rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#115596  by al.hurst
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:38 pm
Has anyone tired building the perfboard buffer? Im low on cash and want to try my hand at making the buffer with the perfboard layout on waldos page untill I buy one from him.

Is it as easy it it seems? Are there anything that has to be done that isnt shown on the layout.. Thanks guys!
 #115606  by erock
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 pm
I built my own before he posted the layout, mine was pretty close to what is posted.

Yes it is that easy. You could always buy one from dalek (or what ever his name is)

*ducks* :shock: :lol:
 #115608  by erock
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:08 pm
RiverRat wrote:
erock wrote:You could always buy one from dalek (or what ever his name is)
Oh you!!!!

It's ok (really) I ducked
 #115609  by TI4-1009
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:22 pm
You might even be able to buy Waldo's from dallek :lol:

I didn't say that.
 #115611  by strumminsix
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:42 pm
TI4-1009 wrote:You might even be able to buy Waldo's from dallek :lol:

I didn't say that.
I laughed and then realized how that could put nice closure to that part of the drama.
 #115624  by mgbills
 Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 am
I buy the Waldo 1's. Could build it. Appreciate that he puts it up there. But...it's already a big job to rout, shield, layout, wire, & test a Garcia type guitar. To me...if Waldo makes 4x his costs, I don't care. Hopefully it keeps him interested & keeps his website up.
Peace
M
 #115625  by TI4-1009
 Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:58 am
mgbills wrote:I buy the Waldo 1's. Could build it. Appreciate that he puts it up there. But...it's already a big job to rout, shield, layout, wire, & test a Garcia type guitar. To me...if Waldo makes 4x his costs, I don't care. Hopefully it keeps him interested & keeps his website up.
Peace
M
+1 That's what I did.
 #115648  by milobender
 Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:45 pm
Me too... I've bought over a half dozen of Waldo's UGBs now for myself and others... they are great quality, and I like sharing the work and money with good folks... :smile:
 #115671  by Jon S.
 Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:12 am
Why not simply and cost-effectively kill two birds with one stone and use any buffered pedal on your board (many if not most pedals today are buffered)? I have the Waldo buffer in one of my J-casters and the CAE in another and dig them both but if I didn't, this is what I'd do rather than complicate my rig with yet another pedal. (The only caveat would be if I could hear the difference between a stand-alone buffer pedal and my rig with buffered pedals. I tried this years ago with what was at the time deemed the highest quality stand-alone buffer pedal available, the Axxess BF2. I couldn't and sold the Axxess.)

P.S. Interesting, if long/not new, read - The Goose, the Middleman, the Idolmaker and Gomer Pyle:

http://www.boutiquegeartalk.com/pedals- ... s/1486.htm
 #115681  by TI4-1009
 Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 am
Jon S. wrote: P.S. Interesting, if long/not new, read - The Goose, the Middleman, the Idolmaker and Gomer Pyle:

http://www.boutiquegeartalk.com/pedals- ... s/1486.htm
Just as I always suspected. By the way, have you seen the Emperor's new clothes??
 #115685  by waldo041
 Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 am
Jon S. wrote:Why not simply and cost-effectively kill two birds with one stone and use any buffered pedal on your board (many if not most pedals today are buffered)? I have the Waldo buffer in one of my J-casters and the CAE in another and dig them both but if I didn't, this is what I'd do rather than complicate my rig with yet another pedal. (The only caveat would be if I could hear the difference between a stand-alone buffer pedal and my rig with buffered pedals. I tried this years ago with what was at the time deemed the highest quality stand-alone buffer pedal available, the Axxess BF2. I couldn't and sold the Axxess.)
"First of all, it's important to have a concept of good tone..." Jerry Garcia

yes al, the perfboard is given freely for all to make for themselves if they so choose. you should have no problem doing this build yourself, just pay attention to the needed jumper under pin 2 & 6 of the opamp. also, use an 8 pin dip socket for the opamp, so you don't fry it. you'll do just fine after a couple wacks at it.

Good Luck!

~gomer aka waldo