#114506  by shannonjim2

Curious as to the groups thoughts on the Ibanez AD and UE rack mount effects Units. I am converting to a rack mount with a Sarno pre-amp, and have been thinking about this versus the stomp boxes. I recall some older forum posts on these units - and I recall the UE 700 is the holy grail - where the AD 230 is the low-end option ? There are UE 400 and 405s for sale out there - I am seeking that late 70s Bobby tone - can any of these units deliver those tones in your expert opinions ? Thanks.
 #114507  by jeffm725

UE400 and UE405 both deliver Bobby lates 70's tones. The AD's are Delays and modulations and nice to have...the UE's are NEED to have. I would go 400 first.
 #114515  by jeffm725

yeah strummin, definitely, but unless yours is still for sale :smile: he might as well be looking for a Travis Bean! UE400's and 405's can still be had, 700's are as rare as Hen's teeth!
 #114520  by strumminsix

jeffm725 wrote:yeah strummin, definitely, but unless yours is still for sale :smile: he might as well be looking for a Travis Bean! UE400's and 405's can still be had, 700's are as rare as Hen's teeth!
LOL! Yeah, well it did take me a while. The Flanger I think is the FL305 and is so controllable it's so musically tasty you forget it's an effect almost!!

Mine's still up as well as my Modulus soon. But honestly, if they don't sell I'll continue to love them for years to come :) I'd love a Modulus Tele Blackknife, almost pulled the trigger on one last week then then seller said it was heavier than alot of Les Pauls!!
 #114524  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:AD230 & UE700 are high end. There were expensive pro-grade boxes.

The UE400 & 405 were priced as consumer-grade boxes, however, they were still very good with more effects and flexibility than the 230 & 700.

mk
how do you figure the 400 or 405 being more flexible than the 700? besides changing the order or effects? the 700 has more tone control, IMO. And I like how you can plug into the foot switch to minimize cables!
 #114525  by Cmnaround

Not mine but there is an AD-202 on Philly craigist for $250. Been up for about a month at that price so maybe there is a deal to be had somewhere - although based on the model number I'm gonna assume its not in the same league as the other units in this discussion.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/3010109078.html
 #114532  by tigerstrat

"drkstrcrshes" was just recently raving to me about the quality of the AD-230. One guy's opinion, yes, but here's a guy who has tried and owns or owned (largely concurrently) just about every effect that has existed... especially delays!

I bwelieve his words were along the lines of "why did Jerry use the green MXR while Bobby had the (superior) 230?"
 #114543  by strumminsix

tigerstrat wrote:"drkstrcrshes" was just recently raving to me about the quality of the AD-230. One guy's opinion, yes, but here's a guy who has tried and owns or owned (largely concurrently) just about every effect that has existed... especially delays!

I bwelieve his words were along the lines of "why did Jerry use the green MXR while Bobby had the (superior) 230?"
I often wonder that about alot of his effects choices - think about it, less the M3, most were crappy Boss pedals or regular MXR.
I have a theory - that the rest of his rig was so hi-fi that mod'd studio quality effects woulda sounded bad. Again, just a theory.