#113570  by keirweir

Hello everybody,

I'm considering my rig in its current state. I have a 2x12 car (bass system kicker box) that I had modified for my guitar cab. It was like $75 all together. Its loaded with Beyma Liberty speakers and to my ears couldn't sound better. The thing is its huge... Its much wider and deeper than a standard cab and has made it difficult to get into a good "rig setup" for gigs. I have seen quotes $475 to have a cab built but am having a hard time committing for a wood box for $500... Anyone have any suggestions? I would be willing to pay around $300 for a decent (ready to drop speakers in) cab. Here's the tone of the (ghetto box)

Last edited by keirweir on Mon May 07, 2012 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #113572  by Smolder

take a look on ebay. There are a couple of cab makers that build solid wood for less than $200. If you don't want the wood look (varnish, etc)... I've used truck bed liner spray... and there is a roll on solution for thick touch black coating. I haven't used it, but I have the sampler kit ($18) and can get you the site/info.
 #113585  by JonnyBoy

One sheet of plywood, cut two sides the same size, cut two tops the same size. one bottle of Wood glue, some 2" screws, cut a piece for the baffle and cut the holes for the speakers with a jig saw. that would run you about $75 bucks. You would need a screw gun, jig saw, mitre saw and a table saw. You can either dado out the corners or just use pieces of plywood to help strengthen the corners and to give an area to screw in the baffle. Good luck!
 #113586  by eric

I got mine from trmcabs.. He's on eBay as well .. 2x12 for 145.00 shipped .. Great quality
 #113587  by NSP

SSP 2x12 in garage sale right now for $375 unloaded.
 #113591  by mgbills

Somewhere on this forum is Tracy's plans from SSP. I used them for my 1x. Plan on using them on a 2x.

Search the forum "1x12 Scheme" for the Soundscaper plans.

Awesome folks. I bought my speaker clips from Tracy.
Peace
M
 #113612  by gr8fullfred

I recently bought a Mesa Boogie 2x12 "rectifier" cabinet for 150 or so on CL. It is very nice and has a split rear panel in the back, that you can remove one piece and have an open back or install it for a closed back. You might find one of these around CL or Ebay.
 #113613  by strumminsix

gr8fullfred wrote:I recently bought a Mesa Boogie 2x12 "rectifier" cabinet for 150 or so on CL. It is very nice and has a split rear panel in the back, that you can remove one piece and have an open back or install it for a closed back. You might find one of these around CL or Ebay.
I dig that too! Mine from cabguy has something similar. I can do open back, partially open or closed. Partially open is my preference!
 #113614  by keirweir

strumminsix wrote:I've got 2 cabs from this guy:
http://www.thecabguy.com/cabs.php

He'll set you up properly. I do believe your speakers are heavier so you should check with any manufacturer if they can handle the weight.

Het Strummin, I've looked into this guy too. If this potential leed falls apart I'm gonna reach out.
 #113615  by Smolder

I really like those old mesa cabs that came with EV on the bottom and V30's (or something) on top. The 4x12's go for very little, but they are pretty heavy to ship. The 2x12's aren't much smaller, but I'd love to have one.

fwiw... I tried to get in touch with thecabguy to build me a couple of cabs and never got a reply. Several emails and a couple of phone calls and got no response at all. Might have been his vacation, but after a couple of weeks I ended up going with mojo cabs and am very happy with the result. I know I'm not the only one... It looks like he does great work though. Had I known about SSM or TRM I would have checked them out as well.
 #113617  by strumminsix

Smolder wrote:fwiw... I tried to get in touch with thecabguy to build me a couple of cabs and never got a reply. Several emails and a couple of phone calls and got no response at all. Might have been his vacation, but after a couple of weeks I ended up going with mojo cabs and am very happy with the result. I know I'm not the only one... It looks like he does great work though. Had I known about SSM or TRM I would have checked them out as well.
Wow, you are the 2nd one to say that. I'll stop recommending him. I've been using his cabs since since June of 2007 and love em! Sorry for the lack of results.