When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #115584  by tcsned

My Earth Drive arrived yesterday and my MC2100 is now sitting in the garage at home. I hope the kids go to bed easy tonight! Get to gig with them Friday.

I believe my pedal board is now complete!
 #115586  by Tennessee Jedi

Hey Tom-
How about a lil vid of the Mac-> SMS-> E.D * ?
I'm interested in what kind of grit you can get from just the ED ....

* ED is not erectile dysfunction
8)
 #115587  by tcsned

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Hey Tom-
How about a lil vid of the Mac-> SMS-> E.D * ?
I'm interested in what kind of grit you can get from just the ED ....

* ED is not erectile dysfunction
8)
Sure, if I can get it set up tonight I will if not I can probably get something from that combination at my gig Friday.

Though with the Mac at 210w mono cranked, the CTP and the Earth Drive dimed I'm sure ED could result :shock:
 #115588  by Tennessee Jedi

tcsned wrote:
Though with the Mac at 210w mono cranked, the CTP and the Earth Drive dimed I'm sure ED could result :shock:
:lol:
I'm getting tired of my Blues Drivers .....
Just wondering what the E Drive sounds like .... esp w/ the SMS
 #115589  by mgbills

Tennessee Jedi -
I hear my MXR Dist + is on the sweet side of fuzz/dist. Sorry to say I don't own a Blues Driver, so I'm hoping to use words to descibe a very difficult comparison.

Tiger-afied Strat > Mid p/u in single coil > SMS > MC2100 > ED.

Settings: Volume just above the balance point. Drive 12:20. Tone - Cranked. This setting to me sounds like a small Fender amp just at the point of breaking up (power side). With an OBEL this can be at any volume. Enormously consistent in this configuation.

Turn on the other HB coil. Neil Young Tweed Deluxe - Like a Hurricane, not Cortez.

If you cranked the drive pot on the ED you might get to fuzzy. But in my opinion incredibly sweet to just have it riding on that super clean signal, in the "just barely there" range.

I'll have to post a sound clip of what I'm talking about. Probably September. Summer is booked.
Peace
M
 #115590  by Tennessee Jedi

mgbills wrote:Tennessee Jedi -
I hear my MXR Dist + is on the sweet side of fuzz/dist. Sorry to say I don't own a Blues Driver, so I'm hoping to use words to descibe a very difficult comparison.

Tiger-afied Strat > Mid p/u in single coil > SMS > MC2100 > ED.

Settings: Volume just above the balance point. Drive 12:20. Tone - Cranked. This setting to me sounds like a small Fender amp just at the point of breaking up (power side). With an OBEL this can be at any volume. Enormously consistent in this configuation.

Turn on the other HB coil. Neil Young Tweed Deluxe - Like a Hurricane, not Cortez.

If you cranked the drive pot on the ED you might get to fuzzy. But in my opinion incredibly sweet to just have it riding on that super clean signal, in the "just barely there" range.

I'll have to post a sound clip of what I'm talking about. Probably September. Summer is booked.
Peace
M
Thanks man .... yeah I got a Distortion + .... maybe I will break that out again..... just looking for a bit O grit ...
 #115591  by gr8fullfred

Nice to see someone else with a Metal Zone pedal. I think they are great! Obviously not pure Jerry, but you can find them for like $35 on Ebay or CL and they are worth it.
 #115592  by tcsned

gr8fullfred wrote:Nice to see someone else with a Metal Zone pedal. I think they are great! Obviously not pure Jerry, but you can find them for like $35 on Ebay or CL and they are worth it.
I love that pedal. I'm thinking of getting the Keely mod for it, not pure Jerry but it's cool for that super-saturated tone . . . plus, if I have to play some Metallica I'm ready :cool:

Actually, the Hyper Fuzz has been the one that I have been having some fun with lately. I don't think that Boss makes those anymore.
 #115610  by tcsned

Ok, I got a quick test in just to make sure the Mac is functioning.

