#112039  by Jerry1996x

Hey all, I asked this question once before but never got a solid answer. I was wondering if any of you would have an idea of how to cut out the control plate part of a pickguard to be replaced with an alligator style brass control plate. The only response ive gotten was to trace the shape and use an exacto knife and just go at it untill its thin enough to just break off, but theres gotta be a simpler way. Any suggestions?
 #112041  by milobender

That would be one way of doing it...

There are many kinds of cutting tools... if you are really inexperienced, and you want it to look really nice, take it to someone with the proper tools and experience... if you don't care for it to be just exactly perfect, get a fine hacksaw blade and go to it :D
 #112075  by milobender

A dremel will work, but it spins so fast it tends to melt the plastic, and that really makes a mess.

If you use a jig saw, be sure to protect the surface of the pickguard or you'll scratch the hell out of it.

A band saw will work as long as the teeth are fine enough.

I'd still use a plain, fine hacksaw bland and just take my time... there are just two small cuts.

Actually I'm waiting for a pickguard from someone to do just exactly what you are talking about... :D :smile: :D
 #112076  by mgbills

Or...
Talk to John at Terrapin Pickguards and have him fabricate the exact shape for the pickguard you want. He's a great guy & easy to work with. They have all the right toys.

Peace
M
 #112079  by Pete B.

mgbills wrote:Or...
Talk to John at Terrapin Pickguards and have him fabricate the exact shape for the pickguard you want. He's a great guy & easy to work with. They have all the right toys.

Peace
M
Marty,
Any chance you could post a pic of the blue guitar as an example?
I don't have access to a pic right now.
Pete
 #116661  by al.hurst

I guess this would be a good thread to ask this in...

What about cutting brass? is it hard? And also drilling the holes, would any old metal bit do the job?
 #116667  by Mosfed

Dude the issue is how well can you cut / shape the brass plate for the control plate. If the answer is infinitely well then you don't really care what the plastic cutter does. If the answer is my brass plate is shaped like x - I would take it along. it dictates the cut fer chur

what pickups are you going to us?