#112142  by mijknahs

I think it would be great if more lead guitarists in original bands sounded more like Jerry. Too many rock guitarists sound like other (more generic) rock guitarists that it's kind of worn out and boring.

If more peple sounded like Jerry, modern music would be a lot more interesting to listen to. Music would be more jazzy, psychedelic and flowing.

I am currently involved in a new, original project and of course my playing will sound kind of "like Jerry".

Jim
 #112144  by Octal

mijknahs wrote:I think it would be great if more lead guitarists in original bands sounded more like Jerry. Too many rock guitarists sound like other (more generic) rock guitarists that it's kind of worn out and boring.

If more peple sounded like Jerry, modern music would be a lot more interesting to listen to. Music would be more jazzy, psychedelic and flowing.

I am currently involved in a new, original project and of course my playing will sound kind of "like Jerry".

Jim
Wouldn't that just make Jerry into one of those "generic rock guitarists?"
 #112258  by tcsned

seamones wrote:When I silently sit still, i sound exactly like jerry did doing the same. Its eerie.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #112259  by mijknahs

Octal wrote:Wouldn't that just make Jerry into one of those "generic rock guitarists?"
I guess it would if "everyone" did it but... It would just jazz things up a bit.
 #112308  by Octal

You think Jerry players have it bad in non-dead cover bands? What about bass players who sound too much like Phil?
 #112311  by strumminsix

Octal wrote:You think Jerry players have it bad in non-dead cover bands? What about bass players who sound too much like Phil?
Same goes for us Bobby types. In other projects I get told, "beef it up, man" as I dissect the music, find the wholes and accent, fill some, leave others.
 #112316  by jahozer

Ive gotten both ends. Some of the less dead bands have called me on it, "dude, its not a dead song". And other jerry types have commented on how they are a better Jerry...I dont really play with those dudes anymore! :lol:

Our new Bobby guy is a great Bobby guy, and Im loving it. His inversions, little lines, his dissonance, its all a welcome change.

Our bass player is very busy like Phil. He can play straighter, but he doesnt like to. I love his playing, others, maybe might want more babonk babonk babonk out of him. I let him do whatever he wants...Even when he pisses me off with statements like, "well, I dont really like the soloing so much" To which he is told hes in the wrong fucking band!

Bottom line is that he gets it and loves it. So does the rest of the band. Others do not. We have been in the situation of people coming into the band not out of a love of Dead inspired playing, but for want of a gig. They underestimate it, then get frustrated at the sheer volume of things they need to know and instinctively do, get defensive, and then the cracks soon appear...
 #112959  by dre

I like to think that learning how to play from listening to jerry gave me the tools to play anything really. My personal style will always be my own no matter what, mostly because of lack of skill or messing up lol.. but what I really tried to get from Jerry's style was being able to adapt to different musical situations.

Here's an example though, this is me playing along with Franklin's Tower.. probably jerry esq in tone and overall bouncyness, and ofcourse I am purposely trying to recreate some of his licks here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnDU5iA ... ure=relmfu

Now here's me learning how to play a Descendents song... I don't think I sound anything like Jerry on it honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RpS9O9EFoI