rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

Chat about Equipment Info
 #116906  by Marleyboy
 Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:25 pm
I am close to ordering a wolf from rusch guitars with all the Jerry wiring,only now I'm wondering if phiga is better.any one have experience with them?they are pretty much the same price.actually the phiga bolts are dirt cheap without the obel.
 #116918  by ccw3432
 Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 pm
I haven't played either but have done some research on both. I'd be more inclined to go with Rusch if it were me because he is very open and encourages customization. You can probably get some amount of customization with either. Rusch gets great reviews I am considering going with him for a Jerry type guitar, but with a custom set up how I would like it. A guitar like this is a big investment and the process of working with a luthier that is willing to spend time with you and get it right and to your preferences makes sense to me. I don't know if Phiga does this or not, but have had some email correspondenses with Rusch and got a good feel. Good luck with your guitar. I think you'll get something amazing either way.
 #116920  by guitarcats
 Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:35 am
I havent heard any reviews on Rusch guitars but they sure look good. I have a Phiga Wolf and can tell you it is a damn fine guitar well worth the money. Phil is sometimes slow to get in touch but will get back to you in a few days and is open to whatever custom ideas you have.
 #116943  by Marleyboy
 Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:46 am
Ya I think rusch is a bit better .although phiga is a bit more experienced as he does a bunch.i think rusch will pay more attention to detail.i would go with AO guitars if money wasn't an option.i gig heavily and this is a temp guitar really .i play abyss guitars but all hollow body's with Duncan 59s.my 4th abyss is gonna be his first cripe copy ever and will be among the best I need the wolf wile I'm waiting for it.its in the beginning stages.kevin pederson at abyss guitars is an insane builder but it takes a year year and a half to finish and 10-20 k for most of his extreme customs.if you want the best guitar go to abyssguitars.com.
 #117053  by Mosfed
 Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:35 pm
I love Phil's work. I have a recent Wolf from him and it is absolutely top class. Just a beautiful guitar and he was open to quite a bit of customization from me. The workmanship, neck, heal, wood choice and general performance have convinced me to order another guitar from him. Highly recommended
 #117058  by Mr.Burns
 Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:02 pm
Marleyboy wrote:if you want the best guitar go to abyssguitars.com.
http://abyssguitars.com/

Those are nice guitars, but his inlays are a tad busy. For crying out loud, he's doing The Last Supper as an inlay. I want to know who is going to cough up the dough for that "work of art". Seems like there's a relatively narrow market for guitars inlaid with recreations of Renaissance paintings.
 #117066  by Marleyboy
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:15 am
Mr.Burns wrote:
Marleyboy wrote:if you want the best guitar go to abyssguitars.com.
http://abyssguitars.com/

Those are nice guitars, but his inlays are a tad busy. For crying out loud, he's doing The Last Supper as an inlay. I want to know who is going to cough up the dough for that "work of art". Seems like there's a relatively narrow market for guitars inlaid with recreations of Renaissance paintings.
Ya I think those are the guitars he takes to the guitar shows.not sure they really sell.
 #117067  by Marleyboy
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:20 am
The guy at scarletfireguitars has some wolfs ready to go for a bit cheaper and more accurate.rusch looks like he uses better grade woods.like really quilted mapl,as quilted as they come.not sure if I should just snatch up one of these scarlet fire ones.anyone know anything about those?
 #117075  by guitarcats
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:09 am
Marleyboy wrote:The guy at scarletfireguitars has some wolfs ready to go for a bit cheaper and more accurate.rusch looks like he uses better grade woods.like really quilted mapl,as quilted as they come.not sure if I should just snatch up one of these scarlet fire ones.anyone know anything about those?
I haven't seen any reviews on ScarletFire guitars but his work looks great. I have bought some items from Leo and his work is top gun quality.
Last edited by guitarcats on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #117103  by Marleyboy
 Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:46 pm
guitarcats wrote:
Marleyboy wrote:The guy at scarletfireguitars has some wolfs ready to go for a bit cheaper and more accurate.rusch looks like he uses better grade woods.like really quilted mapl,as quilted as they come.not sure if I should just snatch up one of these scarlet fire ones.anyone know anything about those?
I haven't seen any reviews on ScarletFire guitars but his work looks great. I have boughten some items from Leo and his work is top gun quality.
Yup !!just ordered one from him. (~);}
 #117156  by JonnyBoy
 Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:05 pm
MAN!! Been waiting on hearing a non biased review on Scarletfire's guitars. I have always been intrigued with his work, and I think (or would like to think) that is kinda how Jerry got to Irwin. I don't think Irwin was hailed "the best guitar maker" at Alembic, but more that Jerry liked him, his work and inspiration. Leo just has that kind of quality that is unspoken and only felt through seeing his work. He asks a fair price for his work. I have looked at his guitar pictures many times, and notice his eye for detail. I am not saying Matt, Andrew, Phil, Resurection, Thomas, Troy etc don't deliver a fine products either. Its just that prices are totally worth considering when the quality is there. I wish I wasn't going through such a shitty money income point in my life, or I would have one too me thinks.
 #122067  by jenkins
 Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:33 am
Those abyss guitars are insane!!

How bout the 8-string custom that has the story of the book of revelations on it?!
The front is the good, the back is the evil!!
Totally insane guitars.

Guy has to be th sickest inlay artist out there but my question is with so many inlays on the fretboard does that effect the tone of the guitar? It must right?
 #122273  by Mr.Burns
 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 am
I'm not sure since the inlays are so thin. I would definitely prefer small dots to trapezoids or diamonds, forget ornamental designs. I feel like a listener of a recording of a particular instrument can't hear what it looks like, so it's really a case of lures attracting fisherman and not fish.
 #129283  by aiko420
 Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:41 pm
Rusch! He is amazing. The care and detail he puts in is truely outstanding. I have had mine now for a few months and can't put it down. He is starting a true Tiger replica with all the front and back inlays, all the bells and whistles. The neck on my "Terrapin" is the best neck I have ever played. I cannot play my guitar as is should be played, but I do sound better just strumming this one, haha. The woods are excellent quality. I did have a Post, and it doesn't compare. His inlays are suberb too. Here is a link to his new site: http://www.ruschcustomguitars.com/tigerbolt.html

My Terrapin is the last 4 images. The site still has a few changes to come (I designed it for him).
 #129286  by tcsned
 Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:04 pm
JonnyBoy wrote:MAN!! Been waiting on hearing a non biased review on Scarletfire's guitars. I have always been intrigued with his work, and I think (or would like to think) that is kinda how Jerry got to Irwin. I don't think Irwin was hailed "the best guitar maker" at Alembic, but more that Jerry liked him, his work and inspiration. Leo just has that kind of quality that is unspoken and only felt through seeing his work. He asks a fair price for his work. I have looked at his guitar pictures many times, and notice his eye for detail. I am not saying Matt, Andrew, Phil, Resurection, Thomas, Troy etc don't deliver a fine products either. Its just that prices are totally worth considering when the quality is there. I wish I wasn't going through such a shitty money income point in my life, or I would have one too me thinks.
In 5 months or so I'll give you a review :) Leo has been great to work with and his price point is right on.