When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #114647  by Cmnaround

The best show for me was always the last show I was at. I always walked out saying to myself - damn - how did they manage to pull that off again??? And better than the last time??? First show summer 84 last show fall 93 to place into some context.

And with respect to clothes and shit - just let your freak flag fly man!!!
 #114648  by Rusty the Scoob

It's a shirt, not a ticket stub! I envy people who got to see Jerry in his prime (or at all, for that matter) but it's not like they're superior beings, you know? And if they think they are, then they're definitely not.

Most older heads that I've met are totally cool with kids who are into the music. They know we're keeping something special alive, and will still be doing so when they're gone.
 #114649  by Cmnaround

Rusty the Scoob wrote:Most older heads that I've met are totally cool with kids who are into the music. They know we're keeping something special alive, and will still be doing so when they're gone.
Nice reminder of my own mortality there Rusty! However once Dead forever Grateful I shall be - for sure!
 #114652  by metsrule64

You guys are right but are totally missing my point, what i am trying to say is that i feel like now and days there are loads of fake fans. People who like them because of the image when they really do not even listen to the music. It doesn't bother me only when they flaunt that they "like" the Dead.
 #114656  by vwjodyme

Like wearing a GD shirt because they saw Justin Timberlake do it? :lol: I think that happens every where...do you think everyone with an iron maiden or bob marley shirt is a die hard fan or they just think it will make them look cool.
 #114658  by tigerstrat

It just doesn't get more overrated than May 8 1977.

"... of all time!" - Kanye
 #114659  by lightningbolt

Original Dead Heads....lets see....

Does that mean the 4 people or less...Jer always said there were more people in the band than the audience at the beginning, that showed up at Magoo's Pizza in Menlo Park in mid 1965......

We are all Dead Heads and we are all fans in our own way....no right....no wrong...no degrees of devotion....we all appreciate the boys in different ways, none better and none worse...no right uniform and no wrong uniform....although you can never ever go wrong with a Black Tee Shirt!
 #114660  by JonnyBoy

Posers are everywhere, don't let it freak you out. But as I age, I actually now see an insecure youngster rather than a dumb ass poser. If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad, If it makes them happy why the hell are you so sad?
 #114661  by tigerstrat

metsrule64 wrote:You guys are right but are totally missing my point, what i am trying to say is that i feel like now and days there are loads of fake fans. People who like them because of the image when they really do not even listen to the music. It doesn't bother me only when they flaunt that they "like" the Dead.
Fakes/posers have always been around and always will... now I'm picturing a guy in a curly wig and white make-up saying "oh yeah dude, like I'm totally into Mozart, he rules!"
 #114663  by hogan

metsrule64 wrote:You guys are right but are totally missing my point, what i am trying to say is that i feel like now and days there are loads of fake fans. People who like them because of the image when they really do not even listen to the music. It doesn't bother me only when they flaunt that they "like" the Dead.
It's not your job to figure out who really likes and doesn't really like anything. Drop the Holden Caulfield act, at 17years old w/ this subject matter, you're in no position to decide phoney from real. Letting this kind of thing bother you will only marginalize your own enjoyment of this music.
 #114669  by Grateful Dad

The Phillies won the series in 2008. Loads of people jumped on the bandwagon who were not hard core followers through the years. During the playoffs, the series, the night they won the series and the day of the parade bandwagon fan or not it did not matter, we all partied/celebrated, and then the parade came, we (bandwagon jumpers, die hard fans, casual fans, old, young, wearing Phillies gear or a Rocky Balboa outfit, etc....) did it again....my point is that I did not consider anyone "fake" for wanting to partake in the experience of playoff baseball euphoria. :drink:

Likewise if someone is at least open enough flaunt that they like the dead, that can't be a bad thing? Consider it an opportunity to welcome them further into the universe of Deadheads.....

:D

I see lots of parallels here between baseball fans and Deadheads.

:smile:
 #114694  by jeffm725

let me tell you something....the Grateful Dead havent been around for 17 years. The fact that there are 17 year olds posting on a GD board is a Great thing!
What's a fake fan vs. a real fan? I kinda get what you are saying, but I would rather have a fake fan than NO fan....and maybe those "posers" will end up "learning" ;everyone has to start somewhere. As a musician and also someone who wants to see the spirit kept alive, I am Grateful for these posers! I have a monthly all ages gig that draws between 7-900 people and 500 of them probably would be considered "posers" as they are between 16-21 years old and werent there when stuff was happening. They can come and mix with older fans and hopefully some stuff is passed down. But everybody has to find their own way, and someone's choice of a shirt does not dictate "real from fake".
 #114700  by gr8fullfred

What I find inspiring is that there are "younger DHs" at all. As has been said, Jerry and the Grateful Dead have been gone for 17 years. The fact that there are 17 year old people interested in the music, is a tribute to the music itself, as these younger fans never saw Jerry or the Grateful Dead. So the fact that the recorded music can touch these fans, without the concert experience, is strong statement to the music itself. And of course Furthur is doing quite well these days.