#115076  by gpilcher2001

Hi all, i'm looking for input or advice from anyone who has reconing done. Weber seems to do the most thorough job as far as servicing the whole speaker. They offer the demag remag service, bit do they rebuild to spec? Does anyone know if you have them recone a k120, do they use cali parts or to spec aftermarket parts? Also any input from other experiences with different reconers. Has anyone used tone tubby for a hemp recone 120? I guess anything and all input on this matter would be cool. Thanks greg
 #115085  by JonnyBoy

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/m ... de=KIT-JBL

This is a cone dealer that seems to have done their research. All the other sites I have seen have cones that are not like the real JBL cones, as much as these guys have done. A JBL E120 cone is considered an OEM part for the K120. When JBL developed the E series they kept the same exact design needed to fit D120 and K120 speakers for recone. I think going with an authorized JBL re-cone dealer will get you the E kit, if there are anymore to be had. I heard they are on back order/waiting list...

Again, the above site seems to have done their homework for the better so we can have cones that are close.
 #115111  by lunasparks

JonnyBoy wrote: I think going with an authorized JBL re-cone dealer will get you the E kit, if there are anymore to be had. I heard they are on back order/waiting list...

Again, the above site seems to have done their homework for the better so we can have cones that are close.
Just an FYI along these lines. I'm getting a K120 re-coned right now via a local JBL dealer. So far it's been almost 3 months and we've been through 2 bunk recone kits. The guy at the shop told me that JBL is/was going through some production quality issues with their recone kits...and they don't appear to have worked out the kinks just yet. So, yes, it appears they are on back order and to make matters worse some of the ones they've produced most recently seem to have some serious problems...in my case, both kits they sent the shop had failed voice coils. I really hope the third times a charm and they get their quality back to spec.
 #115113  by rugger

+1 for Upland Loudspeaker.

John in San Diego
 #115114  by Smolder

Kenny (edge wound) at upland is a nice and knowledgable guy and has a reputation for doing great work. Re-cone kits are on back order with JBL... it's clearly not a priority for JBL, but hell... a re-cone costs more than the speakers on the used market. Very odd circumstances... sure wish someone would pick up the ball like Scumback did with pre-rola greenbacks.
Last edited by Smolder on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #115134  by gpilcher2001

Thanks for the input. Has anyone had experience with a broun sound/ tone tubby jbl recones. They also do a hemp cone for jbl 120's. I believe JK uses these. Also would like some opinions on the importance of demag remag. Greg...
 #120683  by Vin-Tone

The C8RE120 (8 ohm recone kit) is what is available these days from JBL. It will fit, and will work just fine in a D/K/E-120. I will say is that the retail price for this kit in the most recent JBL Transducer Parts List is $264 and that does not include any shipping or labor. Now I have always been and will always be a JBL speaker fan, but that is ridiculous.

There are some very good aftermarket parts available for these speakers today. Reconed properly these vintage JBL's can sing again. But parts alone a good recone do not make. The technique used in the recone process is every bit as important as the parts used. Also without the proper Fixtures, Shims and Adhesives the outcome could be disastrous.

I know some the folks at Weber personally and have a great deal of respect for them. However the parts they offer to recone JBL's and any speakers for the most part are ones that they use in production of their own products. These parts are modified to fit but are not the best parts that are available for that particular recone. Remember. Just because the parts fit don't mean the are the correct ones for the job.
 #130364  by ugly rumor

I notice you are from Colorado. DO NOT take the speaker to the place off of Federal on Alameda in Denver. The speaker guy is dishonest and a rip. I can't remember the name of the place; down the hill from Federal, on the left, past Tejon, before Santa Fe. Beware!!