#113684  by Jon S.

Where is hippieguy1954 when you need him?! :P

I have not compared the two but it's probably worth repeating what took me too long to learn about my RV300. You MUST "pre-pad" (lower the gain of) the incoming signal at least somewhat to have it sound its best (not distort). I achieve this with my SMS Classic Preamp by first setting its front gain control to 10 o'clock or so, then adjusting its rear pad knob (currently I'm at or around 3PM), then bringing up the volume on my RV300 as wanted.
 #113689  by jkstraw

Jon S. wrote:Where is hippieguy1954 when you need him?! :P

I have not compared the two but it's probably worth repeating what took me too long to learn about my RV300. You MUST "pre-pad" (lower the gain of) the incoming signal at least somewhat to have it sound its best (not distort). I achieve this with my SMS Classic Preamp by first setting its front gain control to 10 o'clock or so, then adjusting its rear pad knob (currently I'm at or around 3PM), then bringing up the volume on my RV300 as wanted.
+1 - excellent advice for the RV300
 #113696  by hippieguy1954

jkstraw wrote:
Jon S. wrote:Where is hippieguy1954 when you need him?! :P

+1 - excellent advice for the RV300
+2 on the excellent advice for the RV300. Jon S. is the V300 expert here!

Also, the V300 has reactance and definition controls where the Mosvalve does not. The reactance is suppose to simulate tube amp and the definition is like a presence/slight treble boost, (to my ears anyway). If you have any desire for those type of controls, I'd go for the V300. It is a very good amp. I sold mine because I wanted more power. Another story for another time! :roll:

The Mosvalve is also a great amp and does not have any controls except for volume. I tried one a few yrs ago and loved the sound, but again...not enough power for me. :oops: They have been liked by many players and have a great reputation, but are out of business for some reason. Not sure why. So, they are a little hard to find.
If your not a watt addict like me and you can find the one you want, I'd go for the Mosvalve.

I must say, though, the older (5 to 7 yrs) QSC PLX series are fantastic! Not real easy to find either because they last forever and were discontinued and replaced with newer technology that makes the new ones very light.
I ended up getting a 5yr old QSC PLX 1202 for $300 (ten year transferable warrantee) in perfect condition. They sold new for $750. I love it. Found mine on TalkBass forum.
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113703  by TRG

strumminsix wrote:Mosvalves should have both channel volume volume and channel presence, right??
Yes, I have an MV962 and it has both volume and presence.
 #113706  by hippieguy1954

Yes excuse me, you're correct strumminsix, the Mosvalve does have a presence control. It isn't called a definition control, like Rocktrons, which works much like a presence control, but not exactly the same.
How do you like the Mosvalve TRG?
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113711  by tcsned

I use the 962 and have had no problems with volume but I run it pretty hot (between 7 and 8). If I needed more I don't think I could get it. It's fine for 150 or so people in a club, more might be a problem though monitors could easily compensate but I try to keep amplified instruments out of the monitors. Looking for McIntosh MC2100 now . . .
 #113713  by spacefunkologist

Thanks for the replies guys!

Heres my deal. I really only need it for playing small gigs, jammin with buddies and small outdoor parties. I may in the future need more power but I dont right now. Im just wondering if I should spring for something with more juice now and dial it down for small gigs or go wth something less powerful.

Id like to get some break-up at small gig volume levels too. AHHHHHHH! This trip never ends!!! :?
 #113714  by strumminsix

spacefunkologist wrote: Id like to get some break-up at small gig volume levels too. AHHHHHHH! This trip never ends!!! :?
Well then you need to post in the strummsix section where the motto is, "bring the right sized amp to the gig"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What type of "break-up" do you want: preamp? poweramp? speaker? or the super awesome, TRIFECTA?

Preamp is simple, turn up the SMS and turn down the Mosvalve or RV300.

To get the poweramp too you'll need to either slam the hell out of the poweramp (not ideal IMO) or really turn it up so its cooking!

To get the trifecta you'll need to also add into that a low-wattage speaker.

Or you could do something like:
Deluxe Reverb 22w for small gigs
Pro Reverb 40w for medium gigs
Twin Reverb 80w for large gigs
 #113715  by search4sound

I have the single space MV-982. It has bridging so you can combine the 80 watts per channel, though for that you're not supposed to go under 8 ohms - so much for 2 8-ohm speakers in parallel. So I'm running them in series (16 ohms). Less efficient/loud, but it is safe and also good to push the amp - there's nice tubish tone with no harsh SS clipping.

I'm using a couple of pedals to boost the signal going into my pre (GT Trio), mostly to get best tone out of the pre but it also helps with the overall volume. Allows me to back off the gain on the trio, as well as volume on my guitar. Course my trio has 22u/1.5k cathode treble boost cap/ resistor (full range), and the last tube cathose dollower stage is bypassed, which gives me a little more volume, maybe similar to SMS. Normal channel gain at 5.5, volume at 8. Send out of the unut is not going through any volume or mix pot (unless I opt to, and then I have a reworked blend circuit that does not lose any volume).

Set up this way it pretty loud, probably enough for your (OP) purposes. There is also a 500 watt model out there.
 #113716  by eric

spacefunkologist wrote:Thanks for the replies guys!

Heres my deal. I really only need it for playing small gigs, jammin with buddies and small outdoor parties. I may in the future need more power but I dont right now. Im just wondering if I should spring for something with more juice now and dial it down for small gigs or go wth something less powerful.

Id like to get some break-up at small gig volume levels too. AHHHHHHH! This trip never ends!!! :?
I have never tried this exact setup, but IMHO, I think the perfect small rig for your situation would be as follows....An mc50 and a 1x12 w/ a K120... Perfectly portable small Jer setup.. Budget friendly ..I imagine plenty loud for jamming...
And it is possible to get a bit dirty with the SMS Classic... I've been experimenting with the Gain around 2-3 o'clock and without a doubt you can ride the edge of sweet preamp breakup..Let some pedals take you where else you need to go ....
 #113719  by spacefunkologist

I think youre right about that setup.....however. Right now heres my current rack setup..

Furman Power Conditioner
1976 Alembic F2B Preamp
Lexicon MPX100 Reverb

(Insert Power Amp here)

SSP 2x12 E120s or SSP 1x12 K120

Id like a MC50 but Im also leaning towards a rack mount unit just in terms of portability and my current setup. Ive only got a 6u rack and its half full already. A power amp is gonna likely fill it up depending on which one I go with. (Im leaning towards the RV300 as its only 1 rack space and a lot of you guys say its a nice unit.)
 #113720  by Jon S.

I keep my weight/item at a minimum as follows:

[SMS Classic Preamp > RV300 in its own 3U rack]>[SSP 2X12 w/Weber NeoMag on top and Jensen Neo 12-100 on bottom] powered through a Furman P1800 AR in its own 2U rack. Simple and a breeze to transport. Sounds fine, too (I know this is not the best video ever - we're supposedly hiring a pro soon to rectify this - but at least you can hear the rig at a loud outdoor volume - my first lead is at 4:00). :smile:

Last edited by Jon S. on Wed May 09, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #113721  by spacefunkologist

Jon S. I love that rig man!! Simple, light weight and good lookin to boot!!!

How do you like your speaker choices? Ive been toying with the idea of trying some JBL alternatives myself. Im tired of trying to hunt down good JBLs and paying for them too!