#112847  by eric

Gonna be retooling my pedalboard soon and can't decide which to score first... Waldo buffer in pedal form, or the Earthdrive...

I want to run the Earthdrive as an always on pedal, and currently am
Using a Boss SD here and there and canned my MXR reissue as it was horrible...
I am running all my effects without any kind of loop at the moment...

Which would you go for?
 #112857  by eric

Exactly , I was def already thinking about grabbing 2 .. But I was also think of trying out the pigtronix FAT at the beginning of the chain , and having my ED right before my SMSJG input ... I've been following his threads on overly loud clean ss amps, and think I absolutely fall into that category with my crown drivecore.. 2 sweet ODs like the ED and FAT would probably be ridiculously sweet...

I suppose I'll keep havin to use the buffer in my VisualVolume for now.

. I just feel like I need to get this stuff while guys like Brad and Waldo are still making thier excellent gear...
 #112859  by hippieguy1954

I would get the buffer in the guitar first. It not only makes your clean sound much better, but makes all the effects you are already using sound better.
Then I would get ED! Just my opinion. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #112874  by eric

Thanks Hip, I really am torn here. I feel like the ED would be more fun, but both equally important. but I'm not going to be installing the buffer in any guitars at the moment , that's why I want a Waldo buffer in pedal form , so I can get some of the benefits of it now...but after revisiting the "Black Box", I'm now thinking about snagging the ED and BB , and waiting to just throw the TPC-1 into my project guitar ( still undecided) for the full jer setup ,when the time comes (hopefully soon).
I also am going to be adding a 2 or 3 loop bypass pedal instead of something like a GCX switcher.
 #112885  by hippieguy1954

Yea, the ED would be more fun. I'm gonna get one down the road too. Patience, Patience!

As far as the buffer goes, I have 4 electric guitars that I love.

The first one I put a buffer in was my Jerryschecter with the 3 super2's,OBEL etc., but the first thing I did to it was the buffer.

I just put one in my Carvin with no other mods.

My 2 other guitars are next in line . Strat (stock) and a Vantage with two super2's and coil split switches.

It is amazing to me that guitars don't come with them as a matter of course or at least an option, but that is another story.

As far as I'm concerned, it is as important to your tone as anything else as far as electronics! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #112886  by milobender

hippieguy1954 wrote:It is amazing to me that guitars don't come with them as a matter of course or at least an option, but that is another story. As far as I'm concerned, it is as important to your tone as anything else as far as electronics!
I couldn't agree more! :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #112944  by eric

Gents , thanks for your support and info ... I made the decision incredibly easy... I just got both !!! Wahoo!
 #113717  by eric

First off , I would like to personally thank Waldo... The TPC-1 in pedal form w/loop is a fine piece of gear . JustinJohn summed it up perfectly in his thread.."an organic piezo-ish quality"..."more meat in the highs" more well defined lows... It's recognizable as soon as your hear it ...

I really had no idea what I was missing.. I think it's just a big a change as when I switched to JBLs.. Well , maybe not that big , but plenty close! Thanks again !
 #113734  by hippieguy1954

eric wrote:First off , I would like to personally thank Waldo... The TPC-1 in pedal form w/loop is a fine piece of gear . JustinJohn summed it up perfectly in his thread.."an organic piezo-ish quality"..."more meat in the highs" more well defined lows... It's recognizable as soon as your hear it ...

I really had no idea what I was missing.. I think it's just a big a change as when I switched to JBLs.. Well , maybe not that big , but plenty close! Thanks again !
I have a TPC-1 in my Jerryschecter along with OBEL, super2's etc. and I also have one I installed in my effects loop box (like Waldo made for you), for when I use any other of my non buffer/OBEL guitars. They both work great, but when the TPC-1 is in the guitar (closer to the pickups), the effect is even more noticeable and dramatic.
Eventually, I'll take the buffer out of the loop box and put it into one of my guitars when I have the time and $ to get two more so all the guitars have the buffer inside!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #113753  by eric

I can't wait to put one in my project gtr now, but having Waldos pedal with Fx loop is sooo cool because of its versatility . I love the fact that I'll always be able to have the pedal for use with any guitar. I actually just schemed my pedalboard in a pretty interesting way . I go into the buffer, I have a few fx in the loop, but then I send that to the volume pedal . From there I'm going to be going out to my ED ( as soon as it gets here) and then out to my compressor to the SMS. This will allow me to run a cleaned up dirt pedal , yet if I need more dirt for lead type stuff, I just increase the gain of the volume pedaI and it wont affect my loop (qtron etc) should be up and running with this setup soon , and let everyone know how it works out. But I'm pretty positive this will give me the ability to use oBEL and still have the ability to clean up dirt at the same time . Yes , that means a few fx are out of the loop, yet theres only 2 true bypass pedals out of the loop, and with the buffer, I don't see it being a major tone sucking issue . Itll probably take a while to find the right zone , but it should be sweet, I hope..
 #113976  by eric

Another score ! Just picked up a minty Phase 90 off my local CL for $35.00... Did a real quick R28 Mod to it , which I believe is a midrange feed back circuit resistor (I'm no elec whiz) . Im pretty sure its called the "Script" mod . It def did smooth it out bit .. I was really diggin just the one knob to play with. There are plenty other knobs to worry about.. And arpeggios were like instant Gilmour .. Awesome ...
 #114023  by eric

I just did the C11 - C12 mod as well ..Super simple.. Now this thing is really mellow.