First impression - :cool: very clean, plenty loud, killer tone! A perfect match for the SMS CTP. I didn't get to plug in effects yet so no test with the Earth Drive. I'm gonna try to squeeze a few minutes in tomorrow but might not get a full test in till my gig Friday.

I can't wait to see how it works at gig levels!
 #115657  by tcsned

Well, I got a little more time this evening and I don't know what I'm impressed more with the Mac or the Earth Drive. The fullness of the tones I got from the Mac are spectacular. I love my Boogie and the Mosvalve has a good, musical quality to it but the Mac has something the others don't.

On to the Earth Drive - with the gain turned low it adds some pretty transparent gain with just a little break up. It's perfect for that ever so slightly overdriven sound. I was kind of expecting it to be super strong for this use and it didn't let me down. What was a pleasant surprise is how it sounded when I cranked up the drive. It is totally fucking badass for some gritty rock and roll. The only thing I'm kinda bummed about is now I want two of them so I don't have to play with the knobs while I'm on stage.

The final test will be Friday at my gig. I'll try to get some video with decent audio.

I wish I had more thumbs so I could give these new toys 4 thumbs up!

#115735  by tcsned

One gig in the books with the Earth Drive and the MC2100.

First the Earth Drive - most of the show I used used it to give a little edge to the Mac. I set the gain low less than 1/4 of the way up the tone a little on the treble side and the level a little past halfway. I used it for a little boost and grit for "clean-ish" parts. Pretty subtle but the perfect edge to cut through without really sounding distorted. Also sounded great with the Mutron especially solo stuff. We did a Neil Young song, Motorcycle Mama - and turned the drive up about 3/4 of the way up and really got raunchy. Really doesn't matter where you set it, I find a tone I like and can pull something cool out of it. I still used the T-Rex Dr Swamp for more saturated tuff. I did use the low gain channel in the Dr Swamp with the Earth Drive a couple of times and that worked too. I can't be happier with it - Brad, you ROCK.

Now the MC2100 - I wasn't expecting it to sound a whole lot different than the MOSVALVE, better for sure, but not night and day different, it was. Very even across the whole spectrum. Low notes had just as much push as the high ones and all of 'em in between. Nothing harsh or piercing though I cranked the shit out of it to test it out. I doubt that my amp mic was on at all :cool: i used half of the amp, 105w I think I may have had it halfway up. It's got plenty of juice. The biggest surprise is that I use a talk box on occasion and it was clearer and better sounding than ever though the Mac. I didn't think it would matter what was powering that thing - a 3 or 4" speaker in a box forced through a piece of surgical tube (not exactly a Baltic Birch 2x12) but it was pretty astounding. The Mutron was also more balanced across the spectrum.

Two new toys that kicked ass at their first gig instead of kicking my ass - gotta love it!
 #115859  by tcsned

Hey Jedi - here is a video that I quickly cut together from my first test of the Earth Drive and the MC2100. All the audio came from the camera mic. I doubt if my guitar was in the PA very much or at all. I tried to include most of the different settings I used. The edits are a little harsh, I'm at work so I don't have time to make it pretty :roll:

#115861  by dleonard

wow that high gain stranger jam sounded amazing!
 #115868  by Tennessee Jedi

tcsned wrote:Hey Jedi - here is a video that I quickly cut together from my first test of the Earth Drive and the MC2100. All the audio came from the camera mic. I doubt if my guitar was in the PA very much or at all. I tried to include most of the different settings I used. The edits are a little harsh, I'm at work so I don't have time to make it pretty :roll:

Thanks for taking the time ,man - I hope I can sound that good some day !
Hahaha - you have been mentioning the talk box for awhile now - loved it !
I wont have a Mac .... but hopefully can get a good sound with the power amp I go with ...
- Tom
 #115872  by mgbills

tcsned,

Couldn't make it out in the embedded video....If you're playing a Super2 or a Super Dist in the middle postion, just flip the HB on. I find that if I put the light grit in the single coil, the high-output HB just cranks it. No knob fiddling...just flip the switch.

Jerry to Neil in a single switch.

Killer playing ...by-the-by. The female vocalist rocks it!
Peace
M