#113297  by Jimaroe

Anybody own or have any experience with Allen Amps? I believe they are built in KY, and have names like Hot Fudge and Hot Fudge w/ Nuts (literally) There's one listed on CrAigslist in CO, I was thinking about checking out. I've seen a couple YouTube clips but no personal experience with them and couldn't locate anything here with regard to them.

Here's the link :

http://www.allenamps.com/hotfudge.php
 #113298  by paulinnc

I have heard nothing but good things about them, re-creations of classic Fender bf amps. I looked at buying one of his kits but even the kits are super expensive.
 #113300  by Smolder

He's the guy that the "allen mod" is named after... making the old sf baseman a killer and very versatile amp.

I have a handful of his transformers in a few fender amps. Great stuff... David really knows what he is doing. I know of his amps and kits by reputation only... and that's all very good.
 #113302  by gr8fullfred

Ok those amps look nice, but for the price I could buy a vintage blackface DeLuxe Reverb, and have the best amp ever made, not a copy or emulation of the best amp ever made.

For that price I would be looking at a Blackface Deluxe Reverb, maybe upgrade the speaker in it.
Not to mention you are not far from a Mesa Mark V (or Mark IV).

JMHO, Fred
 #113305  by rugger

I think I'm in the "go vintage" camp. Unless of course the deal is too good to pass up. No doubt they are very fine amps and you might get a couple nifty additional features: deep switch, soul control etc..in fact, I'm sure it's "nicer" than a vintage fender, but it will generally be harder to flip if that time ever comes. A vintage Fender on the other hand will slowly appreciate in value and you will always be able to move it if need be.

To give you an idea of what's out there, I just picked up this '64 transitional 6G2 Princeton for $1,100 out the door. Obviously, it's the penguin on the left. The thing had been serviced and the speaker reconed. It was good to go and it sounds great. Not to mention it's pretty damn clean.

john in san diego
 #113310  by Jimaroe

Cool. Thanks for the input guys. I may try to contact the guy and see if it's still available. I don't wanna be a "tire kicker" and waste his time, but I really liked the thought of going true vintage if possible. Thanks fellers~

Jim