Place for the rest of the music
 #10988  by shakedown_04092

Jerry used to do an Eleanor Rigby Jam out of and back into After Midnight way back when, and I was wondering if anybody had that tabbed out or could help me tab it out. I don't have a version of it, but I can hear it in my head.

Thanks in advance for any help!

#11025  by d-v-s

Shakedown,
i've heard that jam before - i think i have an mp3 of it somewhere, and I could probably send it to you by e-mail (just the elanor rigby part). It should only be about 3 MB.

I've never tabbed out the whole thing, but I know a few pieces that could probably set you on your way. Here's what I can remember:

Intro - base of the song:
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G|------------------------------7------------------------------------------4--5--4-----
D|--7--7--9---------------7--9-----11--9--11----9--7--9----7--5--7----5h7--------------
A|-----------10--7----10---------------------------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

repeat that a couple of times, then for the "all the lonely people, where do they all belong" part it's something like this:
E|--------------------------------------------
B|--------------------------------------------
G|------------------------9--7----------------
D|--7------7--9----------9------9--7p5--7-----
A|-----10--------10--7------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------

then there's the "i look at all the lonely people" part:

E|-------------------------------------------
B|---------------10--------------------------
G|--9----11--12--------12--11--9--7h9--------
D|-------------------------------------9-----
A|-------------------------------------------
E|-------------------------------------------

hope this helps.

#11038  by tigerstrat

Best Rigby jams IMO:

1. 2/12/80
2. 3/8/80
3. 2/28/80

the tough part is when they begin to double-time the whole progression!

#11042  by shakedown_04092

Ahh, big thanks for tabbing that out.

Which jam do you have? My brother brought a JGB double-disc (not sure of the name, it's in my car, it's sort of earthy-toned in color, though) to practice last night that has an After Midnight > Rigby > After Midnight, so I'll use that & try to tab it out as well.

If you have a different jam, I'd love to hear it. You can send it to my email if it's not too much trouble: shakedown_04092@yahoo.com.

Thanks again for the tab, can't wait to try it out!

#11044  by Jimkkc

Does JGB play this in the same key as the Beatles? Looking at the tabbed out version and without a guitar in hand, that looks like either a C or Am scale?

I think, if I remember correctly, the Beatles play with Em and C chords - which would put the tune in G?ieve -

I agree tigerstrat, those versions you list are beyond description.

#11048  by d-v-s

tigerstrat/jimkkc,
I've heard the 2/28/80 jam, and while I agree that Rigby is great, the after midnight portion is tainted by the synthesizer solos. The rest of the band is smokin', but the synthesizer... i know it was the 80's and all, but really!

What are the other 2 jams like (2/12 and 3/8)? Do they also have a synthesizer?

#11056  by tigerstrat

Ozzie Allers rules the synth! He gives it right back to Garcia and pushes him into hyperdrive. I love this incarnation of the JGB.

#11091  by d-v-s

tigerstrat,
OK, i'll make a concession on that one - Ozzie does rock the synthesizer, as good as it can be played. I just don't think it's the right instrument for the music. It's like hearing Culture Club cover "Eyes of the World."

That being said, you take what you can get, and what you get ain't bad. We can't change the band as we desire, but thanks to digital music, we can quickly skip over tracks that don't tickle our fancy.

I didn't get the feeling that Ozzy was pushing Jerry on so much as it was Kahn and de Foncesca on the bass and drums (though mostly Kahn). The rhythm section on this album is right on throughout the show!
 #11479  by pinkfloyd188

trolling the forums again, saw the post and had to add this. besides, you can't learn a new song and not jam it, can you?

the album After Midnight i believe you're talking about. the jam between After Midnight and Eleanor Rigby is a favorite of mine. mostly in E but for those aspiring bassists, i tabbed out the run for the jam.

i play this on a 6-string bass, so i have it a bit easier but it's doable on a 4-stringer. i'll tab both instruments out.

G|----999-7---------|--------------------|
D|-----------7-8-9--|--------------------|
A|-7----------------|-7-5----------------|
E|------------------|-----7-5-3-0---5-6-7|

G|----999-7---------|--------------------|
D|-----------7-8-9--|--------------------|
A|-7----------------|-7-5----------------|
E|------------------|-----7-5-------5-6-7|
B|------------------|---------8-5--------|

another variation, 6- and 4-string

G|----999-7--9-12-7-8|9-7-----------------|
D|-------------------|----9-7-------------|
A|-7-----------------|--------10-7--------|
E|-------------------|---------------5-6-7|

C|-------------7-----|--------------------|
G|----999-7--9----7-8|9-7-----------------|
D|-------------------|----9-7-------------|
A|-7-----------------|--------10-7--------|
E|-------------------|---------------5-6-7|

little run in between solo's.

G|---------------------------|
D|----------------0h2--0-----|
A|-----------0h2----------2-0|
E|-0-0--3-3------------------|

these aren't entirely accurate, i mean, we ARE talking John Kahn here. it's the best i could do. enjoy!