#112325  by mraugustwest

hello all,

so i was daydreaming about trying to build a pickup and am finding that it has quite a bit of overlap with some of the work i do at work. i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of using different coil geometries for the coil? i know the wrapping tiny ~43awg wire in a solenoid is the standard, but has anyone hear of using saddle coils or Helmholtz coils or birdcage coils?

my initial thoughts were that the other geometries would require a fatter magnet wire to be used. i do not have any experience with pickup building, but i am guessing that the fatter the wire the less broadband of a frequency profile of the inductor. i also don't have a clue about how sensitivity is affected by moving to a fatter wire with less turns or a saddle coil or something like that.

like i said, i don't know what i'm doing but i just thought to throw this out there and see if anyone has any experience with this. so just to be more specific, anyone have an opinion of what a pickup that would use a 22awg magnet wire in a saddle coil geo would be like? or if it was even possible? i'm just figuring that this might be fun to tinker around with at work. thanks to any electro-guitar engineers out there who may shine some light on this...
 #112330  by milobender

I don't know alot about the mechanics involved, but I pretty sure the amount of current generated from a coil is proportional to the number of winds, so fatter wire, fewer winds, less current... There are undoubtably more knowledgeable folks than I here... but, you can make a little electric motor with lots of winds of small wire, and one with fewer winds of bigger wire, and you will see, the small wire/more winds motor will be much more powerful. I would be suprised if different bobbin shapes and winding styles didn't make some sort of difference in sound quality. Make yourself a winder and try it! :smile: :smile: I made one and use homemade pups on both my guitars.