#117060  by paulinnc

Hey there,

I know there is about a million and one places to buy electronics parts for guitars and I was wondering what are good brands for pots, switches and resistors etc. I have looked at the wiring diagram for the wolf and was wondering if anyone has an electronics "parts list" that is a little bit easier to read other than a diagram. If no one has one, no biggie, I just thought I would ask before trying to put one together. Thanks.
 #117061  by paulinnc

Here is what I have so far. If I am missing anything please let me know.

Wolf guitar parts list
(electronics)
Pots
(1) 25K Audio CTS
(1) 500k Linear # RV4NAYSD504A
(1) Dual Ganged 500k/250k Linear type J #2RV7NYSD504254A
Jacks
(1) Swithcraft 12B
(1) Switchcraft 14B
Switches
(3) DPDT On/On switches
(1) 5 way pick up selector switch – strat style
Resistors
(2) 1 M resistors
(2) .02 uf orange drop resistors
(1) .22 uf Orange drop resistor

Pick ups
(2) Di Marzio Super 2 humbuckers
(1) Di Marzio SDS 1 pick up – neck

Alembic stratoblaster
Wire.

Does anyone have a recommendation for the five way pick up selector as far as brand?
 #117069  by Mr.Burns

The ONLY switch you should buy is CRL. Made in America.

Also consider replacing the CTS pot with another 25k mil-spec pot. Unless you're building a replica.
 #117088  by mgbills

I buy the Shaller Mega Switches. Very robust. Like a mil-spec 5 pos switch.

Ordinarily I seek domestically produced parts as much as possible. It a great ethos. I really wish that AB still made some of this stuff. In the packaging lines I've built, we've always used AB stuff from PLC's to photo eyes. Their pots are bomb-proof.

The Shaller does just what it's supposed to. No noise. Nice action. You do have go after them with a continuity tester, as they are not wired the same as a standard Fender switch.
 #117091  by TI4-1009

mgbills- source for the Schaller switch? Thanks.
 #117098  by mgbills

StewMac - S-Type. I assume the S is for Strat.
 #117099  by Mr.Burns

+1 on Schaller, but I've never tried the Mega Switch.

I've always loved Schaller hardware, both of my guitars I played "on the job" have Schaller bridges. I picked Schaller on their obvious merits alone, well before I ever knew Irwin and Garcia thought highly of their stuff.

I figured if CRL was Leo Fender's choice, then what more could you ask. But leave it to Schaller to improve something thats already great.
 #118475  by paulinnc

Here is what I have so far, some of the resistors/caps are kind of hard to find. I will post a link to the list so I can get some feedback as to anything I should have or stuff I should change. Thanks in advance for all the help and knowledge.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cart.cgis

I am also taking a look on small bear to see what they have.
 #118476  by paulinnc

softmachine72 wrote:I have all those pots in stock at Scarlet Fire Guitars. I have been real happy w/ the Zoso caps.
Leo
I was looking at those caps and don't know which ones to go with.
 #118509  by paulinnc

Do you guys go to different sources for different parts or do you get them all from one place. After checking around and really looking through small bear, I will definitely order most of my stuff through them, way cheaper.
 #118532  by TI4-1009

paulinnc wrote:
softmachine72 wrote:I have all those pots in stock at Scarlet Fire Guitars. I have been real happy w/ the Zoso caps.
Leo
Interesting question. I've put botique caps in other guitars for "better" tone, but in my Tiger I went with the plain old brick red ceramic caps. It was a question of "improved" tone vs. "closest to what Irwin/Brawer put in Jer's guitars. It's like "horses for courses"- what are you looking for in that particular situation.
 #118537  by paulinnc

TI4-1009 wrote:
paulinnc wrote:
Leo
Interesting question. I've put botique caps in other guitars for "better" tone, but in my Tiger I went with the plain old brick red ceramic caps. It was a question of "improved" tone vs. "closest to what Irwin/Brawer put in Jer's guitars. It's like "horses for courses"- what are you looking for in that particular situation.
I am going to try and stay as accurate to the original as possible.
 #118541  by paulinnc

Just ordered some stuff from small bear and anything I couldn't find there I found Guitar Parts Resource. I am glad I looked around at a lot of different sites before ordering ANYTHING. So in my findings I learned that I will have to get some parts from different sources, which is a little inconvenient but no biggie. In looking around at tone caps I found this video to get an idea of the differences in sound.

http://youtu.be/92G-jw4TqS4

Please forgive all the rambling posts etc. I am really trying my best to learn as I go and figure this stuff out for myself, I really appreciate all of the knowledge and input from everyone here, thank you.
 #119039  by softmachine72

it looks like Jerry used ceramic caps but, they are either 1or 2% mil spec.I have been using the 1977 wesco bumble bee in all my builds. I just test them and make sure the values are on. Also the resistors in the tiger and wolf are 1meg pull down rersistors ,they stop popping when you switch the obel and the 5-way. hence they do not effect tone. any 2 cent resistor will do.