#117636  by Coldshotblues

Ok Guys I've been using Dean Markley Vintage Regulars 10-48 for what seems like an eternity. I would like to experiment with something different. Just wondering what everybody else's thoughts are about other brands that I should try. Coated, Uncoated, Nickel or stainless etc.? I like the Dean Markleys but recently bought a dozen packs and have for the first time experienced some quality problems mostly the low E's unraveling kind of a bummer when you finish a re-string and the fresh string is un-tunable! :? Maybe I just got a bad batch. Anyway let's hear about what you are using, how often you change strings, and what brand really helps deliver the "Jerry" tone to your ears. :smile:
 #117637  by TI4-1009

One of our members here who has a lot of experience with the Vincis that Jer used says these are the closest to them that he's found:

http://www.juststrings.com/dan-n-l.html

I picked up a few sets recently but haven't tried them yet.
 #117638  by wolftigerrosebud

New ones. I use D'Addarios and change them every week or before every gig. But DRs are acceptable and while they have less of that super-brand-new string "snap", they last noticeably longer.
 #117641  by tcsned

I wouldn't bother with coated strings as you're paying a lot of money for a coating on half of your strings. Jerry used Vinci strings which I think are being made again, not sure if they are just like the originals or not. I think they are pure nickel but not sure. I've never noticed much tone difference between any of the major string brands. Gauge is more important than brand to me. I used to use D'Addario but switched to Ernie Ball because they are still individually wrapped and easier to find and change on stage.
 #117645  by TRG

I've used DR Titefit 10's for years and then just switched to Fender 250R 10's. My new guitar I got over the winter came with those and I liked them, so have switched to them for the time being, but both the DR Titefit and the Fender 250's sound good to me.
 #117648  by mijknahs

The Vinci's are a bit more magnetic than the standard strings. Definitely not "pure nickel" which is the least magnetic and least bright sounding. I think they are closer to the D'Angelico "Hot Nickle" or the D'Addario "Pro Steel" sets which are more magnetic. I've tried both and they are both good (and similar to Vinci's). I still have about 15 or 20 sets of the Vinci's though.
 #117653  by mrMix

I'm using R.Cocco strings. The give an almost piano like chime to my strat...
 #117690  by Coldshotblues

mijknahs wrote:The Vinci's are a bit more magnetic than the standard strings. Definitely not "pure nickel" which is the least magnetic and least bright sounding. I think they are closer to the D'Angelico "Hot Nickle" or the D'Addario "Pro Steel" sets which are more magnetic. I've tried both and they are both good (and similar to Vinci's). I still have about 15 or 20 sets of the Vinci's though.
Thanks I think im going to try the D'Addario pro steels it appears the Vinci's are not available anymore :cry: although they still have a website. Maybe they will bring them back.
 #117695  by mijknahs

Coldshotblues wrote:
mijknahs wrote:The Vinci's are a bit more magnetic than the standard strings. Definitely not "pure nickel" which is the least magnetic and least bright sounding. I think they are closer to the D'Angelico "Hot Nickle" or the D'Addario "Pro Steel" sets which are more magnetic. I've tried both and they are both good (and similar to Vinci's). I still have about 15 or 20 sets of the Vinci's though.
Thanks I think im going to try the D'Addario pro steels it appears the Vinci's are not available anymore :cry: although they still have a website. Maybe they will bring them back.
The D'Angelico "Hot Nickel"s sounded and felt good plus were cheaper than the D'Addarios.
 #117699  by FBlades95

mijknahs wrote:
FBlades95 wrote:http://www.vincistrings.com/info.asp
They don't make Vinci strings anymore. Have you tried to purchase any? The link takes you to Washburn's website and you can't find any reference to Vinci anymore.
I know they aren't for sale, I only posted that link for the little "The Vinci Story" essay blurb thing. It tells you what they are made of, so you can poke around to find something similar.
 #117701  by mijknahs

FBlades95 wrote:
mijknahs wrote:
FBlades95 wrote:http://www.vincistrings.com/info.asp
They don't make Vinci strings anymore. Have you tried to purchase any? The link takes you to Washburn's website and you can't find any reference to Vinci anymore.
I know they aren't for sale, I only posted that link for the little "The Vinci Story" essay blurb thing. It tells you what they are made of, so you can poke around to find something similar.
Oh, ok. There was some talk that someone thought they still might be making them but unfortunately not.
 #117703  by Yankee Tim

I used Dean Markley exclusively. Regs. Now in the "vintage" package. Never a problem. DM is awesome and if contact them, they'll make you whole again. I would suspect a bad batch.

X2 on gauge being important
 #117708  by Coldshotblues

Yankee Tim wrote:I used Dean Markley exclusively. Regs. Now in the "vintage" package. Never a problem. DM is awesome and if contact them, they'll make you whole again. I would suspect a bad batch.

X2 on gauge being important
Thanks Tim,
I will do that. I have used DM's since 83' and have never had a problem til' now. I probably have enough of those yellow stickers to wallpaper my entire house! I have ordered some diffent string sets, It'll be interesting to see if there is any differance from the Dean Markleys. I'll post my results as I go through the sets.

Hey tell your Yank's to take it easy on the White Sox tonight we're still trying to get in to post season!