#114541  by jeffm725

Not Maybe Phaser and distortion, DEFINITELY Phaser and Distortion!!! Great sound!
 #114570  by Tony6Strings

I love Jerry's tone on "Go To Heaven". Almost sounds like he's using a compressor or something on some of the tracks, even though it's that classic Jerry crisp clean it's got a real roundness to it... Can't quite put my finger on it, but I surely dig the sound.
 #114576  by Emoto

I have not worked on getting this tone at all, so could be very wrong, but it almost sounds to me like he has a small amount of envelope filter dialed in, that gives it a kind of squishy sound. Anyone else hear that?
 #114588  by tigerstrat

is this question about what Garcia used live in concert... or in the studio on Go To Heaven?
 #114598  by Cmnaround

tigerstrat wrote:is this question about what Garcia used live in concert... or in the studio on Go To Heaven?
Good question - I heard the tune on Sirius a week or so ago and I think it was indeed the studio version from Go To Heaven, but I am more interested in the live approach.

This raises a really good discussion, which may have already been hashed out already or could deserve a new topic thread: Preference for studio material vs. live material?

For me, I only ever listened to the studio stuff way back in the day when I was first getting into the band and going through each album, but I have always relied on my tapes and now the archive, Sirius and bit torrent for live material. Even when going to shows starting in 84 and then heavy from Spring 87 until Brent died in Summer of '90, my preference was always live shows, SBD or audience.

But I can totally see an application of the studio material for learning, as it could be viewed as pretty much the definitive refernce for the song or solo, as the live versions are all over the place depending on year and mood of the band :? . So I can see how the studio material would be helpful to get grounded when learning tunes, but I still go straight to the live material.

A long winded answer to your question - it's the live version(s) I'm interested in :P
 #114617  by jeffm725

Live Version...Just Phaser and Distortion....The nature of RUKIND is to delve into the minutiae, :smile: :smile: but really it is nothing more than that. Phase100 and D+ on the early ones....Try it, you'll like it :-)
 #114618  by strumminsix

Cmnaround wrote:This raises a really good discussion, which may have already been hashed out already or could deserve a new topic thread: Preference for studio material vs. live material?
As a gigging musician I see it like this:
The studio version will teach you the song
The liver versions will teach you how to play the song
 #114638  by NSP

strumminsix wrote:
Cmnaround wrote:This raises a really good discussion, which may have already been hashed out already or could deserve a new topic thread: Preference for studio material vs. live material?
But I don't like liver. Kidding, sorry Strummin.

I do agree with your observation though, studio versions will provide a consistent arrangement that can be the launch pad for live improvisation.
 #114640  by strumminsix

NSP wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
But I don't like liver. Kidding, sorry Strummin.

I do agree with your observation though, studio versions will provide a consistent arrangement that can be the launch pad for live improvisation.
LOL!!! neither do I! whoops..

Bobby's intro for Feel Like a Stranger and the pre-chorus interlude required me to go between live and studio versions MANY times over.
 #114906  by Capt Rosebuddy

something like this?

https://vimeo.com/24227565

I think it's real important to not look at the GD in so much of a vacuum (something I'm totally guilty of), and the Go to Heven album is a great example. The Doobie Brothers influence is totally unmistakable on Far From Me, but I personally think the real straw sturing the drink is Some Girls, the '78 Rolling Stones album. Keith Richards used the MXR phase 100 on Shattered, I think that the Stones 'Dicso' album was the target for the Go to Heven sound. Garcia, being Garcia picked up the ball and ran with it to great effect.
 #114926  by tigerstrat

Doobie Brothers? OK, I'll bite: which DB's song influenced this?