#113281  by Tony6Strings

Built one of the BYOC 250+ kits to Distortion+ specs. It sounds good, but the output pot is not very effective. To achieve unity gain, I've gotta dial it in around 2 to 3 oclock. Is this standard for these? This is the first one I've had. I like the effect, it's very usable, more transparent than a DS-1 and not as finicky, fizzy etc... Falls more into the camp of those effects that bridge the gap between overdrive and distortion, at least to my ears. But I wish I had a little more leeway with the output. Also, does anybody know which specs this clone reproduces, IE vintage or Dunlop? Thanks...
 #113292  by eric

I had to nearly dime mine to get to unity if I was trying to keep the distortion reasonably low... .. And then it just got too noisy and grainy sounding. But that was a reissue ..I didn't really care for it at all .. That's just me ... Plenty of guys can coax great tone out of them.
 #113335  by jeffm725

you using an OBEL?
The D+ (for me) sounds great in the OBEL, but when I am just playing tele
or strats as normal guitar configs, I dont really care for the D+, I tend to use Tubescreamer variations.

No doubt though that in the OBEL the D+ is quintessential Jerry. it just behaves differently in the Loop with the constant full output of the PUPS, and also rolling off the tone pot on the axe gives you that nice late 70's Horn sounding distortion.
 #113336  by Tony6Strings

jeffm725 wrote:you using an OBEL?
The D+ (for me) sounds great in the OBEL, but when I am just playing tele
or strats as normal guitar configs, I dont really care for the D+, I tend to use Tubescreamer variations.

No doubt though that in the OBEL the D+ is quintessential Jerry. it just behaves differently in the Loop with the constant full output of the PUPS, and also rolling off the tone pot on the axe gives you that nice late 70's Horn sounding distortion.
No OBEL here. Did some messing around with it and found some setting that work pretty well, IE dime the output and put the gain at around 9 to 10 oclock. It took me by surprise cause I've never had a pedal that had such a weak output. I too use a TS variation, a Fulldrive 2, for lots of stuff, it's got a clean boost function that is really cool for the Jerry thing, especially when I run it before the Dist+.
 #113341  by jmfranc

If you want to increase the amount of volume you get then change the 10k resistor just before the diodes to 1k. I had this done on my vintage Dist+ with great success.

A person we all know on this board liked it so much he did it to his own.

Quote: "pedal is all done and ready to get shipped in the morning. this thing ROCKS!!! you're gonna love it! i liked the volume mod so much i actually did it to mine. in fact, i think jerry just might have had the same thing done to his. it really opens up the usefulness of the dist+. i used to pretty much have to dime the volume and have the distortion at about 10:30/11 o'clock, anything more would saturate with distortion, more then needed. with the volume mod there is just way more control of this thing. wolume full on stock, is now about 12 o'clock modded. so you can see how much more control is available. "
 #113342  by hippieguy1954

jmfranc wrote:If you want to increase the amount of volume you get then change the 10k resistor just before the diodes to 1k. I had this done on my vintage Dist+ with great success.

A person we all know on this board liked it so much he did it to his own.

Quote: "pedal is all done and ready to get shipped in the morning. this thing ROCKS!!! you're gonna love it! i liked the volume mod so much i actually did it to mine. in fact, i think jerry just might have had the same thing done to his. it really opens up the usefulness of the dist+. i used to pretty much have to dime the volume and have the distortion at about 10:30/11 o'clock, anything more would saturate with distortion, more then needed. with the volume mod there is just way more control of this thing. wolume full on stock, is now about 12 o'clock modded. so you can see how much more control is available. "
I've been planning on doing that mod to mine, but after seeing your post I'm wondering why it says here.. http://www.dominocs.com/ToneWorks/DistPlusoutput.html to change the 10K resistor to 100 ohm and not 1K. Any thoughts?
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113345  by Tony6Strings

Cool! That's a quick and easy mod. It'd be kind of cool if the BYOC people knew about this, that way they could throw the resistor into the kit (still confused, 1k or 100 ohm?) as an extra option. As is (with this kit) they send you all the parts to build either a DOD 250 or a Dist+, also they send some extra diodes that you can experiment with. As soon as someone can clarify on the resistor value I'll head down to the Radioshack to see if they've got what I need, which is doubtful, cause these days all they seem to have is cellphone accessories, and every time I need something they seem to not have it and I've got to order it online. Ah well, worth a shot. Peace!
 #113361  by hippieguy1954

jmfranc wrote:That's the exact page I followed - do what it says. 100-ohm
Thanks for the clarification! :smile: :smile: :smile: