Chat about Equipment Info
 #117306  by cincinnatiohio

first post! woohoo!!

anyway- this site is outrageously informative, so thanks to anyone and everyone who has ever contributed info here.

here's my question:

i'm in the market for a custom build and i have spoken with a few builders and think i have it narrowed down, but i am interested in what drove others to the builder of their choice. here are a few of the folks who i have been researching the past few weeks...

Alembic?
Scott Walker?
Lieber?
Moriarty?
Resurrection?
Phiga?
others?

how did people out there decide which builder was right for them?

thanks!
 #117312  by TI4-1009

Welcome!

I was looking for value (most quality at the "best" price). If I had unlimited funds I most likely would have gone for a Moriarty. Alembic and Tom Lieber have the bona fides, but out of my price range- and Alembic is not exactly what I was looking for. They have their own ideas about electronics. My Phiga got me WAY closer than I ever thought I would get at a price I could afford. Plus he will build it pretty much however you want it, and I was able to do the electronics myself, both of which affected the price. I wanted something very close to the construction and visuals of Tiger, and my Phiga does that for me. Scott Walker does beautiful work- but I haven't seen a Tiger of his.

Good luck!
 #117315  by playingdead

Knowing your budget would help to make a more informed recommendation.

Money aside, for a replica guitar, having had at least hands-on experiences with Phiga, Resurrection, Alembic and Moriarty, I would commission a Moriarity. No one builds a finer replica guitar. Alembics are beautiful instruments, but their wiring is a completely different ballgame.

For a true custom build, I would not hesitate to recommend Scott Walker. Scott does not make any replica guitars, he does his own thing, but each guitar is a work of art that can be infused with the electronics and wiring a la Mr. Garcia, but with amazing woods and an eagerness to take on any wiring challenge you might be able to dream up. Plus, Scott is an absolute pleasure to work with. The nice thing about a Walker guitar is it doesn't immediately say "Garcia" when you play it, which is nice if you don't happen to be fronting a Grateful Dead tribute band or you want to use the guitar for other gigs.

Bottom line ... replica, Moriarty, original instrument to your specs, Walker.

If you happen to be a lefty, PM me, I have some no-waiting-required options for you from several of the above.
 #117318  by cincinnatiohio

ok- so here is a little more detail...

i have been speaking extensively with scott walker about building a true custom. even so far as to say i have talked with him about even sending him the neck from one of my strats for measurement. i would say currently, he is in first position.

lieber sent me some info on a guitar he just finished and it is beautiful. wolf body style, but not a wolf replica. it is friggin awesome looking though. walnut and purple heart. cost for lieber is definitely less than scott walker.

i got a quote and everything from alembic... they are a little over budget and to be honest- they seem a bit elitist and their electronics kinda scare the shit out of me because i can't try them first. plus, they are like twice others costs or more...

i spoke with moriarty for two seconds one day (admittedly a short call) and i think he said he does compound radius fretboard only because that is what he thinks is best (i am thinking consistent 12 inch radius like an sg). i am not sure if i remember that correct or maybe i misunderstood... dunno

that being said- my goal is to stay as far under 10k as possible- would prefer even to stay closer to $6500. the original goal was to go true custom. i do not want a garcia recreation guitar. not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not what i'm lookin for. even if i got a wolf, i would probably at least choose different woods and no inlay, just because i personally just don't want a clone, i just love the wolf body style. i want something that is really just for me. but i am interested in the garcia type electronics and such and am a total dead nerd which led me to all these places in my search.

until now, i didn't even really know this site existed.... ha! phenomenal!!!

i appreciate the feedback- thanks all
 #117322  by playingdead

Walker all the way then ... you can see a spalted maple Special and a swamp ash Santa Cruz on my site linked below. His Atrezzo has some Wolf overtones to it, I would like one of those someday. His guitars are beautifully balanced and a joy to play and he's great to work with. He's in your price range, too.

I'm sure Matt would make you a heck of a nice custom Wolf guitar, too.'

Please keep us posted on your build.
Last edited by playingdead on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #117324  by TI4-1009

playingdead wrote:Walker all the way then ...
+1
 #117346  by NSP

cincinnatiohio wrote:ok- so here is a little more detail...
that being said- my goal is to stay as far under 10k as possible- would prefer even to stay closer to $6500. the original goal was to go true custom. i do not want a garcia recreation guitar. not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just not what i'm lookin for. even if i got a wolf, i would probably at least choose different woods and no inlay, just because i personally just don't want a clone, i just love the wolf body style. i want something that is really just for me. but i am interested in the garcia type electronics and such and am a total dead nerd which led me to all these places in my search.
i appreciate the feedback- thanks all
That's exactly what I'm doing, incognito Wolf. I'm currently working with Andrew Olson. I like things simple with less ornamentation so I'm having it built to Wolf specs physically with late Wolf electronics; but no Wolf, Irwin headstock, or intricate fretboard inlays. I'm going with simple and elegant brass ring fretboard markers and ao's bolt logo on the headstock. The focus is going to be this stunning piece of quilted maple and I feel strongly that ao's logo belongs on the guitar to credit his craftsmanship.

Peace,

-Tim
 #117359  by milobender

Hello cincinnatiohio, I'd love to have a shot at building you something completely unique... and I can certainly stay somewhere in the 3K range, depending on how expensive the materials you choose might be.... custom and tailored is what I love.

Brian
 #117378  by cincinnatiohio

milobender wrote:Hello cincinnatiohio, I'd love to have a shot at building you something completely unique... and I can certainly stay somewhere in the 3K range, depending on how expensive the materials you choose might be.... custom and tailored is what I love.

Brian
What'd ya have in mind? Have some examples of your work, website?
 #117379  by cincinnatiohio

Alembic Is almost just a no because I have no reference for their weirdass electronics. Not sayin it isn't awesome, but if I can't try something that different first, I'm not willing to risk it.
 #117385  by Jimaroe

Howdy there Cincy!
I doubt you would go wrong with anybody on here. I was in your boat a year or so ago so I devoured every thread that pertained to the many fine builders. Everybody that I spoke with was super cool and I will look to do business with them all in the future. I went with Moriarty based on some conversations with him, the fact that I wanted a vintage Wolf and quite frankly, his rep on here. But, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a guitar from Scott Walker, his craft is out of this world, too. Personally, I was proud to do business with one of the luthiers on here, and glad you are considering it, too.
 #117394  by Marleyboy

You should really check out scarlet fire guitars.i have bought many custom guitars and I know good work when I see it.hes got 4 wolfs almost ready to go.actually 3 cause I bought 1.hes really good and his tributes are SPOT ON.they will double in price in the next couple years.check him out.
 #117400  by milobender

cincinnatiohio wrote:
milobender wrote:Hello cincinnatiohio, I'd love to have a shot at building you something completely unique... and I can certainly stay somewhere in the 3K range, depending on how expensive the materials you choose might be.... custom and tailored is what I love.

Brian
What'd ya have in mind? Have some examples of your work, website?
Sure, the website is http://www.9mileskid.com

I don't have particular design in mind yet, I'd prefer to talk to you to get a feel for what you are looking for first...

The JerryCaster has an onboard Tube Screamer clone, modified to my taste
I'm afraid I haven't gotten around to photographing the quilt with the cover plate finished...

PM me if you'd like to talk on the phone; I'd be happy to work on some drawings after knowing what direction you'd like to go :smile:
I've got some really lovely, well aged, and stable materials on hand.
Last edited by milobender on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.