone is not over the top bright but does have a crisp high end glisten. The roundwound strings (E<A<D) do feel a little coarse to the fingers not sure yet if they will change over time. I have read that that feel could cause excessive fret wear. However they do help with the sound of chord accent notes especially on the low end i.e Althea, Cold Rain and Snow,they seem to Pop a little more. The sound from the high E and B strings does seem to sustain a little longer and makes low to high solo runs keep their punch all the way up to the top of the neck with no fallout. I suspect the higher iron content has something to do with the ability of the magnetic pick up to do its job. Overall I'm very pleased with them, I'll see how the string life holds up, corrosion etc. If I can get a good 40 hours of play time I'll be even happier :smile:
Also compare them to a set of D'Angelico Hot Nickels. Same idea with higher iron content. They're cheaper too.