#115886  by Yankee Tim

Woot! At least remote works. I can't upload either. I got same "exceeded" message. But that is prolly the sexiest headstock that my eyes and hands ever laid eyes on.

I was looking to buy one of these [ebayitem]350463809954[/ebayitem] as it would be a cheap ax that sorta looked like a Doc. My web researching lead me to Phantasy Tour, where I first learned of the Phred. Let me say this, PT has its share of dickweeds. Many were very UNKIND about this, calling Fred (Phred) every name in the book. Some were calling the Doc copy Fred had made a cardboard POS (even though no one owned one yet) while others were hoping anyone who bought one gets ripped off and that Phred should be sued by Paul Languedoc. Funny, I didn't see anyone saying the same thing about all the strat clones.

My continued reading lead me to contact Fred directly. Let me say this first. Fred is a genuine head, and loves this music. He was very supportive in the emails, explained why he was having these built (like most here, we'll never have the spare cash to own a Irwin or a Doc, or even the hi-end clones, or our playing level is not such that would warrant the purchase). He answered my questions as best as he could. When I asked if he would consider a Tiger copy, he sent pics of the Liger being built at the very time. WOOT-WOOT! I was sold and got in line. I may have even been the first one to have the Liger shipped out to me when they arrived. To that end, it had become my fav and has eclipsed my old Iby Artist, its that nice.

He let me know back then, that a Wolf (now Wolph) and maybe even a Cowboy Fancy (Phancy?) were possible down the stretch. Since then, he sold out of the first round of Langueknocks and I never got one. Based on my satisfaction with the Liger, I paid in full for the pre-order of the 2nd round of Knocks (which look a lot more like Trey's first Doc).

I just got the email a couple days ago saying he has a FB page now http://www.facebook.com/phredinstruments with pics of the build process, as well as saying that the Wolph is being build now. I'm hoping it will be ready for Xmas. As long as the price is good, and the quality is like it is, I'm game for every new model he comes up with. Maybe even convince him to make a 6string bass with a black cherry burl top, EMG DC clones and black hardware (sans graphite neck)?

I do see it as this. Either one of three things can happen:

1) He is successful at being a boutique guitar maker, and in which case these were the first and would be worth the most.
2) He gets a cease and desist, in which case these become the new "lawsuit Ibanezes" and would increase in value over time.
3) Zombie Apocalypse, in which case I'll be lucky to trade these for a box of .22 LR cartridges.

Hey, don't say it can't happen. I have 2 words to challange that... Bath Salts.

In any case, I'm happy. In fact, Fred found that many of the Ligers has small imperfections in the finish. Even though he send me one that was almost perfect, he emailed me about a week after I got it to say he was lowering the price because of the QC issues, and that he would be refunding me the difference from what I paid ($599) to the new price. I mean, what other guitar maker would do that? Although he is on the wrong coast, I hope to meet up with him someday and burn one down, then maybe jam a little. Very kind guy IMHO.

If I get any sneak peeks of the Wolph, and if Fred doesn't beat me to it, I'll post up pix.

Peace,
 #115888  by Yankee Tim

While I'm at it, in no particular order, guitars I hope some day come in inspired designed from Phred:

Cowboy Phancy

Phraudulus-G1

Phraudulus-G3

Phraudulus-Q6

Phantasy

Is it wrong to wish? :lol:
 #115926  by TI4-1009

or our playing level is not such that would warrant the purchase
Hey! I resemble that remark! It didn't stop ME! :lol:
 #115934  by tigger

TI4-1009 wrote:
It certainly didn't stop the guy who bought the real Tiger!
 #115937  by tcsned

tigger wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
It certainly didn't stop the guy who bought the real Tiger!
Well played sir!
 #115938  by Yankee Tim

If I had his coin, I would gave bought Tiger and Wolf. Then promptly die from shock.
 #116246  by mrMix

Any more updates from owners? Any input on tone/playability and setup would be cool!
 #116365  by Yankee Tim

Seems like few are Phred owners. I guess I'm the first to take a stab at the pre amp /OBEL install?
 #116402  by mrMix

I received my Liger today - Yankee shoot me a PM!
 #116412  by barefootdave

Very interested in hearing detailed reviews from either/both of you.

Tim, did you say the Liger has eclipsed your Ibanez Artist? That's a pretty strong statement. Can you be more specific?

Thanks!
 #116415  by strumminsix

Yankee Tim wrote: 3) Zombie Apocalypse, in which case I'll be lucky to trade these for a box of .22 LR cartridges.
:lol: nice, made me choke on my coffee. Thanks for the morning laugh!!
 #116424  by mrMix

barefootdave wrote:Very interested in hearing detailed reviews from either/both of you.

Tim, did you say the Liger has eclipsed your Ibanez Artist? That's a pretty strong statement. Can you be more specific?

Thanks!
I'll give some feedback after playing for about an hour last night:

Communications: A
Fred was very responsive to email and communications

Setup: B+
I requested specific string gauge and setup - handled as expected. Frets require some fret dressing but overall decent quality compared to some PRS SE guitars I've had in the past at a higher price.

Electronics: C
The stock pickups are kind of flat compared to my MC150 with Super IIs. These will have to be swapped along with the volume/tone pots. All mini toggles work well as does 5-way. Bunch of tones to be found splitting the middle and blending either Neck or Bridge and adjusting tone. Will have to get more playing time in. Also will put in a buffer.

Fit & Finish: A
Fred is very upfront with any issues and to be quite honest she's a pretty nice looking axe! The fret board is quite nice with the custom inlays, the neck feels great and the guitar is balanced. Did I mention that the nobs have a very nice gold/inlay appearance?

Tone: A+
Well first it's all in the fingers and touch - if you have some of the common licks down and you pick her up your eyebrows will be raised. Even with (my need to change) the stock pickups the tone is there!. I've been looking for that certain "timber" and always had a hunch it had to do with the neck/scale legnth and ebony fretboard along with split middle. Well for $479 It's there :-)

Overall Rating: A-
I'm not a pro player by any means and get together with my jam buddies about once every 3 weeks to run through our standard set with tunes cross everything from everything 69-89. I've been searching for the sound but unwilling to get into the 3K territory for an axe. Closest I've gotten there to date was putting a set of lollars Blackface in a swamp ash body strat with a 57 neck - but still was missing that "timber" quality. Well I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I'll dress the frets and tweak the electronics package with 3 super IIs and a buffer and swap out the volume and tone pots and she's be an A!
 #116467  by proshy

I emailed him the other day, and he confirmed that there will be a wolf prototype in 1-2 months :-) !! I'm excited to see what he comes up with. Not sure if its gonna have the wolf inlays, but cool nonetheless. Also, he told me that there is going to be a new run of his current line here pretty soon.
 #116729  by mrMix

After almost a solid week I can say I'm very pleased with my purchase 8)