#2583  by DaSylman

Anybody Ever Like this tune....Well Of Course it's about boppin' Betties....Anyway Picked this up fron the Version on Dick's Picks Vol. #28. if anyone is interested in the tab hit me up, i always enjoy other peoples tabs too......
P.S.= trying to figure it out at the tempo of the Studio Album cut it tough i would go for a latter or earlier one with the slower tempo till you get it down :x :x :x

#2588  by Cosmic C

Funny you ask that. I was listening to 7/16/90 at Rich Stadium yesterday and there's a great Lucy. I thought to myself, self, that would be a good one to learn.
 #21478  by arunsn25

this is another good loose lucy.

#21481  by Billbbill

I don't know about the studio but I play the later live versions like this:

Vamp in A on something like this for a bit. I barre the 2nd fret with the index finger.
---A
e|----------------|-------
b|----------------|-------
g|---------2-2----|--------2-2---
d|-2-2-4-2----4-2-|2-2-4-2----4-2-
a|-0-------0------|0-------0----
E|----------------|-------

You can just strum it out a bit and add that 4 on the D where it needs to be.

The intro lick is something like this

---A
e|-----------------------
b|-----------------------
g|-------2-----4b6-----2-2-------
d|-2-4-2---4-2-----2-4-2---5p4p2----
a|-0-----0---------0-------------3h4-0
E|-----------------------

For acoustic it's pretty much a 5b6 on the g string.
 #63461  by wtractor

hi.. i'm new to guitar playing... does anyone have the tab for the riff that jerry plays on all chords (not the intro lick)... example: 7-16-90
 #63495  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I'm really partial to the fast tempo versions from 1974. Portland '74 is a good example. Bob works the E7 sus4 to E7 mostly at the 9th fret. Jerry works the same when he's not playing the riff, mostly in the 7th position. And Phil, well let's just say Phil runs the song in 1974. The studio version is actually one of my favorite studio cuts they ever did. Phil is absolutely ridiculous in that version.

The 1990 versions are nice, kind of boppin' along, more of a straight blues feel than the '74 hippie funk.

If you can be more clear about what parts you are talking about I;d be glad to tab it out for you. I listened to the '90 version you put up there and Jerry just seems to be playing the basic chords when he's not on the riff. On the A he will run this which is standard Jerry bag. (Train to Laugh, Jerry version of Masterpiece, etc)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----2-----------3-------------------------------------------------------
-----2-----------0-------------------------------------------------------
-----2-----------4-------------------------------------------------------

You can also play that open G in the second chords as an A with the second finger as well. Two different flavors. The G, (flat 7) gives it a definite bluesy vibe.
 #114575  by Jon S.

My band tried and dropped the song originally - we just couldn't get it to work for us. Then I came across a pre-studio version recording of the Dead playing it at Winterland on October 11, 1973. That version is slower, funkier, and seems to have more space (as in "emptiness/room," not "psychaelicness). We tried it that way and the first time we played it, we knew we had a winner. It's been a regular piece of our set lists since. If you want to try the '73 Winterland version, its available on http://www.nugs.net in the Free Stash section.
 #114580  by JonnyBoy

We like to do it more like the original version(s) and maybe even funk it out a little... People really like this tune! And as MK said dropping a beat before the A is a part of it! Here is a recording of how we've been doing it....

http://archive.org/download/fenians_120 ... e_lucy.mp3
 #114594  by mttourpro

thought I'd throw a thought in about this tune.
The tab on this site says

A
Listen to the birds on the hot wire sing,
E7 Eb7/E D7/E E
Yeah (yeah), Yeah (yeah), Yeah (yeah), Yeah.
F# B E
Singing, "Thank you, for a real good time!"

"E7 Eb7/E D7/E E"---is not correct

should really be

E7 E dim/E Eb dim/E E

that is all.
 #114597  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:The hardest part of the song is the 3-count (as opposed to 4-count) before going to the 'A'.

Listen carefully...
Not in the early versions. This song actually has had a few progressions:
4 count in the A along with "round and round, Woo!, round and round"
A slow dredge with 3 count of A
A midtempo Mars Hotel with 3 count of A
A picked up pace in your face with 3 count of A
mttourpro wrote:
should really be

E7 E dim/E Eb dim/E E
What are you saying with the slashes that the E is in the bass for all of those?

I think it's simply: E7 Eo7 Ebo7 E
 #114599  by mttourpro

What are you saying with the slashes that the E is in the bass for all of those?

yup
 #114607  by strumminsix

mttourpro wrote:What are you saying with the slashes that the E is in the bass for all of those?

yup
Hold on, so in your mind-map the bass holds the E note at each step of the walk-down while the rest chromatically walk it down?!
 #114624  by tigerstrat

I prefer to say "Am6/E", but "D7/E" might be better designated as "D9/E" and would essentially be the same thing as "Eb dim/E" (diminished 7-9?)... however (at this moment as I sit at my desk) I'm not so sure the chord in question even has an Eb in it...?