Chat about Equipment Info
 #109400  by TI4-1009

My high school garage band played Stones, Who, Animals, Yardbirds, Rascals, but since then 95% of what I listen to is Dead, Dylan, and Beatles. Although I admit to being a Johnny-come-lately for Floyd.
 #109406  by vwjodyme

Tennessee Jedi wrote:I like a lot of diff music - Lamb of God not being one of them - but too each his own - the only thing I will say is I dont like to mix and match diff genres in my musical outlets.
My 1st band started as a Dead thing .... but then Alternative Music got big
We started throwing Alice N Chains and STP tunes in our sets.
BLASPHEMY I thought.
I would rather just play THIS or THAT but not both
I truly love that era of music but dont Mix N match dont mix and match !*
:smile:
* Feel free to do play how and what you want , though- its all good.
:D
i've been trying to combine one clean jerry guitar and one heavy distorted guitar, and so far it does not work. sounded good in my head but doesn't come out on recordings.

one cool one i did discover was if you click off the mutron on the estimated riff and put some heavy distortion with the notes ringing out you get a black sabbath sounding song :lol:
 #109756  by TI4-1009

One thing that stands out on the Tiger foldout is the woodgrain on the ebony headstock. It usually looks either gloss black or very faint grain- it's obvious in this photo. Makes me feel better about the obvious grain on the headstock of my new Phiga Tiger. I understand there are two species of ebony, one is jet black, the other is a little browner.

I liked the interview with Lesh, Weir, and JK too. Interesting to hear them talk about where they were headed with Further, what they were looking for and not looking for for the Jerry slot. Plus the equipment sidebar for the geeks in all of us.
 #109763  by vwjodyme

anyone know who else they tried out? sounded like JK wasn't the only one
 #110218  by TI4-1009

Mandoborg wrote:I was starting to think i was getting ripped off,or too old, because i've never heard of half the bands that are in that magazine anymore !!! This issue pays for my 2 year subscription, although who the heck are Lamb of God and why do they look so angry on the cover ?? :lol:
I had been agreeing with this, but then I looked through the mess on my footstool and found the last issue of GW, which featured the Beatles and recording info from each of the albums. I hadn't even realized that it was Guitar World.

So they did the Beatles and Further, if they hit Dylan in the next issue that's my jackpot!
 #110222  by Jon S.

TI4-1009 wrote:One thing that stands out on the Tiger foldout is the woodgrain on the ebony headstock. It usually looks either gloss black or very faint grain- it's obvious in this photo. Makes me feel better about the obvious grain on the headstock of my new Phiga Tiger. I understand there are two species of ebony, one is jet black, the other is a little browner.
Many luthiers use this on streaked ebony boards to blacken them. Others prefer the streaks. I once had a Taylor with a heavily streaked board that I preferred darker. A tiny bit of Fiebings saddlle dye on a Q-tip did the job for me in seconds. You'd better want it if you do it though - it's irreversible.

#110229  by TI4-1009

Ha! I actually used to use it on SADDLES (horse, not bridge) in a previous life!
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #111096  by TI4-1009

I gave my foldout a good home. Impossible to have too many Tiger icons around the house....

#111155  by aiq

Finally got around to reading the article last night. Generally OK, one point to which I take exception .

"...as the band threads a delicate musical needle, it becomes clear that it is more creatively original than any of the previous Post-Garcia Grateful Dead formations."

Phil Lesh Quintet. Should be in the Guiness Book of World Records for longest jam, 2000 - 2003. Phil's bands jam more than the Dead did, keeps the spirit of Live/Dead alive.

As always, just one man's opinion.
 #112338  by AlanPaul

I am the author of this article.

I reposted it here http://bit.ly/HDuMSZ

In honor of tonight's start of the Beacon run. I'll be there Thursday night.

And I agree about that Phil band.. I was referring to anything with both Phil and Bob. The Molo-Hering-Haynes-Barraco band was a real highlight for me...
 #113891  by amyjared

I still have a subscription to GW, because when I discovered tablature, it was my bible. It has now become something of a tradition and although I don't get the cd, I still subscribe. It rarely has anything that I feel drawn to, but Alan Paul, who I've read over the years, continues to contribute and keeps me informed and on my toes. He was in China for awhile and recently released a book about his adventures in Asia. He writes about the Dead and also the Allman's (and he posts on the boards, which is something that puts him head and shoulders above the rest of the writers I've run across!), plays a decent guitar (recently in NY with his buddy Andy Alendort, who played guitar for Dickey Betts on a couple of tours and is THE hendrix authority these days) and judging from his posts, really seems to enjoy the music that we do. I can't speak highly enough of him and am glad he found our site! Welcome, Alan!
 #113896  by mgbills

Yea. I listen to lots of stuff. My sons always give me crap about only listening to one band. I mean...they have a point. I spent most of their childhoods listening to Selected Tidbits from 1977-1978, recorded lovingly from SBD by a friends older brother.

Now I've broadened my scope to include 1969, 1972, 1974, 1976...some 1979-'81...and even some '89. They keep trying to get me to listen to things like Keller Williams, Xavier Rudd, and kiddie punk stuff like that. My other son likes bad '80's music, and loves to sing me Poison & Asia highlights.

In my younger years I used to dig me some Led Zep, Floyd, & Neil Young. But...well...I grew up. Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess.

I'd like to get me a Tiger centerfold.
Peace
M