#112780  by Ridin'onaQwazar

this might have been tackled before on the forum but, i was wondering if anyone has a concrete setting for bp/lp/hp and sweep up/down. ive dialed in all different combos, and can get close with certain combos. on estimated prophet the f#m( as bobby steps forward, hand in the air) is a good way for me to tell but it all can sound similar if you dial it in right. any help?
 #112811  by jahozer

Im pretty sure you want to keep it on LP (Im at work, could be wrong)
but other than that, its really variable. You really want to have a strong signal going to it, and set it so the envelope just barely opens on your hardest attack. this gives you the buwah sound you are going for. Too much and you get a "bugedah" sounding quack.
The thing with these damn things is what makes them so cool, makes them a bit difficult. There is really no concrete setting. You have to play with it.
 #112991  by hawk900

Low pass is the only way to go. Sweep UP for99% of Jer tunes except for eg. Dancin late 70's(I'm sure more here can add to the smaller% of SweepDownTunes). I'm not sure exactly the order of the pedals front facing in Jers rack but he might even use one of his 2 boss 7eq pedals after the Mutron to bring the treble down for the high strings. They can get ear piercing at times especially as the estimated lead gets higher and higher. I use mainly for Estimated,Shakedown,Ramble on and some spacy stuff with my OC-2.
hawk
ps. There is a concrete setting if you use TCP-1 with on board FX loop. Once you get it based on the gain from your guitar pre just mark the location. If you are sending signal to it after your guitar volume knob nothing is concrete. An envelope filter is probably one the most volume sensitive pedals especially when trying to achieve the jer quack.
Last edited by hawk900 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #112992  by gr8fullfred

LP (Low Pass) and Sweep Up is the mode you want for the classic Jerryish Shakedown, Estimated,
Stranger, FOTM sound. In dancing, Jerry is somehow able to use the Sweep Down mode to make a decent sound. This is amazing in that I just do not like the "DONK" sound of the Sweep Down mode.
Remember that Jerry only used it for this one song. I sometimes play around with Dancing using the normal "Sweep Up" (Auto Wah) sound and I like that better than me using the sweep down mode. I would say do not use the sweep down mode, unless you really want to emulate Jerry 100% on Dancing. I just do not like the DONK sound. Love the auto wah sound however.
 #112993  by hawk900

Yeah the early Strangers were sweet with Mutron but late 89 90 etc I use strickly OC-2 Boss Octave 1 on full.