#114126  by tcsned

Thanks for the info Brad, it's seems counterintuitive but I've always liked the 15" for guitar.
 #114130  by Smolder

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:back on topic,
geez dude... I was just adding to yours...
 #114132  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Smolder, I wasn't the least bit bothered by where the topic went, no emotion there. Just referring back to the title of the thread because I recently played a gig using a 15" JBL for guitar. I usually use it for pedal steel, but I enjoyed it so much on guitar I thought I'd share my recent thoughts. I know it's hard to hear tone of voice or read facial expressions on forums, but really there was no sass in my "back on topic" comment whatsoever. I enjoy the whole conversation and have no attachment as to where the thread goes. It's a conversation.

B
 #114133  by Smolder

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:Smolder, I wasn't the least bit bothered by where the topic went, no emotion there. Just referring back to the title of the thread because I recently played a gig using a 15" JBL for guitar. I usually use it for pedal steel, but I enjoyed it so much on guitar I thought I'd share my recent thoughts. I know it's hard to hear tone of voice or read facial expressions on forums, but really there was no sass in my "back on topic" comment whatsoever. I enjoy the whole conversation and have no attachment as to where the thread goes. It's a conversation.

B

Cool. Thanks for the clarification Brad. Clearly the 'snark' was in my head pre coffee.

My d130 is currently my favorite speaker (in an open back cab as well). While I'm currently a bit infatuated with the d123's and never hesitate to play through the d130's. I think JBL's are my speakers of choice.

Mark
 #114136  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Cool.

I think the D123 may be about my favorite too, at least with certain low power amps and tones. But the one thing I find with the K110 and D123 (same 3" motor) is that they're SO efficient in the high crispy highs that I need to do things electronically to tame the crispness back a bit and let the killer midrange depth and warmth come forward. The D123 definitely sounds cooler when it's being pushed with 10 to 20 watts compared to the typical 2-4 watts we generally listen to in our homes. And with the extremely high efficiency of JBL's it's really hard to appreciate them at home all by ourselves unless we're really blaring. But live, on stage, I don't know of any other speaker that I can truly hear and control at loud volumes with a band rocking out. The JBL clarity and accuracy just shines thru and always gets heard.

The JBL thing always reminds me of the classic Allman Bros Band tones since they loaded up their marshall 4-12"s with them. I bet they learned that from the Dead.

B
 #114138  by Smolder

so... great conversation... and at the risk of furthering the divergence from the 15...

I have a k110 and a d110. I have the d110 in my princeton reverb and I never feel like I'm optimizing that speaker. I know kimock does it... but it feels like it should be pushed more. these d123's have me regretting getting rid of the 12" baffle princeton. That would have worked well. Maybe I'll have a sf deluxe someday. I do have a k110 matched with a weber california ceramic 10 in a vibrolux... and they balance out very nicely. I am actually pretty impressed with the ceramic californias... they get beat up pretty well on forums.

As you can tell I have a lot invested in various jbl's and the variants right now, as well as fender sf and bf amps. I'm making up for about 20 years focusing on work and such. I'll be weeding these out over the next couple of year, but in the meantime I think I have the makings for some nice comparison samplings. Just waiting on a couple of rezones to complete the set - I'll get that done this summer.

Before I discovered the dead... I was completely in grossed in the all man brothers. In fact that blues scale shift they did (at the augmented seventh I believe) is something I can not seem to get past. The allman bros and the dead have forever shifted my tonal expectations.
 #114223  by brbadg

At the risk of sounding opportunistic,I really do have an extra vintage orange frame JBL D 130F ( F for Fender) 15'' speaker that is not a recone.I bought a couple a few years back at
http://www.jamminjersey.com/speakers.ph ... jblspeaker
I originally bought it for bass,but a recently purchased K 140 took care of that.I was just about to put it on ebay this week.

PM if you'd like it.Won't cost an arm and a leg.
Brian B.