#115774  by al.hurst

Hey everyone, I just got some graduation money
SOOO..

I'm in the process of building a jerry strat.Her name is stella blue... Its a blue strat wired like tiger, I'm doing the obel and I just bought a buffer from waldo. Its going to have a sds-1 and two super 2's... Are there any other options i can use in my bridge position? Cheaper options?? Its going to have a brass nut and brass tremolo with a brass block and I'm eventually going to put brass saddles on it. Brass is good right? :cool: :D

For the effects I'm building an effects true bypass strip... http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html
Its going to have a Guitar Input, Tuner Out, 7 or 8 Effects I/O's with LED indicators, Output back into Guitar

My effects I'm using now are a wah-wah (Not sure if I should run this in the OBEL or Between the guitar and the amp?), mini Q-tron, Bad Monkey Overdrive (Soon to be replaced with a Tube Screamer.) boss overdrive pedal and a Danelectro flange pedal. I'm buying a DD-3 delay pedal and a OC-3 octave pedal also. I'm going to be running all of them besides maybe the wah-wah? in the true bypass strip. This is all good so far right?

For my amp I have a Fender Blues Deluxe tube amp I'm going to be using with JBL's. Which JBL's should I use the K-120 or the E120s?

So far thats all I've got and I will post pictures as my guitar build progress and post a separate thread about the true bypass strip.. Thanks.
 #116341  by al.hurst

Okay so I have been thinking and reading about Jerry guitars and collecting parts and I have some questions....

I have a good deal on some .064 inch thick brass sheet, 6"x6". This is enough to make the dual jack plate and the electronics half of the pickguard. My question is how hard is it to cut the brass with a Dremel? Any tips on cutting and shaping brass? There would also be enough left over to make a neck plate out of brass to match the rest of the guitar.

My other questions are electronics related..

This may be a silly question but with the 500k/250k tone knob do you just put a knob on it and it controls both the pickups tone or is there a special knob to make it where I can control each tone seperatly? I'm kind of stumped on this part.

and

I am thinking about adding the effects loop blend knob to my guitar. It is on the scott walker wiring website. Im pretty sure that I can use the tiger wiring and the blend schem on that site in conjunction with each otherand thats it right? sorry to be so vague on this point.

Any comments of input is GRATELY APPRECIATED!
Thanks all!
 #116345  by Mr.Burns

Measure the thickness of your pickguard. A 3-ply guard is a little thicker than that, mine measures .100".
At first I thought it wouldn't matter much if it wasn't exactly the same dimension as my brass plate.
But milobender made a laminated plate for me with black walnut veneer between two much thinner pieces of brass.
It looks AMAZING. matches the lamination of the pickguard, white to brass, black to black, hand beveled edge.
I'll finish the guitar soon and post some pics to illustrate.
 #116346  by al.hurst

Measure the thickness of your pickguard. A 3-ply guard is a little thicker than that, mine measures .100".
ahh, Okay, I will see if they have a thicker piece. A thicker plate also makes me question using a dremel even more...
 #116349  by cmc64

al.hurst wrote: I am thinking about adding the effects loop blend knob to my guitar. It is on the scott walker wiring website. Im pretty sure that I can use the tiger wiring and the blend schem on that site in conjunction with each otherand thats it right? sorry to be so vague on this point.

Thanks all!
I have two Strats I am going to be modifying - one will be a single coil Wolf(ish) workup and the other somewhere between a Wolf 2.1 and Tiger. I have been talking with Scott Walker (really helpful dude he is) and he has some great ideas for pickups in the single coil realm for one of my projects. But his Unity Gain Buffer with the variable +6dB gain knob (which is what I think you are referring to) is a great idea - kinda like combining an Alembic Blaster and Cutler's UGB into one. I really dig it and while I may use it in my single coil guitar (or the Alembic, have not decided yet), it is most certainly gong into my Wolf/Tiger guitar with the OBEL and assorted goodies. It will work perfectly in your Tiger wiring scheme - I say go for it. You get all of the advantages of the UGB but if you need a bit of clean boost it's right there at your fingertips.

