#111642  by Smolder

Just thought I'd share.

#111652  by hippieguy1954

Hey man, thanks for sharing! Is that your rig or are you just sharing pics of Twins? :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #111654  by Smolder

It's mine. Both twins are rehab projects with most of the alembic mods. No input or pre-out alterations.

Both twins are set up as half power with a single JBL.
 #111670  by rugger

Cool! Take me through the signal chain, please!

john in san diego
 #111681  by Smolder

rugger wrote:Cool! Take me through the signal chain, please!

john in san diego

I'm using a les Paul with jmrolph pickups. I sit on the neck when practicing, and am there about 60% of the time in a band mix. These pickups are the clearest and most musical I've found. I haven't been wanting for single coils.

I'm playing with a bunch of boost/overdriven... KOT, flying dragon boost, Klone, and a Timmy, then the phase 100. I'm not a big user of effects, so I have a loop there (it doesn't go out much) with echo, envelope and sometimes an EQ.

Then to the ABY and to the two amps. Wet/dry for me simply means reverb through only one amp/speaker. I have reverb on the board if I want extra, or on both channels. Relatively simple. I've used the ABY to engage both channels of a single twin, but I like the blend of two distinct signals each throu their own speaker.

It's a constanty changing configuration... A low watt rig and a medium watt rig. I'm not trying to imitate, but am heavily influenced by both Jerry and Bob... Plus Duane, joe, etc ; )
 #111719  by rugger

[quote="Smolder" It's a constanty changing configuration... A low watt rig and a medium watt rig. I'm not trying to imitate, but am heavily influenced by both Jerry and Bob... Plus Duane, joe, etc ; )[/quote]

We are similar beasts. I have a ton of stuff (dare I say too much?) that I swap in and out for fun. And like you, I'm heavily influenced by Jer and Bob but I don't get the chance to imitate. **sigh** maybe one day I'll find the right group of guys... **/sigh**

In the meantime, you have inspired me to setup a dual amp rig for my next jam! I'm thinking a '67 Princeton Reverb for the clean/wet side and a tweed Deluxe for the dry/overdrive side.

Btw, you have two amps in that picture I want to play and they are not the Twins. How is that Z and the Hiwatt?

john in san diego
 #111726  by tcsned

I used to do some non-Dead gigs with my Twin and JCM 800 and an ABY box. Not a low powered rig but it kicked ass.
 #111729  by mijknahs

What mods did you do to get half power besides pulling 2 of the tubes and running just one 8 ohm speaker?
 #111747  by barefootdave

I also have a Dr. Z MAZ 18 and it is absolutely the go to amp for my live shows. It is NOT super clean, but just right if want to get a variety of tones. Took a few days to get it dialed in, but now it is impossible to get it to sound bad.

I use an ABY switch at home with a pair of little Gibson 8w combos, each with Weber 10" speakers. At the gig I actually use the ABY into both inputs of the Dr. Z, with one side going through my effects chain, the other straight in. That way I can go straight into the amp while I change effects, then hit the ABY to switch back to the new effected setting.

Works great.
 #111755  by Smolder

@rugger, the Z is great, but I don't know it well. I've had it two weeks, but am so caught up in the mod'd twin JBL tone it's just sitting there. The other is a marwatt. It's an 18 watt with one marshall and on hiwatt voiced channell... But with 6V6's. Coolest amp I own... Built it before I knew what I was doing and got incredibly lucky.

@mijkhan, no mods. Pull two power tubes (inside or outside) and rebias. It shifts the OT load so that 8 ohm is a match, but I wouldn't hesitate to run two speakers at 4 ohm, I just don't need it.

@barefootdave, I had an 18. A few years ago and loved it, that's a maz8. I plan to pair it with a Princeton Reverb for a low volume rig.

The Z amps, with the right speakers can be great mid range amps. Kimock turned me on to (we met, but aren't like buds or anything, but I like reading his posts on the gear page) the two amps with different tonal curves thing. As you play up and down the neck the sound swooshes back and forth... And sometimes jumps out of one or the other. Pretty wild. The only down side is that running both at once sounds so huge it's hard to switch ack to just one.
 #111756  by Smolder

barefootdave wrote:At the gig I actually use the ABY into both inputs of the Dr. Z, with one side going through my effects chain, the other straight in. That way I can go straight into the amp while I change effects, then hit the ABY to switch back to the new effected setting.

Works great.
Very cool... I'll have to try that. Sometimes the phase 100 is too intense... That would allow some blend and lower effects intensity with both channels on.