rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

 #111728  by tomtom1966
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 am
Hey all,

If one were to build a rack type rig "Bob" style ala the 80's where would one begin as far as components go? I know the basics such as a power amp but what type and how much power? Pre amp as well......I see the SMS is pretty popular here. I currently use a Fender Twin but may move towards building the rack system but it would be a first for me in this regard so Im a little unsure of what would be needed.
 #111731  by strumminsix
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 am
tomtom1966 wrote:Hey all,

If one were to build a rack type rig "Bob" style ala the 80's where would one begin as far as components go? I know the basics such as a power amp but what type and how much power? Pre amp as well......I see the SMS is pretty popular here. I currently use a Fender Twin but may move towards building the rack system but it would be a first for me in this regard so Im a little unsure of what would be needed.
Which part of the 80s?

With an SMS + TubeWorks + Ibanez UE700 I'm covered from late 70s to early 80s.

Into the mid and later I recall seeing Soldano amps, Marshall heads, etc..
 #111732  by tomtom1966
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am
strumminsix wrote:Which part of the 80s?
You know for some reason I knew I should have specified but didn't......LOL.

Anyway, I am partial to the sound from 1987 but given that's where Bob started to get into the MIDI stuff it may not be ideal so you 70's to 80's seems ideal. I am a bit leery on getting "used" equipment though. I would like to keep the gear somewhat "new" or slightly used.
 #111733  by strumminsix
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:01 pm
tomtom1966 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Which part of the 80s?
You know for some reason I knew I should have specified but didn't......LOL.

Anyway, I am partial to the sound from 1987 but given that's where Bob started to get into the MIDI stuff it may not be ideal so you 70's to 80's seems ideal. I am a bit leery on getting "used" equipment though. I would like to keep the gear somewhat "new" or slightly used.
I too used to be anti "used gear". Growing I saw alot of shitty and beat-up used gear and it being in the shop more than the stage.

But over the past 10 years of regular gigging I've found that well maintained new gear performs just as well as well maintained old/used gear.

I've had used gear get a tune-up on purchase and last 6 years without issue and a new amp die in the middle of a first gig!
 #111735  by tomtom1966
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:08 pm
strumminsix wrote:
tomtom1966 wrote:
strumminsix wrote:Which part of the 80s?
You know for some reason I knew I should have specified but didn't......LOL.

Anyway, I am partial to the sound from 1987 but given that's where Bob started to get into the MIDI stuff it may not be ideal so you 70's to 80's seems ideal. I am a bit leery on getting "used" equipment though. I would like to keep the gear somewhat "new" or slightly used.
I too used to be anti "used gear". Growing I saw alot of shitty and beat-up used gear and it being in the shop more than the stage.

But over the past 10 years of regular gigging I've found that well maintained new gear performs just as well as well maintained old/used gear.

I've had used gear get a tune-up on purchase and last 6 years without issue and a new amp die in the middle of a first gig!
Ok Ill do some research into this........but how many watts was the amp you recommended or how many watts should the rack amp have? I plan on using 2 x 12's and interchange it with a 1 x 12 based on venue.
 #111736  by strumminsix
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:28 pm
tomtom1966 wrote:Ok Ill do some research into this........but how many watts was the amp you recommended or how many watts should the rack amp have? I plan on using 2 x 12's and interchange it with a 1 x 12 based on venue.
Here's my stage rig as it's been and will be for a spell:
Image

I would never swap out my 2x12. Gives me tons of clarity!!

Mine is 80 watts per (2) channel. I think 50 x2 would be my minimum like the Rocktron V100 but the V300 looks much nicer with the “Reactance” control!
http://www.rocktron.com/products/amplif ... locity300/

Now my effects that I'm left with are very much a hybrid of different eras :)
 #111738  by gr8fullfred
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm
If one was to build a "Bobby Rig" is there a target on the side of the rack, so when it is time to kick the rack, you know exactly where to kick it? Or can you just kick it anywhere? Inquiring minds want to know!


about 5:44


or then again a couple of years earlier at about 2:23:00

Last edited by gr8fullfred on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #111740  by tomtom1966
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:50 pm
gr8fullfred wrote:If one was to build a "Bobby Rig" is there a target on the side of the rack, so when it is time to kick the rack, you know exactly where to kick it? Or can you just kick it anywhere? Inquiring minds want to know!


about 5:44
Yeah I remember watching that at the time.....he was not happy.
 #111741  by tomtom1966
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:54 pm
strumminsix wrote:
tomtom1966 wrote:Ok Ill do some research into this........but how many watts was the amp you recommended or how many watts should the rack amp have? I plan on using 2 x 12's and interchange it with a 1 x 12 based on venue.
Here's my stage rig as it's been and will be for a spell:
Image

I would never swap out my 2x12. Gives me tons of clarity!!

Mine is 80 watts per (2) channel. I think 50 x2 would be my minimum like the Rocktron V100 but the V300 looks much nicer with the “Reactance” control!
http://www.rocktron.com/products/amplif ... locity300/

Now my effects that I'm left with are very much a hybrid of different eras :)
That V300 is not to shabby and well within budget.

Ok so let me see..from what I can tell you have:

2 x 12 cabs
Power amp 2 x 80
SMS preamp?? Cant see it too well...
Tuner.. Korg?
Power conditioner? Furman
Various pedals..

Cant make out the other 2 rack items....
 #111743  by strumminsix
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:21 pm
tomtom1966 wrote:
Ok so let me see..from what I can tell you have:

2 x 12 cabs
Power amp 2 x 80
SMS preamp?? Cant see it too well...
Tuner.. Korg?
Power conditioner? Furman
Various pedals..

Cant make out the other 2 rack items....
Here's the lowdown:
2x12 w/ Weber Neos
Furman pc
SMS
Shure wireless
VooDoo labs GCX (controller for to bring pedals in and out)
Pedals (Emma Discombobulator, Catalinbread Serrano Picasso, Barber LTD SR, Maxom PH-3350 and a cmatmods Deeelay in the back)
TubeWorks 1160
 #111748  by tomtom1966
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:54 pm
strumminsix wrote:
tomtom1966 wrote:
Ok so let me see..from what I can tell you have:

2 x 12 cabs
Power amp 2 x 80
SMS preamp?? Cant see it too well...
Tuner.. Korg?
Power conditioner? Furman
Various pedals..

Cant make out the other 2 rack items....
Here's the lowdown:
2x12 w/ Weber Neos
Furman pc
SMS
Shure wireless
VooDoo labs GCX (controller for to bring pedals in and out)
Pedals (Emma Discombobulator, Catalinbread Serrano Picasso, Barber LTD SR, Maxom PH-3350 and a cmatmods Deeelay in the back)
TubeWorks 1160
Great!!........thanks for the clarification. Appreciated.
 #111759  by Dozin
 Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:24 pm
I love my Mesa Studio rack unit and Crest LA601 power amp. I think Eaton was using the same stuff for awhile. I'm also using a Sarno SSBB. If your not using active pickups the SSBB is a must.