Project sounds like a blaster(er) - have fun and keep us updated (and pics please!!) :smile:
 #116366  by al.hurst

Well I was actully talking about a blend knob that blends the effects signal with the clean signal. I have been reading up on it and may just forget about this option all together. Thank tho~ If i didnt already have waldos buffer that woulda been cool!
 #116379  by hawk900

Hey al.....
forget the whole blend concept. Tone knobs take care of that. If you need to save some coin just leave the bridge pup factory. You'll get your cleanest Jer leads pickin at the the middle dp104 just like he did. the sd neck pup can be clicked on with a good octave divider and ds-1 or mxr distortion lead.
 #116612  by al.hurst

Im going to put the super 11 in the middle and another four wire humbucker in the bridge (Suggestions?) and I have a decent bluesy sounding strat pickup going in the neck (I forgot which ones, i think they were from GFS tho.)

I found some info on the wah thing, Im going to run it inline of the guitar and amp instead of in the OBEL.
 #116622  by WildEye

Just curious? How do the tone pots take care of the OBEL blend? Apples and oranges? or am I misunderstanding? I only nitpick because I'm still on the fence about adding one to my guitar and in my research have found conflicting info (who doesn't right?). Got a great wiring diagram from scott walker that I'll use once I pull the trigger - but have also heard that you might would need two buffers? Is that right? If you have one right after the pups both signals would already be the right impedance? (I've already exceeded my pay grade by making this assumption talking about shit I don't truly understand) but does anyone out there have an OBEL blend pot on their guitar with just one buffer want to chime in?

I've never played a guitar with a blend pot like that - but it seems like it would have great potential.
 #116659  by al.hurst

WildEye wrote:Just curious? How do the tone pots take care of the OBEL blend? Apples and oranges? or am I misunderstanding? I only nitpick because I'm still on the fence about adding one to my guitar and in my research have found conflicting info (who doesn't right?). Got a great wiring diagram from scott walker that I'll use once I pull the trigger - but have also heard that you might would need two buffers? Is that right? If you have one right after the pups both signals would already be the right impedance? (I've already exceeded my pay grade by making this assumption talking about shit I don't truly understand) but does anyone out there have an OBEL blend pot on their guitar with just one buffer want to chime in?

I've never played a guitar with a blend pot like that - but it seems like it would have great potential.
Yeah I dont think the tone pot will take care of that either, I cant find a solid answer on this so I think I am just going to leave it out... Info would be awsome for another project I have in mind tho... :cool: 8)
 #116660  by al.hurst

al.hurst wrote:
This may be a silly question but with the 500k/250k tone knob do you just put a knob on it and it controls both the pickups tone or is there a special knob to make it where I can control each tone seperatly? I'm kind of stumped on this part.

Thanks all!
Also does anyone have any input on this question? It kind of got buried in the posts..
 #116668  by WildEye

My understanding is a humbucker uses a 500k pot and a single coil uses a 250k pot - so if you have one tone pot sharing (neck and bridge) you can use a 250/500k pot. It's just one knob.
 #116682  by Mr.Burns

A "tone knob" is just a potentiometer until its wired to bleed treble to ground. A stacked pot could serve any number of configurations, especially in a HHS setup with coil splitting. All the info you need to make an informed decision is here, somewhere. And check out Waldo's site, too.

http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html this is very cool but it seems like a quality wah or stompbox would be easily true-bypassed, thereby creating a shorter signal path? Not that it would make much tonal difference, but isn't that the point of TB in the first place? If the box is the problem, you could always put the pedal in a different one. Sounds like that TB strip would be fun to build, though. :cool:
 #116704  by al.hurst

Mr.Burns wrote: http://www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html this is very cool but it seems like a quality wah or stompbox would be easily true-bypassed, thereby creating a shorter signal path? Not that it would make much tonal difference, but isn't that the point of TB in the first place? If the box is the problem, you could always put the pedal in a different one. Sounds like that TB strip would be fun to build, though. :cool:
Yeah, And it seems fairly easy to wire up as well.

But I already bought a 250/500k pot, its CTS brand. but the post going up that you put the "knob" on has one short, fatter one and a longer one come up thru that. They both twist sepratly. Im not sure if I bought the wrong one... Sorry for the bad descrition. I will try to post a picture asap.
 #116705  by al.hurst

Also. fyi. Im using the tiger wiring on waldos site and using that exact wiring just so ya'll know.