Chat about Equipment Info
 #117164  by Mr.Burns

I'm guessing a lack of said forum sadly indicates a similar lack of interest. That, and the fact that it would be immediately overrun by guitar and bass players debating Pig/Keith/Brent/Vince/Bruce.
 #117187  by Cmnaround

I went trough that fascination stage with a Hammond M3 and converted a Leslie 125. About 500 bucks into it, and 300lbs of gear, I ended up selling it to pay for a pair of tone tubby speakers. They are cool for your living room but you may be better off just buying a Nord II - around 15lbs and sounds almost as good as the real thing - which requires a B3, C3 or A100, a Leslie 122 or maybe 145 - and a truck and a crew. My friend has an A100 and a 122 but it never leaves the house - while the Nord gets around pretty good. Anyway good luck cause they are really cool - even if they are heavy.
 #117198  by Yankee Tim

Rusty the Scoob wrote:There already is a section here for keyboards, it's just a little buried and very underused. Your contributions along with Mttourpro could help get it off the ground though!

forum/viewforum.php?f=321
Well, there it is! I never looked that far down the list of forums. My mom always told me to stay away from that part of town, as it was filled with wooks, tweekers and dankster gangsters.

Mom was wrong.
 #117262  by Counterstriker

to anyone that needs work on a b-3 or is looking for one from the philly area go check out Retro Linear in north wales, my organ player in my band works there for Tim, He's a great guy and can fix about anything that's electric for a great price. He did my jerry mods to my super 60.

I heard that new leslie you posted and it sounds awesome, but when you can buy 2-3 real leslie 122 or that price if you look in the right place! Even if you suck at keyboard the leslie just looks awesome on stage. When we gig the leslie always intrigues people.

But back on subject, this is all just me playing around on my band mates b-3. For one to get the brent tone has lots of drive.. So blast the leslie and blast the volume on the b-3.

Drawbar settings should be something like 678488884, sometimes 8 on the first drawbar and sometimes 8 on the last one, Brent was always tweaking his drawbars.

Melvins settings in JGB was easy 888888888 almost 90% of the time, songs like Dear Prudence he did switch around though. I think he did this because it filled a lot more space since there was no ryth guitar
 #117302  by Yankee Tim

Phil Lesh101 wrote:What would the Pig/Keith/Brent/Hornsby/Welnick forum have in it?
For the Hammond stuff, drawbar settings. For electronics, settings and such. Discussion of playing styles (palming, etc). Maybe even mods to equipment, like tube amps in the Hammonds and such. Kinda like the other forums, but for keys.
 #117369  by Yankee Tim

Until the Boardmaster make a forum for the keboardists, I changed the title of this thread to what it is now. :cool:

So some thoughts. Anyone modded the console Hammonds to have a lines out? That's tall on the list of things to do to my L143. I'd like to run a line from the power amp out and one pre (to a separate powered amp or a board).

How about tube replacements? Any swapping done to non-OEM tubes, like the 12AX7's to another in that family? How about mods to the amps or such. I do have this linky I found. http://www.dairiki.org/HammondWiki/HammondModifications

Right now, I'm cleaning mine. Need to tear it down, then do a fold back mod to make it more B3'ish. This appears to be a big thing to do. Links are here to tear down http://comics.limo.net/FOLDBACKDOCS/L100_CHASSIS.DOC and for the foldback mod http://comics.limo.net/FOLDBACKDOCS/L100_FOLDBACK.DOC

I'm also cleaning and polishing the furniture as it needs it. I'm replacing the back masonite panel as well. I picked up a piece of birch luan board with a grain very similar to the console. My bro-in-law is cutting it to fit, but replacing the 3 pill-shaped vent holes at the top with 13pt bolts. Installing LED lites inside the console to light up the bolts, red on one side, blue on the other. And of course, a big metal SYF smack dab in the center as a tribute to the Brentster. Will post pics when done. Might consider a full chop. I was thinking, can I lose the main amp and reverb all together and run to a keyboard amp? I could use a Leslie simulator and reverb pedals very easily that way, and lose the weight of the console, amp and speakers.

Comments and critique sought. As I look at it, a B3 and Leslie would be awesome...for about 5 grand. But a free Lseries Spinet chopped, with some tinkering, and a Roland keyboard amp, a rotosphere or a Korg G4, and a nice reverb pedal seems like a low buck, small stage friendly alternative. I mean, Emerson used a L100 so it can't be that bad.

Discuss...