#116195  by Gr8fulGreg

So while on my daily ebay adventure i found a gutted les paul for a reasonable price... I understand some here will say "just get a strat" and do it that way and i already have. i just want to try something new .... HERES THE PLAN

1. Route for a middle pick up
2. Drill for OBEL (switches and all)

And here is where i get stuck... Im going to have 4 holes for volume/tone pots... This is where i would think the possibilities are endless but seeing as how I know NOTHING about wiring what do you think would be the best lay out for 4 pots would be? I am thinking 1 master and a tone knob for each pup but i really dont know...

Also pick up selector... Im going to have to go with a 5 way rotary switch and this is where i need some advice and a good point in the right direction... Is stewmac a good place for one and HOW do i wire the thing...

then with the obvious of coil taps

as well as a waldo buffer in there....

so the question(s) is...

1. Is this possible
2. Is this worth it?
3. When i buy a UGB off of waldo would he send me a schematic for this operation as well? (maybe thats a question for him)

Thanks all and i will keep everyone updated
 #116226  by tcsned

Jonnyboy did this mod, except the rotary selector switch. I have one on my PRS and I have to say that it's be of the things about that guitar that I am not super hot on. You can't tell by looking at it what setting it's on and it can lead to being on an unintended setting.
 #116231  by WildEye

Waldo gives a schematic and instructions - and if you're gonna keep the 4 pots for volume and tone and cut a new hole for p/u selector I would go with the standard 5way blade - but most folks switch out a volume/tone for the rotary to keep the gibson look. Good luck and keep us posted (I'm on the fence about modding an SG I have)
 #116238  by JonnyBoy

I wound up putting a 5 way switch in, and disconnected the 3 way les paul switch and one tone and volume. Basically I used the rosebud wiring but used a master tone, and one volume. Turned out great. I used a router with a door hinge flat mortise bit. I just worked it in a little at a time. Good luck, one of my favorite guitars to play and it sounds awesome.
 #116240  by Gr8fulGreg

Did u have any problem routing out for the middle pickup? Im really stoked on it... i had a les paul years ago but let it go but ill keep everyone in the loop im really excited about it.... Im nervous about 5 way selector i dont want to have an open hole up top... thank you guys so much... and thanks for the bump i thought this thread was going to be really short lived lol.... and i havent really seen anything like it here before so its cool to try new things... just another reason why i love this forum just like minded people helping each other.. ok enough being a sap thanks again you guys!
 #116757  by Gr8fulGreg

Hi all... almost done getting all pieces in and most of the schematic is drawn up... but i can NOT find how to wire up this 5 way rotary correctly... If anyone here has a good schematic on how to do it please please please I BEG of you please let me take a peek.... for the first time the internet is just confusing me and making me angry... no clear cut picture of just a schematic with out other mods that i dont want... so please if anyone could lend a brother a hand i would be forever grateful