#116230  by spacefunkologist

Hey guys, Ive been searching around for threads about cables and couldnt come up with anything. Im putting together my first rack rig and I need to know if I can use a George Ls pedal kit for my wiring needs. I know you cant use guitar cables for amp to speaker connections but I wasnt sure if I need more cables or I can just use what Ive got for the rack????
 #116234  by tcsned

As long as you don't use an instrument cable for a speaker you'll be fine.
 #116237  by JonnyBoy

If you are using a buffer, you can go with cheaper cables and still beat the capacitance issue that high dollar cable fights... I bought some belden cable from Ebay and bought some neutrik connectors and they have worked perfectly for years now. The new Stagg cables are using neutrik connectors and low capacitance cable to compete with the pricy name brands. I bought one out of need and have come to really like it.
 #116239  by Jerry1996x

Im not sure how much George L's kit is, but ive been making all my cables with Belden and Neutrik plugs. The belden is pretty cheap (50 cents a foot) but if your makin a lot of cables the Neutrik stuff adds up in price.
 #116255  by Capt Rosebuddy

NEVER USE CHEEP CABLE!!!!
the solders suck, and so do the jacks and cable for that matter. If your gonna have nice gear have nice cable too!
ps I always thought the expensive cable argument was snake oil myself but I'm a believer now.

I watched this about a year ago, and I've been making my own since:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE9P67_E ... ata_player

it's super easy, and you can make what ever lengths you need. For my non Garcia rig I have all swithchcraft jacks and canare cable. It sounds epic.
I've tried those George L kit's in the past, and two things, they are super expensive, and the solderless connection sometimes fails (I've had it happen twice).
 #116265  by Tony6Strings

Here's where I get my materials...

http://www.redco.com/

I buy the Mogami cable and Neutrik plugs. Built all of the leads and jumpers I needed and then some, and it cost about the same amount it would if I had bought one lead of the same quality from a store. Really no other way to go.
 #116274  by JonnyBoy

Who woulda' thought you could buy stag cables for $12 with neutrik connectors and low capacitance cable? They are really good cables for the price, unless you go super Canaire, Moagami, Belden and build you're own. But with a buffer you're signal will drive through higher capacitance cable just fine anyway. I can't tell a difference in good cable or cheap cable with a buffer. I can very much hear the difference using a guitar without a buffer though.
 #116280  by zambiland

Tony6Strings wrote:Here's where I get my materials...

http://www.redco.com/

I buy the Mogami cable and Neutrik plugs. Built all of the leads and jumpers I needed and then some, and it cost about the same amount it would if I had bought one lead of the same quality from a store. Really no other way to go.
This man speaks the truth. Redco is the bomb. I've got yet another order coming this week (new tube mic cable for my Beesneez James.).
 #116290  by tcsned

Maybe I've just got pig ears, but I've never noticed a difference between a reasonable Belden cable with a switchcraft end and one of those audiophile cables that cost 5x as much. It might be psychosomatic because I believe I'll hear no difference so I hear no difference. I don't use shitty, molded plastic, flimsy guitar cables nor do I use the super pricey ones.

Speaker cable doesn't really matter for sure other that gauge and distance. My MC2100 owners manual says for speaker cable that lamp cord is a good cable.
 #116301  by spacefunkologist

Thanks for the info guys. Redco seems like the place to go. What do I buy though for patching up all my rack gear? Instrument cable? Right? Only use speaker cable for going from the power amps outputs to my speaker cab, correct?
 #116316  by JonnyBoy

No matter what you decide to go with, just don't use heavy gauge speaker cable within the guitars circuit. Everything from the guitar to the guitar amp should be instrument cable. Speaker cable is just that, cables for speakers (usually within your PA system). Cables that get connected to the power amp then go to the passive speakers. If you have powered speakers, (speakers with amps inside them) then you can use instrument cables in your entire rig.

Do you guys really hear a difference with good cables v's generic cables WITH a buffer on board the guitar?