#104182  by claytushaywood

just saw where they use dado joints?!? isnt that something found on like crate cabs? seriously arent those the cabs that start rattling after a while? not to mention they load it with tone tubby hemp cones... and the amp is $3400 (and doesnt include a mcintosh). along with $80 cables (you can buy that cable for about .80 cents a foot online)
Someone wanna school me on cabinet making? wouldnt a dovetailed joint be way better?
 #104185  by paulinnc

There has been a big discussion on HT style cabinets already and many people make the same style cable. Run a search in the equipment forums and you will find a lot of info, just gotta poke around.
 #104219  by hard truckers co

Hi Clay. If you have any questions about our cabs or accessories please feel free to contact us directly at hardtruckersco@aol.com. There is a difference between ourselves and all the rest. Good luck should you descide to build your own cab, we are always happy to answer questions and fully support DIY projects.
Peace
Glenn
 #104290  by zambiland

Glenn and the Hard Truckers folks make a cabinet that goes way beyond what a simple description of a speaker cabinet is. My guess is that there isn't a single Hard Trucker cabinet that rattles out there, including the ones from the early 70s. It's like saying that a Yugo and Porsche are both cars. On second thought, that analogy is flawed because a HT cabinet will outlast a Porsche by decades with a lot less service required.

And Glenn speaks the truth when it comes to his support of the community of DIY'ers. Thanks for the advice on the magnets, it worked out great!

The bottom line is that if you haven't tried a HT cabinet, you have no basis for assessing what they really are. I haven't tried the amps yet, but if they are putting their name on the line, you know it's going to sound great and last through the most intense abuse you can give it. Those of us who have done years of weeks on end on the road know what the real value of that is.
 #104293  by hotasaPistol

Hard Truckers is the bomb.........I have a Psychedelic Liberator that I play thru a Music Man HD 130 Head and it is unbelievable........ I wouldn't worry about dado joints ...I would worry more about what you really want to sound like and are you worthy of playing their gear....let alone is your playing good enough......Glenn and company don't have their reputation just because.,
my 50 cents...you get what you pay for and that will never change...........

George :smile: :smile: :smile:
Flame on!
 #104297  by playingdead

Plus one on Glenn's gear ... I've used two of his cabinets and they are as road worthy as they come. Plus, he's about the nicest guy you'll ever meet and he was really helpful when I was building my own cabinet before getting the real deal. And that amp sounded great when I played through it and it's built like a tank.

#104298  by Tennessee Jedi

Glen seems like real cool guy - always positive and up beat - and the Dead Gear Expo thing was pure genius !
:-)
 #104300  by strumminsix

claytushaywood wrote:Post by claytushaywood » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:54 pm
just saw where they use dado joints?!? isnt that something found on like crate cabs? seriously arent those the cabs that start rattling after a while? not to mention they load it with tone tubby hemp cones... and the amp is $3400 (and doesnt include a mcintosh). along with $80 cables (you can buy that cable for about .80 cents a foot online)
Someone wanna school me on cabinet making? wouldnt a dovetailed joint be way better?
There are many reasons why cabinets rattle, break, loose resonance, etc like bad design, half-assed manufacturing, poor lumber, bad cuts, shitty glue, improperly gripped during assembly, etc... From all I have seen, been told, read, etc, never have any of these been accusations against HT.

I'd put the type of joint at the bottom of the list and maybe focus more on how the joint used is executed. As I understand the designs used by Glenn and the HT's are the same as used by the GD during the wall of sound which was dismantled and sold off in the mid 70s and still used by musicians today. So that's over 37 years or road worthiness.

Regarding cost of components keep in mind that we all pay for: shop overhead, expertise, warranty, labor, cost of design/R&D, etc.

Hope this helps!!
 #104302  by jester536

I'm no woodworker...my brother is a master...so does that give me the right to comment on this? The birch ply is great stuff to use on these cabs and it would be my understanding that dovetail joints with plywood is not advisable. If you were using a nice solid hardwood you might want to use dovetail joints...but isn't that going to drive up the cost and the weight. It's my guess that HT as done their homework on this and has landed on the best of all worlds.
 #105316  by wolftigerrosebud

Hard Truckers is a great company. I haven't played through one of their cabs, but Glenn spent like a solid half hour on the phone with me just talking about options. Even when I decided to go a different (read cheaper) route with the hope of buying a HT cab in the future, he was gracious and kind. Some of the best customer service out there, and that's a really good sign as to everything else from their company. Not to mention that I haven't heard a single bad thing about their cabs.
 #114080  by Smolder

Jenifer17 wrote:There are some hard truckers of the lightweight type that are designed of nasty. They are less costly than the grp protects and some are very simple to eliminate as they are much brighter and have fast launch hooks for simple treatment.

OFC Schmidt that point to

Me spam no get what?
 #114091  by hogan

hard truckers co wrote: There is a difference between ourselves and all the rest.
Peace
Glenn
Perhaps, but not a better or worse type of difference save for the $100's if not $1000's more you charge. There are no moving parts in an unloaded speaker cab. Is your plywood magical?
 #114114  by rob

LOVE my JG1. Period.
 #114115  by Rojack01

Glen is one hell of a nice guy who sells a quality product. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy his premium gear and cabs. His top of the line cab is expensive, but the people who buy them are well aware of their options and they pulled the trigger anywhere. Anybody who says they have a better product should shut their mouth and let the music and their bottom line do the talking. Putting down Hard Truckers is the equivalent of me listening to John K, and being like, "Dude, I only charge 200 a night and I am just as good if not better" It doesn't matter how many people have heard me play or how good I am because the bottom line is, He is on top at the moment and we are looking up. Like I said, "Let the music do the talking!"
 #114161  by JonnyBoy

I have been a carpenter for years, there is nothing faulty with Hard Truckers design I can see. While it is expensive relative to the materials and such, That is a personal choice for an individual to make. Glen happily helped me design my 2x10 measurement wise with a kind attitude and no charge. Thanks Glen! With Baltic birch you could possibly dovetail, but it runs the risk of chipping the ply for sure. Baltic Birch is just amazing plywood quality wise, the best.

i have made numerous plywood "boxes" and that is the standard way to do it! If you glue the joints well, there is nothing to worry about. I have no idea what rumors you are worried about, but they sure as hell aren't made like HT cabs if they fall apart. Hell, check out the vintage amps construction. My twin is not dovetailed. Sounds like Crate was using MDF, a wood product that can swell, shrink, have screws and nails work their way out, etc.... That would be my guess on that.